[TROPICAL HOUSE] Henjo - Faded

Sounds great, lots of good things going on here. But here's my criticism.

1. Next time you export, I recommend slapping on a limiter. The dynamical difference between your track in general leaves a lot of headroom and I think you should go ahead and fill those headrooms adequately for this genre.
2. The kick is barely audible as you get to the chorus/drop.
3. The marimba lead by itself sounds cheap. Try layering sounds!
4. The chord progression that goes from verse > prechorus does not flow.

Sounds great, lots of good things going on here. But here's my criticism.

1. Next time you export, I recommend slapping on a limiter. The dynamical difference between your track in general leaves a lot of headroom and I think you should go ahead and fill those headrooms adequately for this genre.
2. The kick is barely audible as you get to the chorus/drop.
3. The marimba lead by itself sounds cheap. Try layering sounds!
4. The chord progression that goes from verse > prechorus does not flow.

Love the critique! Just a few questions.

- Should i have a limiter on when exporting the original flp file, when i'm mixing the tracks or when i'm mastering? Or all 3?
- The lead is not just one sound, it is five layers, but when looking at tropical masters like Kygo he uses like 11+ layers. My cpu is just killing me everytime i get around five layers.
- The prechorus chord-progression was pretty much just experimental. I've changed it up since, but i don't have soundcloud pro so i can't replace the file.

Hi there,
I like the general idea and the way you put things together. But there are a couple of improvements to make that are important I think. The most important is the fact that you almost don't hear the kick. and in dance music thats a must. As OriginalPromise already said, a way to get more sounds in front is by using a limiter but usual the limiter wont fix the kick problem because thats already in front. Also you could make a transition just before the drop so the drop stands out. good luck, i like the feeling of the track so the elements are there.

Love the track. The vocals are too quiet in my opinion and the marimba lead gets stale around the second verse. Maybe layering sounds will help you.:)

Sounds pretty awesome, but yes it might be a good idea to layer for variance and use a limiter with a fair bit of gain. Best regards! ��

Henjo,

To my ears, the main vocal line sounds a little bit too 'warm' where it's currently sitting in the mix. If you have any filtering effects on it perhaps try tweaking around so it stands out just a little more? I don't think it's a matter of more volume or altering its stereo position - I think you've done that well - but perhaps just try to brighten the vocal line a little. To me, it just sounds at times like the timbre of the guitar and voice are so close to each other, thus, when they occur at the same time the frequencies of both blend together and cause one to have a harder time focusing on the vocal text. I could be wrong but this is what I'm hearing.

I agree with Jerry about the kick. I definitely thing it needs more energy behind it, even though the track's vibe is calm. Especially at moments like minute 1:00, it's so deep in the mix that it fails to make a strong impact on the listener.

Hope any of this is useful!

Hisham

Back