Dirty South Trap w/ Scarface Sample [F4F]

Shawn_Gonzilla

Hip Hop Scholar
Sup FP, it's been awhile. First trap beat I've made in a minute. Personally I like the composition, but not the mix. Still new at this, so always looking for feedback/advice to get to that next level.

From what I'm hearing I can only point out 2 things from the mix. Firstly, you need to start out with good samples. It's like photoshop.. no matter how good you are at using it, you can't make a bad quality picture into gold. I have the beatplug's drum kit and I love it... there are a lot of other updated kits out there that have samples that you'd hear in today's music, also what VSTs are you using? Second thing I want to point out is EQ work. Make sure to solo your instruments (like the lead and pad by themselves) and see what frequencies they are using. Cut colliding frequencies from one to let the other breathe and vice versa. Also, try mixing in mono. That helps with proper leveling. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the feed btw

The comp is nice like you said. But the sounds are not, I'd get a nice drum kit with some 808s, kicks, snares, and hats. That'll really bring your stuff up. Also you mixing isn't to bad just a little tweaking with the drums and you should be there. I'd also say work on your layout and make the changes more dramatic to keep it feeling fresh. But this is actually pretty good work especially if you're new! Keep it up man!

Bells sound nice but I'm not a big fan of that pad synth melody you got going on. Also hats are a bit boring and too loud IMO. Mix definitely needs work too, keep grinding bro, I see potential!

The composition and arrangement is nice. You have it enough variation that it didn't get too repetitive or boring. The snare is nice and crisp but i think you run into problems witb your kick and 808. The kick is a tad weak and i feel like its clashing with your 808. That can be fixed with bettee mixing. Not bad at all considering you're new at this.

You just need good drum kit , and to lear how to mix a beat * otherwise as a new producer you ar3 good , you just need more time man :) just work dont givr up ??

Solid production in my opinion. Wouldn't spend time trying to fix this one when you can move on to another and make it better. Nice stuff bro

For a beat, i think its a bit over compressed and your 808's are clipping. also if you are exporting .mp3 straight from Fl studio, dont do it as it fucks up the higher friquencies, esp hats. Better first export it to wav and then later change it it mp3.

The beat itself is good but the sounds are not.

Check out my track.
Dirty South Trap w/ Scarface Sample [F4F]

The composition is bad as many have said, but the mix always starts with good sounds. Don't ever have the mindset that you can "fix" bad sounds. You dont ever want to go down that route and it just makes the process tougher and longer for you. Always take time into sound selection. Doesn't always have to be when you begin you track, but always go back to it when you feel you need. As someone pointed out before as well, mixing in mono helps give space to all the sounds and creates a good level of balance. Tried that atleast and expect your mixes to get better instantly. Keep working at it.

When you get a chance, check out my latest!

Daniel Caesar - Get You Remix (chillbounce) F4F *summertunes*

Back