Synthwave - Love Before the End

This started out going for a pure eighties sound but decided to follow my nose and incorporate some almost dub elements, as well as some electronically generated vocals. Also the first time I've strayed outside the presets with Ableton and started to add in other synths, greatly expanded my use of effects as well. Please do let me know what you think, any feedback on the mix in particular is welcome.

The sounds are really well in theme with the song, The mix is weak, there are some really distorted sounds due to high db levels (for example 1:58). Try lowering induvidual sounds to -3/-6 db. Also i can't hear the drums very well, there way to quite. Although this genre doesn't require a lot of low end punch, you should at least hear it at the same db level as your synths.

Good luck with your future productions, I'm sure with some more effort you can create some really awesome vibes.

Hi Phigure thanks for the detailed and constructive feedback as well for the tips on moderating individual channels; glad you thought the sounds worked, they are a bit un-typical but I thought they went well with the synthwave ambience. I had intended to go for a kind of bright "eighties" mix but found it a bit of a learning experience.

I've tinkered with the track a bit more, evened it out and ironed out all the distortion - hopefully fixing all the issues...

Hey slackoverflow,

This is different than what I'm typically into but overall loved the spacehouse feel of the track. Fun and unique. Not sure if you uploaded the version with all the issues ironed out but this mix sounded fine to me.

Thanks for the feedback harts, yes the embedded link in my last post is the new version. I do find myself doubting some of the artistic choices in this track, in particular the up and down figure which I feel is a little repetitive, but yes it is kind of unique in some aspects - though it must be said there is a huge amount of synthwave out there.

Back