Tropical House remix. I need help!

firewalk

I'm making a tropical house remix of a song, but the thing is I'm a bit tired of tropical. It's chill and relaxing and all but it's something that can get very booring very suddenly because all the tracks sound almost the same... They all have a minimalistic beat using basically the same instruments. So I thought I should try to make something new that stands out a bit. I decided to retain the tropical "vibe" by using caribian instruments, but focus more on making the beat a bit more heavy and with much more bass. The bass is almost playing a melody on it's own and the whole beat is a bit more complex than with most tropical house tracks. I wanted to create something you can actually dance to, yet still tropical :)

Please let me know what you think! It's not finished yet, I've set the track as Private so that I can get some feedback. there are some mistakes and stuff that needs sorting out. But there might be stuff I'm not aware of too so please let me know what you think! If you hear anything that should be different, mistakes or whatever. :)

Thanks!

Here's the track:

https://soundcloud.com/djfirewalk/closer-remix-beta43-unfinished/s-RO7Ei

Here's the original if you want to compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2o-N5eZqJg

Last edited:
It actually often has a lot to do with clarity (treble) but more importantly the tension you create in buildups leading up to a drop. Tropical house/deep house doesn't really get to a climax, which is why you might feel like it's getting boring at some points. So maybe you could try making your leads/kick stand out more and make it more Progressive House oriented.

I am going to comment on soundcloud for specific stuff, I think you got the right idea though -- you want to create something different and not necessarily copy what everyones already doing. That being said the baseline idea is sweet and it sounds great in the song actually.
I know the track isn't mastered yet but some main things:
It would be nice to hear a little more of the drums, maybe keep that in mind when you master the track. I want to hear more snappy fingers, and the short crisp clap!
The main melody sound needs to be EQ'd, too sharp! Its the main pluck in that sound, its either too loud or your cut off is just a tad bit too high. Try messing around with that.
Lastly, the vocals need to be played around with. They sound too bland. They fit into the track perfectly, but I am talking more about adding filters, maybe some more reverb? Perhaps even a little delay before the reverb.

Other than that, I think you're doing a great job.

Cheers!

Coleman1: Thanks for your reply :)
Yeah I know, there is no not much of a climax in tropical house, and that's what makes them all so simular sounding. But there was no tropical house until someone invented it. The nr1 rule of EDM is: Learn the rules, and then forget about them! :) I guess that's what i'm trying to do. I've always sticked to the rules. It's time to break some of them and just make something that sounds good but doesn't nessesarily fit into one exact genre. :)

ZiloZile: Thanks man, It's always helpful to have other producers ears to rely on. I'll try to implement your ideas. The vocals have alot of dynamics in them. I tried to add a paralell processed compressor to just compress slightly off the top, but it just made the vocals sound very flat and booring so I ended up not using it. There is quite alot of delay on the vocals. And an exiter. I tried adding more but it started to sound bad. So I have actually automated the delay so that in some parts there are more delay, and in other parts where the vocals are more "crowded" there is less delay to avoid the buildup that makes it sound bad.
But I can try to add some reverb on top of that and see what that does! Thanks! :)

So let's sum this up:

1. I should replace the clap with a more crispy higher pitched clap?
2. Add more punch to the kick and the snare ? Or did you mean those bongo drums in the background?
3. Add more reverb to the vocals
4. Cut some high frequencies from the main leed pluck

Does that sound about right? Anything else? :)

Last edited:
Back