Shy try

I like the chillness of this track, it could be a meditation or yoga soundtrack. My only recommendation would be to make the percussion louder in the mix.

I second what Sean said; fits well as a massage-studio-soundtrack. Relaxing.

I am not sure what you are going for here, but the hihat is very in your face compared to the rest of the instruments. spread it to the sides and bring the other instruments to the middle?

I am not sure what you are going for here, [...]. spread it to the sides and bring the other instruments to the middle?

Advice like that is exactly what I am going for. :) Thank you very much, Sean and raudelan, for your helpful replies. In fact, I get very different reactions on the percussion, and try to find a solution. Maybe the hihat is too fragile. Its just that I found out that sometimes people break conversations just to listen to this song.

There should be two songs of very, very different character in this post. I just found out that the second link is broken and points to the same song. Seems the editor faulted me, going to repost the second song as it is not linked here.

Thanks && have fun,
Peter.

PS. Maxxing the width on the hihats allowed me to give more room to the guitar, which resulted in a much more vivid mix. Wise advice!

Last edited:
i agree with Sean8877 it can be yoga soundtrack, but the hat i dont like, other things are on point
keep it up bro!

Last edited:
Thank you for your comment, djmaxs.

What would fit better than a hihat?

I am still puzzled about what value a yoga soundtrack can have to you.
I play it sometimes after coming home in the evening....

Regards,
Peter.

...or a snare with brushes. Yes!
I do not want to use audible f/x on this track, so that does rule out the claps.
But the shakers/brushed snare are a very good suggestion. That can make it even softer. Thank you!

Ps. Do not let me detain you from reviewing my other song (see below). They are very different :)

-- Ghosts

Last edited:
...or a snare with brushes. Yes!
I do not want to use audible f/x on this track, so that does rule out the claps.
But the shakers/brushed snare are a very good suggestion. That can make it even softer. Thank you!

Ps. Do not let me detain you from reviewing my other song (see below). They are very different :)

-- Ghosts

I had a chance to listen to "Ghosts" today and I thought it was cool, I like how it has a bunch of different sections which line up with the story you are telling in the comments. One suggestion I would have is that maybe repeat some of the melodies that you have in the track that only play for a short while. There are some interesting melodies in there but some of them only play very quickly so maybe repeat them or come back to them later in the song? But I enjoyed listening all the way through the track

Hi, Gave your tracks a listen:

Love Hymn - Acoustic instruments sound good. reminds me of Zelda for whatever reason :) I'd turn down the level on the hi-hats and work with the percussion sounds some more. Flows well, just tighten up the mix.

Ghosts - Feels like a soundtrack piece, something visually abstract and moving. Build up at the end gets wild. Maybe try bringing up the volume of the track over the entire 6+ minutes and then do a good jump at the end.

Sean and enkrypted,

your positive comments mean very much to me. I come to that later, first the tracks:

Love Hymn -- currently I port this from Caustic to Ableton, for more sound design capabilities. But there still I have to find a guitar which matches so perfectly as the one in caustic. Maybe I should find my perfect percussion and then import it to Caustic...

Ghosts -- since writing the last two minutes, there has been the idea of an extended version. There is also a spin-off off the "happy" section waiting for completion. Maybe run it over launchpad. Aaaand it is really supernice feedback if someone says "Hey, that was too short! I want to hear more of it!" :) I think I have to give me some time on that, gather experience and ideas, then refocus. @enkrypted, I will try to compress the drum to reduce volume but not thump.

For the posts: These are the first reviews I received on Ghosts (has its own thread but was overseen a bit). Love Hymn was posted as a defense against "What? You really want to write music?" It is a gem in itself. But Ghosts is the real thing. It contains much of the way how I want to make music.

And your perception of that was from my point of view really positive. As I started making music almost exactly three months ago, there was not much feedback possible up to now. (And I have tremendous lack of experience.) So these comments give me motivation, give me the feel that others can share my taste of music.

Thank you for that experience,
Peter.

-- Ghosts: From Tribe to EDM and back again -- please comment

Last edited:
Hello,

I suggest that in your mix you try and add some more ambience such as reverb etc. Also, the track Love Hymn I felt could become quite monotome! Maybe switch uo the melody and synths etc to create a dynamic tracks. Keep up the good work, really like the idea behind this!

If you have time you can listen to my recent track which is a remix of adele - Rolling in the deep, all feedback is appriciated! Best wishes, Jonatan

Hey Peter,

I was especially thinking about the hihats and percussions. They sound a bit dry and therefore very sharp in the mix! Very small anounts if for example reverb can reverse this effect!

I saw that you found my post and comment! Thanks for your input!

Best regards,
Jonatan

hello Jonatan,

thank you for your input. I tried your advice, and get the idea. That adds cymbal-like sustain, but does not take away the sharpness of the hihats. Maybe I experiment a bit more with that and filters. Could be nice with other leads, like a rhodes. (But the guitar loves the harmonics.) The percussion should still sound natural.
My idea is to go for a "Shsh" rather than a "Pst" or "Psssd". Maybe a "Zsh". Could be a ride cymbal or shakers or brushed snare, we will see.

Would you mind to comment my other track?
--> Ghosts: From Tribe to EDM and back again -- please comment

Thank you for competent advice,
Peter.

Back