My first ever release, 'Jaguar' - will return all feedback in detail

kayjay748

I've been working on this for about 2.5 years and would love any feedback.

If you'd like an MP3 version, you can download it at kaytoo.bandcamp.com - it's set to 'pay what you like'.

I'll return any feedback, just drop your links. I'm not expecting everyone to listen to the whole thing, but you'd make my day if you did and it's not a long album.

Thanks in advance.

First of all, the artwork is very eye catching and professional looking so good job with that. Second, as someone who's been playing guitar and piano since elementary school (I teach them as my job and play in a band too) the instrumentation you've picked is absolutely beautiful. Are you playing any of them anywhere on these tracks? Mix is on point too, with all the panning have you checked phase cancellation? Love doing the vintage voice samples, they can really tell a story and add flavor to the song. Also like the creativity with reversing drums as fills and whatnot in the second song. Would love to send you some instrumental samples for you to go crazy with <<<<

Really good and funky beat. I feel as if the instruments sound a bit thin/cool (not warm) though. Overall very nice vibe, keep at it!

First of all, the artwork is very eye catching and professional looking so good job with that. Second, as someone who's been playing guitar and piano since elementary school (I teach them as my job and play in a band too) the instrumentation you've picked is absolutely beautiful. Are you playing any of them anywhere on these tracks? Mix is on point too, with all the panning have you checked phase cancellation? Love doing the vintage voice samples, they can really tell a story and add flavor to the song. Also like the creativity with reversing drums as fills and whatnot in the second song. Would love to send you some instrumental samples for you to go crazy with <<<<

Thank you so much, you have no idea how much I appreciate all of that. Most of it is made from samples (probably the beautiful bits you're talking about!) although I've added bits and pieces here and there. I really enjoy editing and layering up samples from totally different sources, I'm really inspired by DJ Shadow's early stuff. Mixing isn't my strong point to be honest, so I've really looked into phase cancellation, will be sure to do so though.

Please do send me some samples, always enjoy listening to new stuff! Thanks again for checking it out.

Hey bro, thanks for the feedback on my track earlier.

I listened to the first 2 tracks:
Track 1: Excellent melody. The mix is solid, no complaints. The drum, which i assume is a break, have nice swing on them. There's nothing I'd improve honestly, just needs the right rapper over it. 5/5

Track 2 (which started around 2:19): Again, this sample was sick. Feel like I could hear Westside Gunn rapping over this. Your mixing/gain staging technique is very good. I wasn't feel the drums as much, especially the snare, i feel something harder hitting would been better. 3/5

Last edited:
oh this my type of shit right hur....

excellent work, dude. really, truly oustanding. I loved everything on here. great vibes, great textures, and as someone who likes instrumentation I gotta say the choices here were expertly executed. this will be a mainstay on my playlist for sure, well done

give my track here a listen when you can, it's also quite instrumentally driven:

[F4F] To The Ends Of This World - #hypeaf #godliusone #lmaowtfisanoisegate

Last edited:
This is excellent,man..and well worth the time and effort you've invested in creating these tracks,great job on the sound of the production, too ..dope stuff,keep up the good work!

I'll also tag your account over on Soundcloud dude.. .:)

Beats:

Here We Are One Time (Album Mix) | Danswift

Danswift | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thank you, much appreciated!

I checked your album out and it's brilliant, I'm really impressed. The drum breaks and vocal samples gave me massive DJ Shadow vibes and I'm a huge fan of his. The guitar plucks at the start of Live at the Getaway Driver's Convention was my favourite part, very reminiscent of RJD2. I can't really give any constructive critique, there's nothing that stood out as being a problem. Excellent job!

oh this my type of shit right hur....

excellent work, dude. really, truly oustanding. I loved everything on here. great vibes, great textures, and as someone who likes instrumentation I gotta say the choices here were expertly executed. this will be a mainstay on my playlist for sure, well done

give my track here a listen when you can, it's also quite instrumentally driven:

[F4F] To The Ends Of This World - #hypeaf #godliusone #lmaowtfisanoisegate

Ah thanks, really glad you enjoyed it. If you want to grab a high quality version, head to kaytoomusic.com - you can download an HQ MP3 copy rather than having to stream it on YouTube in low quality.

This entire project is legit. From the cover art being quality and matching the feel of the project to the mixing to the sample selection. Man where do I begin.

That opening track was so jazzy and smooth. Track 2 was pure butter. Track 3 felt like soulful funk and was that gambino on the outro!? Around 7min? Fire!

i love the guitar riff on track 4 I think @12 min

and that flute arrangement on track 5 was dope. Mix sound crips on all the stuff I listened to good work. Congrats on seeing your vision come to fruition !

heres my thread for feedback thanks!

Thank you, much appreciated!

I checked your album out and it's brilliant, I'm really impressed. The drum breaks and vocal samples gave me massive DJ Shadow vibes and I'm a huge fan of his. The guitar plucks at the start of Live at the Getaway Driver's Convention was my favourite part, very reminiscent of RJD2. I can't really give any constructive critique, there's nothing that stood out as being a problem. Excellent job!

Thanks for the nice comment..really appreciate you taking the time to check it out,dude!..:)

I'll happily post a link to your album on another forum that I'm a member of Kayjay,..I reckon the folks there would dig what you're producing and will also hopefully support the release.

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice comment..really appreciate you taking the time to check it out,dude!..:)

I'll happily post a link to your album on another forum that I'm a member of Kayjay,..I reckon the folks there would dig what you're producing and will also hopefully support the release.

That would be amazing, thank you so much! Which forum, out of interest? It's also available on all the big streaming platforms now, would be great if you could mention that too. Cheers!

Yo this is nice. I'll have to listen to it in bits and pieces since I rarely get to just sit and listen to anything for more than a few minutes, but I'll be sure to give the full album it's proper attention. First impressions are great though. Congrats man. You managed to layer so many samples that it doesn't necessarily feel like a sampled album and that's no small accomplishment. Brings to mind Shadow, as you mentioned and Damu The Fudgemunk, as a guy who's currently still doing the highly detailed sample work. I don't know what more to say, other than I dig this the first 2 tracks and I'm looking forward to the rest. Cheers.

Here's my most recent track that I threw together last night. YouTube

Let me know what you think.

Damn this is straight fire, I really liked the first one reminds me of Pete Rock's work. The mix on the beats is good, you bringed the 90's era in 2019 props to that, did you used MPC or something any other sampler?

Let us know what you think:
[NEW] Joyner Lucas Type Beat - Sinner [Feedback 4 Feedback]

Thank you man, Pete Rock is a living legend so any comparison to him means a lot. I only used an MPK Mini and Reason 9 but tried to get that old school hardware feel so I'm glad that worked. Thanks again for the feed, checking your thread out now.

Back