New 9th Wonder Type Track F4F

Dan Smackroyd

After being stuck, feeling like i haven't been able to make anything I even slightly like, I made this tonight. As always, feedback for feedback. Feel free to post links to your threads and I'll return the favor as soon as possible.
All feedback appreciated, both good and bad. Thanks in advance. Let's go...

change the rhythm of the drums (kick and snare). smells like teen spirit rhythm. you know?--the snare and kick rhythm that grohl plays during the chorus.

Thanks Picasso. Smells Like Teen Spirit huh? Interesting...
I've been trying to switch it up from the boom bap, boom-boom bap thing. I guess it didn't com out all that well though. I definitely wasn't going for Nirvana. Thanks for the advice. I also take the crunchy sounding snare down a few notches, as well as alter the timing of the sample chops that sound just a little bit off, and take out the bass while I'm at it.
If anyone's else has some feedback for me, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

1st things 1st, I didn't get a 9th Wonder vibe in the slightest. That's semantics but it means something, because that's why I chose to listen to this beat.

That said, I did not like the choice of drums you selected. They didn't feel dynamic to me at all. The snare didn't have punch, the kick didn't thump to me, and the hi hats were unnoticable and didn't really provide a bounce.

That said, I feel like the main melody did provide bounce which is one thing this beat had going for it. I don't know what BPM this was at, but it felt really quick, like 96? I could be off. I wouldn't mind hearing this slowed down just a little bit. The reversed effect was a real cool idea, maybe mess around with having parts where it's not reversed or something.

This was made pretty decently, just my two cents on my biggest gripe, which is the sound selection for the drums.

If you get a chance, hit me back with some feedback 'Red Light', Trap Beat. REALLY need feedback, stepping out of my comfort zone on this

the samples are dope, but like others have said the drums aren't quite right. the main thing i don't like is the hat/shaker. it just sounds reaaally out of place to me.
also the spacey samples that come in at around the 1 minute mark are hitting late. they should be hitting right on the kick, but there is a slight delay happening.
i'd say just clean up some of your sample chops and find some drums that will complement the groove of the samples.
you have the start of a really dope track. i like how much variation there is w/ the vocal samples and the spacey samples (what do u call those btw?)
good work man, keep at it

Thank you guys for the feedback. And yes, I think the best was at 96 actually. The samples are not actually reversed, although I could see why you would think that. The envelope settings on the velocity have a slower attack.
As for the spacey part that comes in at the chorus, is actually just an effect I came across. Usually I prefer playing stuff like that out with a synth, but the effect seemed to fit at the time, although the timing is off.
I agree, the shaker sounding "hat" or whatever makes the drums sound even more off. That needs to go. I may just redo the drums completely.
Usually I just try to get a rough idea out of my head and into the DAW, put it together, and move on. After 9 months of getting into music prediction, I'm still not at the point where I'm making stuff I'm 100% happy with. I'll spend anywhere from 30 minutes to 4-5 hours on something and it's on to the next one.
Recently I'm finally starting to make some things that are good enough to go back to to touch up or change.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm about to go into work. I'll check the links later when I can listen to them on something other than my phone speakers.

Back