(F4F) Kush-D - Know Thyself (Full lyrical project/mix tape/UK Hip Hop/Boom Bap/)

This is a lyrical project I've been working on for long time. There is 13 tracks altogether, all self produced and mixed. Let me know what you think of any or all of the tracks (if you have the time :p). Almost every track has a different flavour. I'm particularly interested on feedback on mixing and mastering but any feedback at all will be appreciated and returned. Thank you for you're time :D peace.

The whole project can be found here :

YouTube

Last edited:
Thanks for checking my track recently and pointing out the mid range sound, I will check the overall balance next time more accurately. In case of sax it was just a free VST, but I agree that in this case the sound is really dope

While listening I made some notes on your track:

1) I liked the intro a lot and especially the piano sound - my question is where'd you got this one from?
2) The effect you put on vocal in 0:26 - I think I would use it much more often to increase the lazy/smooth/mellow mood of the track.
3) Nice lyrics, it is audible that they required more time and commitment to create something like that (I mean on this level)
4) Just my feeling of taste - I think it would even better for a track to have some background vocalises like singing 'aaaaa' or 'uuuuu' with some melody.
5) Cool chorus - I waited for some singing and actually it is dope as well as rhyming in your case, so respect for vocal skills.
6) Some other ideas on your beat - I think I would mute once or twice the whole drums for shorter moments, especially when more important parts of vocal are in to point them out.
7) Second idea is the reverb on snare (dope choice BTW) - I think here the reverb and its decay should be more audible, I thought about introducing some distortion to reverb could make it sound more distinct

Generally I enjoyed listening to this track, it has a really distinct vibe, so respect for your work. I will check the rest of your tracks as well and will update my comment to let you know which tracks caught my attention the most

First off, i genuinely appreciate the detail in which you give feedback on music. Its refreshing to see others as enthusiastic about music.

1)The piano sound came from a sample pack. Initially if i use sounds from packs i tend to tweek, chop and edit to create something new from it but when i heard this particular sound it inspired me on a lyrical level. I took the first 3rd of a sample cut it in half and put it on top of each other so the piano plays with the Vibes sound. some stretching and pitching was done, and some basic stereo separation. The sample is from a pack called "Soul Surplus : Port Rich Vol1".

2) As for the effect on vocals it is just a tight delay which is throughout the whole track acting as an adlib or backing, using automation i made some bits louder than others.

3) Appreciate the input on the lyrics. This is my 3rd lyrical mixtape/project and my projection and inflection haven't always been my strong point from a self critical standpoint.

4) I would have really liked some extra vocals throughout as a backing and was experimenting with this for a while but nothing stuck except.....
5) .... While experimenting with improv i did come up with chorus so i gained something from it. :P

6)This technique you mentioned about adding breaks in drums ( and sometimes other instruments) for lyrics to standout is a process i have always enjoyed doing as it helps with add variation in often repetitive beats. Didn't think to use it much here as i used it in other tracks within the whole project. Possibly an overthink of variation of techniques throughout the project. Maybe it would have been more effective in this particular track.

7) Thanks for recognizing the snare, it was something so simple that i became proud of in the process as it fit nicely. It is in fact 2 snares and a clap layered on top of each other. I'm always cautious with reverb and in this case maybe too much XD. Adding distortion to reverb is not something i have done with snares so duly noted thanks for the tip.

Thank you so much for the time you have applied to this. I'll be sure to stay locked into you're stuff and give my feedback. Forgive me for any late replies as life creates unspecified schedules. That being said if you do have time , i would value you're views on any other tracks in the project and anything else posted. Much Love.

Im loving these melodies. Lofi vibes are real with this one. Im loving these higher frequencies in those bells ( that breathing sound). Rap flow is pretty smooth, good job!

Just some nice smooth vibe stuff. Vocal and beat fit each other nicely. Only thing I'd personally change would be to roll off some highs. This has a serious 90s old sampler vibe and those samplers don't have nearly so many highs, speaking as an owner of a few of them.
Nice track though man, thanks for sharing.

That sounds nice. Mix is clean. I really like the warmth of the piano, leaves space for an MC and fills the rest nicely. One thing I'd think about is adding some effects to snippets of your voice to accent some rhymes, like pitche downs, flanging etc. Scratching adds something else to the track. Nice one!

Hmm take out some high end, i think that might give it a little more raw Hip Hop feel. Thanks for the tip

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback. Adding effects is always the more fun part personally, sometimes i get worried it might be too much so i hesitate on some of the effects i play with. I did have some pitch in mind but didn't follow through :4theloveofgod: shoulda taken the leap XD.

Back