New producer looking for feedback on first unfinished song

Xalser

For starters, I would like to state I am new to this.. So, be ready to hear a mashing mess of sounds. This is not finished so I am looking for feedback on the basic formation so far.

A little about me:

I am new to music production but have been writing songs for awhile and singing. I am more into pop but seem to like EDM for music production, as, that is all I know how to do so far. I hope to make something out of my skills. But, it is more secondary than anything. I go to university for Communications and Business.

https://soundcloud.com/user-836907094/possible-song1-sample-extended

1. I tried turning a base pattern into a mixture of multiple different types of patterns
2. I do know I need to work on my transitions and add some more sounds other than drums
3. My gut feels I can turn this into a great jam
4. I am unsure if I will add vocals

Thanks for reading, I hope I can get some input on suggestions or how I am doing so far for my first song attempt.

Last edited:
Did pretty good. Only suggestion for your track is the kick and the electro synth be notched down.
Pop is a part of edm isn't it? I could be wrong about that.

But yeah just two opinions electro synth and drums be lowered in volume alittle.

I had the suggestion to lower the drums. I will look into lowering the electro synth as well. I plan to add more sounds and change it up more before finishing it up and making it a full length song. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

And yes, it is a part of it.. just haven't figured how I will merge it to sound right quite yet.

Last edited:
Cool stuff! You have a lot of different beats going on here, which is cool, but it is easy to make it too chaotic. I would suggest making your arrangement more "defined". Here are a few things that can help:

-Use transitions to make it obvious your switching it up [ex. rising tone, drum fills, introducing new sounds, rising white noise]
-Determine what the biggest part of your song will be (the "drop", or "chorus") [sometimes I build the rest of the song off this]
-Have a defined intro, build, drop, whatever is between the drop, and outro

Another thing you want to have is a melody, something that is recognizable and is played in the "chorus" or "drop". This should be something unique, so it catches your attention. The bass was probably the most memorable thing for me listening to yours. Along with this, you should also stay in the key of the song. Going outside of the key will also be chaotic. Here are a few suggestions for melodic stuff.

-Spend time making a good chord progression. Everything will work off of this and create a "vibe" for the song. [I usually start of with a piano sound, or pad, and just record myself while playing. Eventually I get something that catches my attention. Pull it out of the recording, and make a loop]
-Off this chord progression you now have, create a melody with another synth sound. [again, sometimes I'll just use a piano sound and go up an octave so the notes are all higher].

Try to find a good balance between percussion and synth.

Hope this helps!

Keep at it :)
OAKUM--

Cool stuff! You have a lot of different beats going on here, which is cool, but it is easy to make it too chaotic. I would suggest making your arrangement more "defined". Here are a few things that can help:

-Use transitions to make it obvious your switching it up [ex. rising tone, drum fills, introducing new sounds, rising white noise]
-Determine what the biggest part of your song will be (the "drop", or "chorus") [sometimes I build the rest of the song off this]
-Have a defined intro, build, drop, whatever is between the drop, and outro

Another thing you want to have is a melody, something that is recognizable and is played in the "chorus" or "drop". This should be something unique, so it catches your attention. The bass was probably the most memorable thing for me listening to yours. Along with this, you should also stay in the key of the song. Going outside of the key will also be chaotic. Here are a few suggestions for melodic stuff.

-Spend time making a good chord progression. Everything will work off of this and create a "vibe" for the song. [I usually start of with a piano sound, or pad, and just record myself while playing. Eventually I get something that catches my attention. Pull it out of the recording, and make a loop]
-Off this chord progression you now have, create a melody with another synth sound. [again, sometimes I'll just use a piano sound and go up an octave so the notes are all higher].

Try to find a good balance between percussion and synth.

Hope this helps!

Keep at it :)
OAKUM--

Wow, this is great advice OAKUM! Thank you so much! I was looking for this exact advice. I felt a part of me was confused all day on where to go from where I am at now. These key points you provided have already began to help me understand how to make this and future projects into something great.

:cheers:

Try to give this track more depth. I think You should level more bass, lower drums a little bit. You need also to give some high frequency synths/pads. The idea is good but You need to do more in mix/master. Try adding some pad/synth and mix it good. That should help !

Good luck !

There's more of a melodic presence in that "Song1" track. I personally like the notes in that one better, 0:40-1:00 sounds weird though like there's the bassline from the first two but then the new melody on top of it makes both of them sound odd best way I can explain it. Then when the piano comes in it's back sounding correct again.

"possible song1 extended" has some nice congo percussion and [song1 test] has alittle more melody to it.

There's more of a melodic presence in that "Song1" track. I personally like the notes in that one better, 0:40-1:00 sounds weird though like there's the bassline from the first two but then the new melody on top of it makes both of them sound odd best way I can explain it. Then when the piano comes in it's back sounding correct again.

"possible song1 extended" has some nice congo percussion and [song1 test] has alittle more melody to it.

I might just stick with song1test and just remake the whole percussion to it. I keep trying to work with the percussion I started with and make it to something, but I can't get it to flow to my liking.

Maybe one day I will come back to that percussion and find use for it. :)

updated: https://soundcloud.com/user-836907094/song1-test-new

Last edited:
It gets easier over time.

Automation, synthesis, sampling, effects modules etc.
But getting the right groove or finishing somethings takes time, lots of trial and error goes into making a track, whether it be a bump or a full beat.

Your drums seem to be out of key. Write down the notes in your key and then learn how to tune them. That will help massively :D

There's a misharmony with the chord progression and melody... it just sounds "off" in parts unfortunately. I really like the atmosphere you are trying to set, and it's really close to being "pleasant", but not quite there. I think the groove is right, just need to fine tune the chord progression.

A certain production style can mean anything. But, you have stated you wanted to produce pop at some point.
The more specific things reduce overall confusion in the long run.

Song2 [demo] Was a surprise. Melody everywhere no percussion in sight. Sound selection pretty good and arrangement on point.

Experimental sample had some ethnic in it, immediately fond of the percussion.

Back