Lets Play A Game: I Post It, You Roast It/If Its Nice, Drop A Like (F4F)

J.Hart

Okay you seen the title... lol
Basically my SoundCloud got old beats that I re-uploaded for you guys
I figure that I will be able to see the progression of my transition into full fledged "PROducer-ism"
But all jokes aside I am starting to take myself more serious and wish to go from producer to PROducer
and really need to hear you guys' honest opinion. I honestly hate all my old beats because
they sound too plain to me but eh... who knows... maybe I'm just too hard on myself...

But anyways, without further ado, let the games... BEGIN!

Jay.Dot.Hart | Jay Dot Hart | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
**PAUSED**

Also for all of you who decided to subscribe and follow me, let me know so that I may also return the favor!
Now back to the game!

**UNPAUSED**

BO$$ - 2/10
0:14 Way too much reverb really throws it off
Bass is really bad
Hats didn't fit the vibe
Open hats were really loud
Not mixed and EQed well

Ice - 1/10

It was really boring
Again, no bass
Hats were better but the snare is really weak
Melodies are odd

Rock$tar - 4/10
Same stuff as before, also panning needs to go full circle, in between each measure it switches from right to left very oddly.
Melody is ok

Pluto - 2/10
First Melody is way too low, and the second one is really weird.
Hats are better.
And same stuff

Haha, thedm is pretty harsh. Some decent ideas overall but the sound design and mixing were the biggest issues for me. You really gotta nail the bass and make it tight and low without overdoing the sub-bass, some of the tracks were way too boomy and I thought it was pretty distracting.

In pluto. Not the biggest fan of the mix. It takes time tbf. I been producing trash for a hot minute. Heck I'm sure even PROducers will produce some trash beats every once in a while, its an issue when you try to be creative, you're never going to produce a hit 100% of the time.

I think it's the melody, sounds fairly basic, the 808s could hit harder and you could add a kick.

Haha, thedm is pretty harsh. Some decent ideas overall but the sound design and mixing were the biggest issues for me. You really gotta nail the bass and make it tight and low without overdoing the sub-bass, some of the tracks were way too boomy and I thought it was pretty distracting.

LOL I know the mixing is trash as Im still trying to learn more about it. My sounds are not what I want them to be so I am also learning synthesis to have complete control over what I create and not be limited to default presets. But to be honest Im weird asf so my music will reflect that. I dare to be different and innovative but what would you suggest me to do to get those hard hitting drums w/o distracting the listener from other sounds?

In pluto. Not the biggest fan of the mix. It takes time tbf. I been producing trash for a hot minute. Heck I'm sure even PROducers will produce some trash beats every once in a while, its an issue when you try to be creative, you're never going to produce a hit 100% of the time.

I think it's the melody, sounds fairly basic, the 808s could hit harder and you could add a kick.

BIG FACTS! But I agree with you bro honestly I take like months to really finish a beat and I feel like that is a bad practice because I end up changing it constantly to the point where its a whole new song and people around me say that I throw away too much of my talent by doing so. And I just decided to give myself a time limit on the beat and just release it once the time is up to keep from trying to be "too perfect". I am very hard on myself about my music and want to grow but maybe Im tryin to do too much at once lol

Rock$tar - 4/10
Same stuff as before, also panning needs to go full circle, in between each measure it switches from right to left very oddly.
Melody is ok

Daaaamn bro u let me have it lol... I love it tho
Im still trying to find "that sound" that says "me" when you hear it like all producers have their niche but what would you suggest to make my melodies a bit less weird and more pleasing to your ears? I know I cant please errbody lol but I just would like to know a different perspective on things

Im really diggin' you guys' input I love the fact you even gave me a listen, yet alone critiqued it! I was (still am) a bit nervous about sharing my music with the world and I actually expected people to roast tf out these beats lol but as long as I can learn and laugh from mistakes, it makes it all ok

I only listened to "Pluto" and "Rock$tar" so I'm gonna give feedback for each.

Pluto - The main melody sounds are not bad tbh they are catchy and the best part of the beat what I think lets down the beat is the other sounds used and the drum selection/patterns you need to make sure your sounds are interesting and blend nicely with each other to create a vibe also drums are a BIG part of making a beat sound good especially in genres like Hip-Hop & Drum & Bass and other beat heavy genres and tbh I wasn't feeling your drums they sound bland and dry also the mixing needs work.

Rock$tar - I dig the sound selection on this beat the gritty sounds def give it a rockstar vibe but again for me the mixing and drums let the beat down the kick sounds decent but its being smothered by the rest of the low end of the beat you need to clean up your mixes so each sound can shine and be heard in the mix.

Check out my latest
[F4F] Travis Scott x Pouya x Xavier Wulf x 21 Savage Type Beat [F4F]

I only listened to "Pluto" and "Rock$tar" so I'm gonna give feedback for each.

