New girl here! Rate my EDM song? :)

SnowTigress

Hi everyone!

I go by the name Snow Tigress. I am somewhat new to the producing scene, it’s currently just a hobby :)

Feedback on my channel and music is appreciated! And subscribers would be awesome too

Newest song “Lift”

Thanks!

Good day Snow Tigress,

Use a spectrum analyser to balance your song, at the moment your low end is a bit weak. The tension created by the sweeps needs to be released (0:16), add a snare (maybe a short downs-weep) or something to exhaust the expectation created by the sweep. You should also evolve the lead over the entire song. Some of the sound are competing with each other, you can also correct this by using a spectrum analyser.

I hope this helps in some way.

Kind regards,

TS

Hello Snow.

I think your sounds and melody are fine. The mix may benefit from a bit of a bass boost and some EQing; my initial listen has only been on the internal iPhone speaker.

I *do* agree that your sweeps/rises/drops and your breakdowns and build-ups need to coincide more and be a bit better organized though. Listen to other productions in this genre to get a sense of some other options you might explore.

Good work overall though.

GJ

Last edited:
What DAW do you use for producing? What other gear?

FL Studio! For this particular song though, I actually used FL mobile lol. I wanted to try out and see what capabilities the app version has

Took me a few months but overall I’m good with the way this song turned out but feel I can improve. Feedback is appreciated!

Hello Snow.

I think your sounds and melody are fine. The mix may benefit from a bit of a bass boost and some EQing; my initial listen has only been on the internal iPhone speaker.

I *do* agree that your sweeps/rises/drops and your breakdowns and build-ups need to coincide more and be a bit better organized though. Listen to other productions in this genre to get a sense of some other options you might explore.

Good work overall though.

GJ

Hi GJ,

I agree with your advice and I feel the song sounds better on speakers than on the iPhone. But that’s definitely something I’ll look into.

Thanks so much for your feedback! It’s appreciated

Welcome SnowTigress!If I had only one advice to give, it would be : go learn the ropes of music production with FL Studio on youtube, there's plenty of related content. It seems you have a nice creativity when it comes to electronic music and unfortnuately, creativity is the last thing you'll need in the looooong journey of music production (even at a amatuer level). It could be a nice exercise for you to try to apply some "unavoidable" technique to this particular track (working on EQ's for an example).Anyway I wish you luck and wait for the next track of yours right here.Cheers!Here's my latest techno track : [Techno] Chris Van Gills - I'm Alive

Welcome SnowTigress!If I had only one advice to give, it would be : go learn the ropes of music production with FL Studio on youtube, there's plenty of related content. It seems you have a nice creativity when it comes to electronic music and unfortnuately, creativity is the last thing you'll need in the looooong journey of music production (even at a amatuer level). It could be a nice exercise for you to try to apply some "unavoidable" technique to this particular track (working on EQ's for an example).Anyway I wish you luck and wait for the next track of yours right here.Cheers!Here's my latest techno track : [Techno] Chris Van Gills - I'm Alive

Hi! Thanks for your feedback

EQ is definitely something I’d like to learn more about, hope to incorporate that more in my next track lol. I will check out your track too!

Hi everyone!

Feedback on my channel and music is appreciated! And subscribers would be awesome too

Newest song “Lift”

Thanks!

I go by the name Snow Tigress. I am somewhat new to the producing scene, it’s currently just a hobby :)

It's ok for a starters but, the EQ and balance is all over the place.
You have far to much going on in the same middle band and nothing at the bottom or top end.
You need to EQ things so that they have their own little bit of bandwidth and don't take it from other instruments.
When you do that you'll get phase cancellations and a muddy sound
What you need to do is create more separaton and dynamic range.
You do this by positioning each track both in its own space in the stereo spectrum, as well as in its own dynamic range or frequency window
Don't fall into the mistake of EQing something that sounds good in isolation but, doesn't fit in the mix.
The mix has to work as a whole

I concur with the other poster that said use a spectrum analyzer It will help you to get a flat response and should show you where you are over doing certain frequencies.

You aiming for a mix where you can hear every part without it swamping somthing else

Last edited:
Subscribe done
o.png

I have to agree with the comments about the low end but overall its a nice track. It has that big EDM music festival sound, just needs a bit more balancing.

It's ok for a starters but, the EQ and balance is all over the place.
You have far to much going on in the same middle band and nothing at the bottom or top end.
You need to EQ things so that they have their own little bit of bandwidth and don't take it from other instruments.
When you do that you'll get phase cancellations and a muddy sound
What you need to do is create more separaton and dynamic range.
You do this by positioning each track both in its own space in the stereo spectrum, as well as in its own dynamic range or frequency window
Don't fall into the mistake of EQing something that sounds good in isolation but, doesn't fit in the mix.
The mix has to work as a whole

I concur with the other poster that said use a spectrum analyzer It will help you to get a flat response and should show you where you are over doing certain frequencies.

You aiming for a mix where you can hear every part without it swamping somthing else

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback! I’m working on a new track now. Will keep your advice in mind! I appreciate it

It’s been a while since I logged in here lol but just wanted to say everyone’s feedback is awesome! I’ve gotten back into my hobby and producing has kind of turned into an obsession since this quarantine. Hope everyone is doing well.

I guess my main issue with my mixes is trying to figure out what to look out for. I have the melody in mind and I know how I want it to sound in my head. When I finally have it down in FL, it sounds how I want it on external speakers, but some areas sound choppy when just listening on an iPhone.

I’m comparing my mix to others who have produced on FL mobile and those sound clean. I’m planning on using the desktop version on future tracks though.

Does anyone know of any good sound design tutorials of before EQ and after EQ and what to look out for? I have looked at tutorials on YouTube and better understand how each instrument has its own frequency.

Thank you all! :)

Your song is really good keep on making them :)
Do you have good speakers or headphones to use? If you can't hear you will have a problem :P

1.EQ= removing part of the frequency.
2.You can also sidechain= one sound lowers the volume automaticly when for exemple the kick hits really hard.
3.put 20hz filter on masterchannel ( you don't hear them anyway+ they messing your mix up)
4 use fruity softclipper on kicks if you want them to hit hard to avoid clipping.
5.if you stack leads or any sound don't use to many with the same frequency.

Im also new to making music and learning alot of stuff and most of this i learned really recent so i might be wrong on something.

Hey! The song is really lacking low end and I feel like a bass line and drums would help bring it to life a lot. You could use some reference tracks, I was getting a hardstyle vibe so maybe check out Wasted Penguinz for some reference? Keep it up!

Back