My first work ( I need objective opinions)

Stenz

Long story short. I started to produce 2 - 3 weeks ago and im trying to learn as much as I can. Down here I will post my 3 hours work. I would like if you could give me some tips what I did wrong in this track and recommend me some other things to fix that. I didnt bother too much about creating automation clips even tho I know I could it would sound somehow better. I know loads of ppl will say its bad and I dont mind im still learning so it dosent matter to me. Just share your opinions. Thank you all

EDIT: I forgot to mention I dont have sound monitors so yeah frenq could be bad. Hopefully im buying them in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Yeah the mix could be better, the kick is very hidden behind the mix. I feel like i always say this to everyone, but side chain could reaaaally make this sounds awesome! Especially at 1:40, if you don't know how to side chain youtube has some great tutorials. Diggin it though, sounds very uplifting

Yeah the mix could be better, the kick is very hidden behind the mix. I feel like i always say this to everyone, but side chain could reaaaally make this sounds awesome! Especially at 1:40, if you don't know how to side chain youtube has some great tutorials. Diggin it though, sounds very uplifting

Thanks for comment. I added sidechain like u said and it sound better on drop. All feedback welcome.

The production is cool, the melodies are dope and the overall arrangement is nice. I can imagine the drop being so much doper with the sidechain compression as mentioned above. Once you get your monitors practice on mixing and using the main tools such as Eq & Compression to tighten up the mix.

Keep it up!

Ok, For a first piece, it is awesome! The main fault, however, is that the drums are hidden behind everything else. A petty fault I have, which is probably just me, It takes to long to escalate. Other than that, it is pretty much perfect

Hey Stenz,

Sounds amazing for a first track. You could really add more top end to the kick and use EQ and compression to make a lot of the elements much more punchy. Simple EQ tip - cut out all frequencies that you don't need from a sound and to make one sound stand out make space for it by cutting out unnecessary frequencies from other sounds. For example cut 50 - 70 hz on the bass to make room for the kick. Mixing is all about making room.

I wouldn't really worry about how you sound at this stage because you have been producing only for 2 - 3 weeks. Music is a slow and long journey and you are going to take a really long time to get a hang of a couple things and hear minor but important elements in music. Even I am not that far down in my journey. I just think that you should keep producing and keep uploading tracks.

I also think that music theory is the most important important thing. It doesn't matter if you are the best mixing engineer in the world if your lead and bass in two dissonant keys. If you are new to music theory a really good book you should get is music theory for computer musicians. It has two other parts as well on harmony and composition. Do look into it.

Mixing will take you some time to get right because its all about hearing small elements and making minor changes. Check out tutorials by wickiemedia on youtube. He really explains basic mixing plugins well. Also check out the book zen and the art of mixing - really helpful.

I wish you best of luck in your music making journey. Keep at it :)

You've got some really really nice sounds in there mate. Maybe sidechain the kick and bass together as its a bit muddy.

You've got some really really nice sounds in there mate. Maybe sidechain the kick and bass together as its a bit muddy.

Thanks for comment m8. Your 2 tracks sound good, first one should get on some label. Good luck

Last edited:
Nice sounds, I like the stereo separation but it could do with some more variation - get some more synths in there, some details, like soundfx or fills. This could really be something, but it needs to be fleshed out.

Nice sounds, I like the stereo separation but it could do with some more variation - get some more synths in there, some details, like soundfx or fills. This could really be something, but it needs to be fleshed out.

Thanks for your comment. Im working on few other tracks at moment. Cant wait to buy those Yamaha monitors !

Hi Stenz

Well done on posting your first track ... I posted my first one a few weeks ago and I found that there are many people on this site who have lots of know-how and can give you some very helpful advice.

I'm no mix expert by any stretch but I agree that the drums lack "oomph" and have to come forward in the mix ... I'm listening through crappy computer speakers so I'm taking that into account ... everything else sounds pretty good but it needs something to drive it a bit harder.

I know you've also just started but I'd have liked to hear a bit of variation in the melody ... not sure if you've played it or it's a loop/sample but once the melody starts, that's pretty much it .... go crazy and maybe solo over the last part ... not sure - just introduce another theme.

On the whole I like it and the sounds you've used create a nice atmosphere at the beginning of the piece.

Keep at it and don't take too long before posting your next track :-)

Hi Stenz

Well done on posting your first track ... I posted my first one a few weeks ago and I found that there are many people on this site who have lots of know-how and can give you some very helpful advice.

I'm no mix expert by any stretch but I agree that the drums lack "oomph" and have to come forward in the mix ... I'm listening through crappy computer speakers so I'm taking that into account ... everything else sounds pretty good but it needs something to drive it a bit harder.

I know you've also just started but I'd have liked to hear a bit of variation in the melody ... not sure if you've played it or it's a loop/sample but once the melody starts, that's pretty much it .... go crazy and maybe solo over the last part ... not sure - just introduce another theme.

On the whole I like it and the sounds you've used create a nice atmosphere at the beginning of the piece.

Keep at it and don't take too long before posting your next track :-)

Thanks for comment. Good luck with your work :)

Back