[F4F][Mastering/mixing tips especially needed!!!] A couple of Jazzy beats I wrote

MedliusOne

My last thread here was about a year ago lol....Thats my b tbh, but hey this covid stuff has left me with alot of free time and it took me awhile to get over the anxiety of having less work hours but Im starting to climb back up. Anyway...

These beats aren't as crazily developed as what I posted here previously a year ago, but they are (hopefully) every bit as catchy. I would especially like to hear whether or not I'm doing everything right mixing-wise. I intend to include these two in a small collection of resources for use by independent MCs....CC-BY 3.0 -style =)

let me know what you guys think, pls! make sure to link your threads as well so i can return the favor!

Young - Demo by Medley - Listen to music

Mettle Alloy - Demo by Medley - Listen to music

I like the melody in both of those. I'm going to focus my feedback on "Mettle Alloy" - I would turn the snare up a bit, and then throw EQ on the kick drums and bass to remove some of the unneeded frequency. This will help in not having a muddy low end. Sometimes it helps to have a reference track that's close to the sound you are going for. Switch between your project and the ref track and make adjustments

To me they both don't sound jazzy.
That doesn't mean I don't like them.
Tight tracks, surely!

I wonder what you play as musical instrument(s).

As for the sound, they sound better then mine ��.
On my cheap headphones, which I have to use, even for mixing and mastering, they sound clear en good.
The second one seems to have a crash cymbal too thin.

Keep it up and maybe collaborate with others, you have go good things going on

I like the melody in both of those. I'm going to focus my feedback on "Mettle Alloy" - I would turn the snare up a bit, and then throw EQ on the kick drums and bass to remove some of the unneeded frequency. This will help in not having a muddy low end. Sometimes it helps to have a reference track that's close to the sound you are going for. Switch between your project and the ref track and make adjustments

Hmm....yea, the kick does have an unnecessarily intrusive rumble, now that you mention it. I didnt really have a ref for this though, its all from my head lol. thx man, appreciate the insights.

To me they both don't sound jazzy.
That doesn't mean I don't like them.
Tight tracks, surely!

I wonder what you play as musical instrument(s).

As for the sound, they sound better then mine ��.
On my cheap headphones, which I have to use, even for mixing and mastering, they sound clear en good.
The second one seems to have a crash cymbal too thin.

Keep it up and maybe collaborate with others, you have go good things going on

I guess I was thinkin sort of with the choice of instruments they felt a bit like what my old man listened to, which was predominantly jazz lol.

For Mettle Alloy, I think what's used are East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra instruments, iirc. I have a buddy who I send the relevant melodies to for help with the symphonic stuff because holy crap that thing is expensive AF lol. The specific instruments for Mettle Alloy are french horns, trombones, trumpets, Ample Bass P Lite II, and the default tenor sax that came with FL Studio. For Young, I used Ample Bass P Lite II, EZDrummer, Ample Metal E II, and the default tenor sax that comes with FL Studio. Most of the time, my drum samples come from Lazzzy or Mafz as was the case with Alloy.

Lol that is the dream indeed, to have a few collabs under my belt though im a bit new to the networking side of music. thx man, i appreciate the feedback.

You mentioned a sax in fl studio. Which one are you talking about?
I found LSD has good sounds, but no (?) midi controllers.
I heard Chuck mangione many times as a kid, my parents are huge fans (me too!), so synth brass never ever sounded like brass to me. Just like I just can not like trap music. The drums always sounds like someone who can not tap an actual drum beat to me. And that tick they call hi-hat.
Don't get me wrong, check my pandemic and you will see I do love Edm (thunderdome/hardstyle), but somewhere down the road music dropped some shit, stinky shit.

Last edited:
You mentioned a sax in fl studio. Which one are you talking about?
I found LSD has good sounds, but no (?) midi controllers.
I heard Chuck mangione many times as a kid, my parents are huge fans (me too!), so synth brass never ever sounded like brass to me. Just like I just can not like trap music. The drums always sounds like someone who can not tap an actual drum beat to me. And that tick they call hi-hat.
Don't get me wrong, check my pandemic and you will see I do love Edm (thunderdome/hardstyle), but somewhere down the road music dropped some shit, stinky shit.

Ah, I'm not using Fruity LSD; It's the FLS Tenor Sax that's under Packs>Orchestral in the browser. I prefer to turn off the reverb and chorus effects though, as Direct Wave's versions of the effects weren't quite what I needed here. Volume swells, fades, vibrato, etc can be done in the piano roll since Direct Wave does have support for those controls.

Back