New Ambient DnB Track *GIGANOVA*

Really cool man. I thought the bass drum could come up a little. I enjoyed the instrumental and synths the most, I didnt like the female vocals. I dont have monitors but I thought the instruments were too loud. Sounds almost like everything is fighting to be king of the mix. Maybe it is just that the vocals have such a wide presence in the mix.

Dont mean to sound negative, the track is great there were just a few things that served as an annoyance to me.

Dont listen to me though, you have a lot more skill and experience than me :)

digiface said:
Sounds almost like everything is fighting to be king of the mix. Maybe it is just that the vocals have such a wide presence in the mix.

I'm having a similar reaction - maybe it's just there's so much going on, i'm not sure what instrument is a texture and which is a lead.

It may simply be, however, that I don't know how to listen to DnB.

Please don't misinterpret - i think the mix is very competent, and I think the textures are very well placed.

For me, I'd like to hear a breakdown where the beat goes to a half-tempo for a moment....with the vocals and bass only....for dramatic effect.

That's my only tangible suggestion.

Still, good work. :)

-fg

Thanks for your excellent suggestions. Will put the bass more up front and clean up the instruments a bit.

Great idea with the big break, too!

I'm with film-guy.

I really like the textural balances, and in-your-face mixing style of the track.

For drum-and-bass... it almost had a rural flavor to it at some parts. The Guitar gave it some interesting tastes that I don't normally get from DnB. Otherwise, some of the comrpession is causing things to clip at times.

Where did you get those vocals.

Very hectic a track - even for drum and bass. Very hectic... I can't say it was my style... but I admire some of the mixing elements.

Thanks for your reply, Northern_Fist!

I travel a lot and bring all sort of "weird" CDs with me from different countries. Each time I make myself a challenge trying to create a song by using sampled stuff from randomn CDs. I like these kind of challenges because they often give unexpected resuts. Those particular vocal samples are from a CD I recently brought with me from Spain (flamenco). The guitar samples are from an Argentinian group (tango). No other samples were used, the rest is original stuff.

I always kinda like very fast tracks as long as there's still some sort of melody I can lock on. This track has 180bpm which I admmit is kinda fast.

The track doesn't clip, but I noticed that there's some weird stuff going on when the bass drum and bass share the same frequencies. I thought I had eq-ed that out, but will check that again.

This track doesn't exactly sound like DnB. The only problem I heard was with the snares they sounded out of place, everything else seemed alright. I had no problem with the female vocal or the guitar. The thing is that there is a pause before the bass in some places (that's when you really notice it) but even then the snares sound off throughout the entire track. Really the snare pattern reminds me of something I would hear in an experimental track not DnB.

Back