I really need some honesty- are my instrumental absolute shit?

JeromeBeats

I just got into producing after a two month hiatus (depression + technical issues with my hard drive crashing and losing most of my drum kits). Been making beats just over 4 years overall. After getting my key VSTs back and everything I've been going hard and completed six tracks. Been sending them out a little bit but no replies. I did have beatstars for a few months but I deleted it as it wasn't worth the investment (I couldn't sell to save my life). I have NO motivation to put more money into shit like branding, marketing, etc. if the product I'm trying to sell is hot garbage. Hell I don't even CARE about money that much is the crazy thing - I just wanna make music I genuinely enjoy with artists I genuinely vibe to. What's going on? Dropbox - Ballad - Fm - 153 Bpm.mp3 - Simplify your life
Dropbox - Cliff - Gm - 155 Bpm.mp3 - Simplify your life
Dropbox - Mosh - Bbm - 155 Bpm.mp3 - Simplify your life
Dropbox - Sensuality - Gm - 120 Bpm.mp3 - Simplify your life
Dropbox - Slots - Abm - 148 Bpm.mp3 - Simplify your life

Last edited:
I think your mix/production level is good, at least I don't have any idea what I could improve in the beat (I checked the 1st track - Ballad). Maybe the snare is too maximized and dry, but it's basically a little thing.

I'm actually quite similar case as you described - I have been watching tutorials for 4 years or more and put a lot of effort to finish my 1st set of beats this year and still it's not the level I would expect (i would like to regularly do some beats that would appear on some releases). Recently I got another 'new start' and now I'm focusing on being regular in doing some basically simple routine - like:

being in touch with producers' community
searching for new samples
watching tutorials
spending even a little (let's say half an hour) but regular time on improving my tracks
listening to new artists
improving my ears and listening skills

and tracking that (making notes of what I do) so it becomes my 'goal' and the things like views/interest in your beats/whatever you like will come by. Don't want to sound too cliche, but I think music production requires that and if you are consistent enough you will succeed some time. (Un)fortunately we just don't know when that would happen.

This is how I see that, if that would help/motivate you even a little that would be great.

I also think your beats sound good. :) Both in terms of production and mixing. I have never tried selling beats myself. I feel I still have a lot to improve. Personally I try to combine making a lot of beats with listening to my favourite producers and trying to figure out how they do things. I think beatmaking can sometimes be a grind if you want to get really good. However I think the most important thing is to enjoy the process as cliche as that may sound. I for sure perform better when its fun and I am inspired.

Inspiration comes and goes for me as I guess for a lot of other producers. I try not to overthink stuff and be ok with being a bit uninspired in periods.

Hope that answer provides some value. :) I am a beginner myself so I don't really know much about selling beats but thought I might share my view anyway.

I checked the first beat. Sounded good to me. I think like 99 percent of trap producers the only thing I notice as a potential issue(emphasis on potential) is similarity to so many other beat makers. It's probably damn near impossible to stand out, as it perhaps should be, if you work in such a familiar style. The mix, drums, melodic and harmonic elements are all clean though and this is just my 2 cents, which ain't worth shit anyway. lol.
As for the marketing, I've struggled too bro. The vast majority of us see only a little forward movement even if we're extremely dedicated and consistent. This is a good forum to leave tracks though and if you leave feedback for others, you'll get some in return which helps. The only time I started to see a bit of improvement, in views at least, was after several months of very consistent weekly posting and that still only got me to like 200 views which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. This is a grind in the extreme sense. Beatstars/Airbit etc. don't help at all because their search results are designed to only return the most popular producers, so the rest of us get no results anyway.

We would probably do well to remind ourselves however, that comparitively speaking, we have it easy. It used to cost so much to become any kind of hip-hop producer that only a handful could even try. Now it's so easy to start and the issue is an extreme surplus of beat makers with an extreme shortage of artists who are good enough to be worth working with. I'm pretty old and can remember when it was hard to find a producer, but everyone knew a few guys with actually decent bars in their area. Wish I had a more encouraging response, but it is what is is.

If you get a chance please check out my latest. Peace fam.

Back