Old School Hip Hop x Chillhop Guitar beat "Explore"

TheOfficialAtek

Last edited:
Youtube started it from 0:46 point, that's weird, I had to start it again from beginning(maybe you should check your link IDK).
Now about the track itself. I'm not sure but the beat from the start promises super hardcore sound, I think it is because of drums, maybe only hats, they give some aggressive bounce of some sort and without heavy bass and pounding kick I feel tricked in unfunny way. Reconsider at least the hat line, maybe drums altogether. I would suggst some modern samples to go with Drake's "Started from the bottom" feel that your beat gives me.
Pianos are too weak and plain in my opinion. They need more accentuation at least in some parts of song. Like play with velocity and/or transient shaping. Maybe add somewhere in 400-600 for piano, cause it lacks body.
I personally would add some suttle additional high piano parts, just subtle barely audible pieces. You have something like that but it took me like 5 times to hear them. Some bridge with pads would be nice too. You can try cut out filter automation for drums to make the beat less repetitive.
Beat is nice and gives me Silent Hill vibes. But to make those vibes stronger you need to work with your drums more, they are not fitting I think. They are like mean muggin' and aggressive yet the overall atmosphere of beat is gloomy and vague, coated with thick layer of myst, maybe some less bright drums would do, just some low-pass filter may work in this case.

Best regards.

Last edited:
That's great feedback! As for the pianos, those were apart of a sample in which were already low from the get go. So the only way in which I could raise the volume was by raising volume on entire sample which and I wanted the guitar to be dominant. I see what you are saying though, I even tried raising it with the eq. I'ma definitely work on my drums though, thanks for feedback!

Last edited:
Nice beat I like this still I would call this a hip-hop beat it does have chilled elements but the drum pattern is a lil too aggressive to be a chilled beat I agree with the user above about the piano it could use more presence in the mix and the kick can use more punch its quite weak if the beat was more on the hard side the drum patterns would fit in more they don't sound bad its just they don't fit the chilled vibes but overall I like the idea you was going for.

You may try add your vst piano on top of a sample. I hear some higher melody in there, you can inspire yourself by Moby's Porcelain YouTube
It is obvious yours is not planned as jolly as example I suggested but you know what I mean. Just light almost flying high piano melody with some paranormal eeriness in it maybe. (can't help myself but associating your piece with silent hill, lol)

Here's my link I forgot it last time

Mojito [Retro-ish Vapor-ish Nostalgic Beat]

Back