My very first track "Down Together" - Looking for Tips & critique

Juneau

Hello there.

I recently joined this forum and for now, this is my very first track "Down Together" for which I am looking for tips, advises, critique and so on.

In this track a piano sound plays along at specific points which is the placeholder for upcoming vocals.

Hey Juneau,

welcome to FP Forum (i am also quite new here);-)

I like your melody and the progression, and I can also picture the vocals you intend.
You also have a structure laid out, intro, bridge, chorus, breaks etc. - which is a very good thing for the first track.

From my side some considerations:
1. Maybe you wanna try out replacing your melody with different synthesizers to make the sounds more interesting, you can use stock synths or any sound you´s like, the more you experiment, the better. Also play around with delay and reverb, it´s (still) very static. You wont believe what a little delay will do with your piano chords.
2. Take your experiment a step further, try to layer the same melody with different synths, start with 3 layers, one with high frequency, one with high-mid FQ, one with mid FQ
3. Leave certain notes out in different layers, or transpose them an octave up or down, just play with the notes and the chords. Small changes can have big impact.
4. Like the melody, the drums need some help in terms of surprising moments / more drive, especially in the high FQ-range, meaning, shakers / hihats etc.

All my personal view of course - good work, keep it up!

Cheers

I agree with the advice above. Would like to hear the final track with vocals when it's complete as it's a decent effort for your first song. I would also like hear a clear baseline as its lacking in the low end.

Thank you very much for the helpful tips and advises! I will keep this in mind to practise.

I like the arrangement and can see where it's going. I agree with the advice about finding different sounds to fit what you already have laid out. It sounds good and i can only imagine will sound more complete and better. Good work and keep it up!

You've got the compositions and arrangement there mate, but like what RePhilll said you need to use other synths rather than the native ones that come with the DAW. It sounds like youre using FL Studio and they dont have the best boxed synths and instruments. In time buddy, youll do well

Back