Fresh Blazing Song - Higher

illogic

http://soundcloud.com/illogiconthabeat/higher

This is a track from last summer i just found digging through my files. I had just moved back for the summer break and started learning cubase 5. My bro wanted me to help him record this track he wrote figured it would be good practice learning cubase and processing vocals which i rarely get to do! Used a rode nt1a in an un treated bedroom along with the shitty pres of a maudio solo. Lemme know what you guys think. Of course all feedback returned!

The rode seems to sound very brittle sounding and kinda harsh in the upper mids... This could be a combination of the horrible room acoustics tho! Tried to smooth it out as much as possible. Lemme know what you guys think about the mix, what i should do differently, etc...

Also, a Golden Age pre 73 and a sterling audio st66 or st77( havent decided yet) is on the shopping list.. What do you guys think/ some better options?

Last edited:
The vocals mix was done pretty nice bro. My ear isn't the greatest at picking apart mixes with recorded vocals, but I couldn't hardly tell the diff from an industry-standard track.
I feel like the highs could be filled in nicer, and made a little brighter.
I feel like you could really boost the instruments a tad bit in the chorus.
The drums stand out nicely throughout the track.
You could also get some stereo separation going on with the instruments as well to fill up the ears.
Otherwise, this is a track I'd listen to in my Ipod over half the commercial junk out there.
Keep it up man.

Not a bad mix on this.. Snare could use a little reverb.. congos could be panned a little harder to the right.. Like the melody a lot.. Lyrics are real chill and taylor like but could be a little louder or sidechained to the sample to clarify them.. The stereo seperation on the doubles is great and gives it a lot of room which is cool... Not a bad track , the change up is hot too.. Good job man

Return feedback here!
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359144

follow me @prodbynoxbeatz on twitter!

Vocals: You can hear that it wasn't recorded in a dry studio. They sound a bit low quality, which is a shame cause the flow of the rap is pretty good. The chorus vocal is too low (the singing part).
The snare/clap was a bit generic/boring. The e-piano had a classic but nice chordprogression, and nice chorus?/flanger? effect on it to give it that wau-wau. The e-guitar fits and supports the mood of the song. Maybe the hihats a bit to high (in volume?) I can't hear any bass voices?? Too low? Non existing? Like the bongo rhytm. Whats missing in this song is dynamics. I miss transitions, build ups, and greater differences between eg the chorus and verse.
Overall a nice easy listening song, but not a smash hit.

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359102

In addition to the criticism, I just wanna add a lil positivity to the thread. I'm feeling the track yo, and even the shortcomings make it sound balanced out to me... I think it'd be a real good mixtape track... crazy instrumentation and lyrics throughout.

Thx for all the feedback peeps. First off i appreciate the compliments and critic of the beat, but... unfortunately its not my own. It is actually an old kanye beat he did for do or die by the same name. My bro had his lines written and beat already when i came back from skoo. My only hand is some delivery coaching and handling the vocals/ mix.

Tbh this was in rough draft form when we did this he now has a hook and shit. Unfortunately being broke college kids makes it hard for us to get our hands on equipment.

@Swift_eklipz: Thx for the compliments on the vox mix. I am still really new to handling vocals was such a lesson doin that recording with my bro while learning cubase at same time haha.

Dry the room added such a harsh mid-high resonance that in combo with his voice made it extremely hard to do, one of the hardest i have ever worked with haha. On top of that i dont think his voice is complimented by the nt1a. He has such a piercing harsh voice already the brittleness of the rode didnt seem to help.

I patched in some verb on a send channel to try to cover up/ smooth out the room imperfections, but as we have seen cover can only accomplish so much. Also, verbing vox is new to me so any tips would be appreciated. I would like to use a shorter decay time but if I remember correctly only a longer warmer decay did any kind of justice to covering up the poor room/ add smoothness.

About the beat. As much as kanye is a genius, i found my self not liking the mix he had on that beat at all - wishing i had all the indivual channels to mix myself. I agree some sense of stereo and space would be good on that beat. Also, he did actually have the kick hittin a tad better/harder originally but i had to tone it down a bit in order to get the multiband processing i wanted overall. Which i regret cuz i love a pounding kick - just not learned enough to pull it off.

Finally, we both appreciate that you are feeling the song. I feel like his lyrics are surpassing my beat making skills/mixing skills to truly do him justice.

@NOXBEATS: As i said above, the beat is not mine but i agree with your ideas of wat should be done to the snare and congos im a huge fan of utilizing width. Also, thx for the idea to sidechain to the sample. Sounds like something i could use alot! I like the the panned/delay background vox. I think he could deliver them much better tho to tighten it up.

@L4M3O: Appreciate the FB. I agree that the vox arent as punchy in your face as they could/should be. I think its a combo of the using verb to cover up the poor recording circumstances , and also the looseness of the doubles. He has written for awhile but when we recorded this in the summer it was pretty much his first time(unless you count the pokemon raps from middle skoo with the$10 comp mic through my dj mixer haha) so he has alot to learn about spitting in the studio.

Besides that, what else do you think would help tighten the vox up and bring em out better in the mix without making them just sound in front of the mix?

Also, your mixtape is dope brah. Your vox are recorded/mixed well. Your flow is something i can dig! I really felt root of all evil and all i need! If you have done the mixing/recording yourself, i say dope job. And if thats the case im looking for any insight to mixing vocals as its new to me and i rarely get to do it! Also, if you wanna shoot me a DL link i would def throw this on my zune! Always down to support legit artists.

@WatchWhatHappens1204: Appreciate the good words brah. It means alot to my lil bro that you are feelin his lyrics. Wish i could say the same about the beat and myself : p haha

Overall thx everyone for the feedback! I wish i had the opportunity to listen to this is a good reference enviroment. Until then my only idea is how you guys relate the translation to me!

Last edited:
Back