Feedback on first boom bap beat?

MF Dove

What’s good everyone?

I’ve just finished a rough version of my first boom bap beat and just wanted some feedback? I made this chill beat with the main intention for artists to create their own melodies and freestyle over, this is why it’s made up of guitar chords, bass and drums.

Listening to it now theres a few things I’m unsure on, the first being the audio loop transitions, I don’t think they sound that smooth, the second being the drum sounds, I just grabbed a random kit online and went with it, the small drum fills at 10 and 40 seconds in, are they too choppy? And the last thing being the mix, I have no idea how to mix so I went off what I thought sounded best by ear.

This is just the first 17 bars, but I feel like I’ve listened to it so many times to the point where I’m finding all these different faults so any comments, pointers or pieces of advice in terms of sounds, musical ideas or the full mix they would be greatly appreciated!

Do you think an artist would actually be able to rap over it is the main thing though?

Thanks!

Rough Boom Bap Beat. by Dove | R Dove | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback bro.
1. Transitions are tricky. Not sure how you chopped it but you can mess with attack/decay to have smoother fades and less clicking.
2. Kits are cool to start on, and really good ones are hard to find. most boom bap producers sample old drums and layer them to get their sound.
3. Mixing is tough lol, so no quick fix there. Just gotta learn as much as you can and use your ears.

Aye thank you boss, I appreciate it. This was a pretty rough version, I think I'm going to re-record the guitars and maybe add a small little melody on top, see what happens then.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your words. I'm going to re-record a few parts, try to clean it up a bit and maybe give it to a few artists?

Back