Pluto - The main melody sounds are not bad tbh they are catchy and the best part of the beat what I think lets down the beat is the other sounds used and the drum selection/patterns you need to make sure your sounds are interesting and blend nicely with each other to create a vibe also drums are a BIG part of making a beat sound good especially in genres like Hip-Hop & Drum & Bass and other beat heavy genres and tbh I wasn't feeling your drums they sound bland and dry also the mixing needs work.

Rock$tar - I dig the sound selection on this beat the gritty sounds def give it a rockstar vibe but again for me the mixing and drums let the beat down the kick sounds decent but its being smothered by the rest of the low end of the beat you need to clean up your mixes so each sound can shine and be heard in the mix.

Check out my latest
[F4F] Travis Scott x Pouya x Xavier Wulf x 21 Savage Type Beat [F4F]

Much love brudda! I appreciate the feedback. I feel that this was probably the most helpful response bro! I definitely agree most of my beats lack good drumming and mixing. I just checked your music bro and honestly Im surprised that your not getting thousands of views because your shits tight! It sounds like you found your sound and moving within your path I just feel as if I am stuck on the multi lane highway still... But time will come when my music is bumpin' just need to raise my EXP lol

honestly they sound beginnerish its not that your melodies and progressions are amateurish quite the opposite.
Every producer always has a phase where they just have all these ideas and chord changes ooo what if i add some bells but lower than the other ones i have for harmonizing purposes. They key to production isnt wowing me with how many time you changed keys or tempos its how many times did you make me feel something anything at all
i think this is the best ive ever done and its got 4 elements besides drums. but the vibe is undeniable
Moonlit Comedown by TomkillsJerry | Tomkills Jerry | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Anyway this is my latest offering to the world of sonic architecture
Some "insert popular artist" Type Beats feed 4 food maybe feed too

honestly they sound beginnerish its not that your melodies and progressions are amateurish quite the opposite.
Every producer always has a phase where they just have all these ideas and chord changes ooo what if i add some bells but lower than the other ones i have for harmonizing purposes. They key to production isnt wowing me with how many time you changed keys or tempos its how many times did you make me feel something anything at all
i think this is the best ive ever done and its got 4 elements besides drums. but the vibe is undeniable
Moonlit Comedown by TomkillsJerry | Tomkills Jerry | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Anyway this is my latest offering to the world of sonic architecture
Some "insert popular artist" Type Beats feed 4 food maybe feed too

Damn I never thought of it that way lol I do have like a million ideas per second and want to get them out but I guess that I need to get a better workflow and just learn more about what Im doing because I constantly alter shit and I try to mimic what I was thinking but it comes out different. Im probably not making any sense but think of it like a translator: Im trying to speak something to someone who only knows their foreign language but the translation comes out as broken speech lol

But yo your Moonlit beat was fire. I was definitely digging the vibes. Everything was very clean and well put together. I cant wait to improve my craft to where I can have my music sound smooth and convey emotion. How long did it take you to get to the point where you were able to focus and create a mood within the composition?

yea i know what you mean. the hardest part is getting your DAW to do what you want I spent my first year figuring out how all that shit works. One thing that helped me was recording me humming or whistling the melody thats in my head. once you have the melody you have to figure out how that Melody sits and moves in the 180 degrees you're working with. stereo separation and panning take care of where it sits and your effect chain dictates how it resonates and interacts with everything else . Sound Selection and Arrangement are the Cheat codes. Before I even started making beats i played guitar and drums from an early age so i knew knowing when not to play is probably the most important thing.

and really since i first started all my stuff started with a vibe first. and im always working on at least 10 different ideas at a time. so if one song seems to have it a dead end i open another. you cant force a vibe and you defiantly cant be afraid to scrap a project. usually my rule is if i havent got the song pretty much structured with the main elements in 3 hours i put it on the Discard Hard Drive and move on.

But with all that said. 1.5 maybe 2 years is when you usually stop making 100% shit. then its probably 85% Shit. maybe thats just me because I dont watch or even own tv i dont game I make beats.

No probs and I appreciate the comment & yeah I've had quite a few people say that too me in due time my time will come when I reach thousands of views and grow a bigger fan base but in that time ill keep grinding and I say the same for you, the more you producer/mix the better you get also listen to peoples constructive feedback that helped me a lot.
Much love brudda! I appreciate the feedback. I feel that this was probably the most helpful response bro! I definitely agree most of my beats lack good drumming and mixing. I just checked your music bro and honestly Im surprised that your not getting thousands of views because your shits tight! It sounds like you found your sound and moving within your path I just feel as if I am stuck on the multi lane highway still... But time will come when my music is bumpin' just need to raise my EXP lol

Back