[F4F] Sad Hip Hop Beat - Please suggest more realistic sound methods

westside2

I think my VSTs are sounding fake, please suggest me some more realistic sounds and mixing techniques for this beat.

Last edited:
yo this is a good start man for sure, trying eqing the piano and taking out the lows from 0-100/150 out as its clashing with your kick a lot of distortion. I like the idea of this for sure though man keep grinding

I agree with the EQ comment. The piano should take up the mid/upper end in the track more. The piano vst does sound a little too fakey sounding. I suggest adding interesting effects to make them sound a bit more dreamy. You could also just use a more interesting synth.

I'd say it sounds good! Really like the feel of it, but I gotta say it doesn't sound very sad. Were you using minor chords or major chords? Something in between?

It's really upbeat which isn't an issue, but I'd have to see how someone flows over it to see how it could sound sad. Sounds more triumphant than sad. Throw in a low bass sound for some more fullness.

Would appreciate feedback on this track Magma - Schoolboy Q and Jadakiss Type Beat

Last edited:
I'd say it sounds good! Really like the feel of it, but I gotta say it doesn't sound very sad. Were you using minor chords or major chords? Something in between?

It's really upbeat which isn't an issue, but I'd have to see how someone flows over it to see how it could sound sad. Sounds more triumphant than sad. Throw in a low bass sound for some more fullness.

Would appreciate feedback on this track Magma - Schoolboy Q and Jadakiss Type Beat by Rtzizle | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thanks man. Did you check out the second mixing try:

Please compare with my first one.

I will post my feedback on yours too.

Btw, yes you are right, it is not a sad beat really, it has some feelings on it and with some rebellious rhytms for me.

Last edited:

Would appreciate feedback on this track Magma - Schoolboy Q and Jadakiss Type Beat by Rtzizle | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Your melodies sound like a horror game. Good work to me but why didn't you use rhytms or drums for rap really. Sounds like just melodies, maybe someone can use it for a freestyle live performance.

I actually listened directly to the second one once I saw you did another mix! Didn't really look at the first but I can look at both.

In regards to my track's drums, I wanted to branch out my style. I know it wouldn't sound like conventional rap drums but I felt like doing something different.

Last edited:
I think the actual midi programming doesn't need much modification. However, you're right in that it doesn't sound very realistic and this is limited by the vsts. The only way around this would be to add more velocity dynamics and modulate the strings. I also suggest changing the drum sounds to something either more traditionally boom bap or contemporary trap based. You can find free drum kits on reddit. If you want, you can send me the midi you used, and then I can create an example of more realistic sounding instrumentation using the various libraries like spitfire on Kontakt.

Also, I would appreciate feedback on this track youtube.com/watch?v=cTeT3yrLkt4&t=4s (I just started using the forum so I can't post links yet)

Last edited:
Just with a quick listen there are a couple of things you probably could do. For one some of your levels appear to be peaking a little to much (in the red) For example your kick drum is peeking so much it is distorting which might be what you are going for, but I am listening to this with the volume fairly low on my monitors, if someone were blaring this in their car it would sound like a mushy mess.
Try eq'ing things a little differently the keys sit sonically in the same place as the synth so there is not a lot of distinction between the two, try pulling down the mid frequencies on one or the top and bottom one ect....
Some of it could be the quality of your midi or sound samples they sound a bit off the shelf.
Other things you could try are parallel compression or side chain or ducking compression to make different bits pop out more.
Overall bring your levels down.

I think the actual midi programming doesn't need much modification. However, you're right in that it doesn't sound very realistic and this is limited by the vsts. The only way around this would be to add more velocity dynamics and modulate the strings. I also suggest changing the drum sounds to something either more traditionally boom bap or contemporary trap based. You can find free drum kits on reddit. If you want, you can send me the midi you used, and then I can create an example of more realistic sounding instrumentation using the various libraries like spitfire on Kontakt.

Just with a quick listen there are a couple of things you probably could do. For one some of your levels appear to be peaking a little to much (in the red) For example your kick drum is peeking so much it is distorting which might be what you are going for, but I am listening to this with the volume fairly low on my monitors, if someone were blaring this in their car it would sound like a mushy mess.
Try eq'ing things a little differently the keys sit sonically in the same place as the synth so there is not a lot of distinction between the two, try pulling down the mid frequencies on one or the top and bottom one ect....
Some of it could be the quality of your midi or sound samples they sound a bit off the shelf.
Other things you could try are parallel compression or side chain or ducking compression to make different bits pop out more.
Overall bring your levels down.

Thanks guys. Did you listen to the second mix? Do you still think the same?

Last edited:

Also, I would appreciate feedback on this track youtube.com/watch?v=cTeT3yrLkt4&t=4s (I just started using the forum so I can't post links yet)

Your mix methods made your beat so clear man. But snare sound can hurt ears a bit lol, other than that pretty good. I will PM you.

Big improvement on the second mix, I think ( as another suggested ) that it was probably the piano as well as the kick that were peaking, but much better, not crazy about the drum tones esp the toms but I think that might just come down to personal preference on my part. Keep makin those beats.

Back