Made my first song and would love to get som tips on how to improve from here

Stylezzz

Finished my first track heaven and would love to have som ideas about what i should focus on improving

https://soundcloud.com/stylezzzzz/in-heavven

Last edited:
ooops my bad fixed the link now so it should work would be really nice of you if you could give me some tips :p

Hmm, you know for a first song, it isn't half bad. Definitely there are parts that can be improved on but first, there were also some parts to the song that I thought were good. I can tell you're experimenting around with different sounds, samples and even structure of the melody and rhythm to see what works with what. It's good sometimes for getting feedback/tips from other producers but it's very important that your songs flow from start to finish.

Anyways, starting from the 0:35 mark, this is a nice build-up and I think this should be the main focus and theme of your track - I feel this section is more memorable, catchier. I think you should rewrite the intro since I don't feel it fits in with the theme of the song. I can hear some decent drum sampling on some parts of the song but then there are other parts that go completely out of left field and changes the mood and feel of the song, this is especially the case during the drop/chorus. The drum kick is inaudible and is being drowned out from the main lead. This is where layering your drum kick with another helps! EQ it right where one has mid to higher frequencies for that punchiness and the other where one has the lower frequencies to really bring out a bass-y, powerful kick (just make sure it's not peaking on your mixer and master volume). Also, don't forget to side-chain your MIDI instruments with the drum kick so that way it stands out more!
I think you should try to rework this song again since it sounds like it's incomplete more than anything. Feel free to lookup YouTube videos regarding electronic music compositions. A good place to start would be to check out Julian Gray Media since he has so many good quality videos on sound production, music writing, proper EQing, etc. :)

Good luck and most of all, have fun! :D

Love the buildup here! Still new to producing myself, but agree that this song has potential if you find a way to create more consistency throughout.

I recommend you to learn a tiny bit piano or music theory - it opens up an entire world of possibilities. It's clear though that you have a melodic ambition and feeling of the genre, so I must congratulate you on your first track! (Mine sounded a thousand times worse)

I learned most of my production skills from imitating others. Playing instruments and knowing music theory is just a bonus in these genres and you'll pick up a few of the essentials on the way. Listen to a lot of music, compare it to your own goals and sound and try to imitate things that you like - that's the best training.

Not my style but i feel like you miss some bass in your track, no offence (it's not easy to produce and master a track perfect).
So keep on making music, practice a lot because it will be worth it!

D. Bass System

I recommend you to learn a tiny bit piano or music theory - it opens up an entire world of possibilities. It's clear though that you have a melodic ambition and feeling of the genre, so I must congratulate you on your first track! (Mine sounded a thousand times worse)

I learned most of my production skills from imitating others. Playing instruments and knowing music theory is just a bonus in these genres and you'll pick up a few of the essentials on the way. Listen to a lot of music, compare it to your own goals and sound and try to imitate things that you like - that's the best training.

+1 for piano and music theory.

Chords and scales are the words of the language of music. If you do not understand the fundamentals at least you are basically a poet writing in a foreign language or a blind painter. Arm yourself with the tools and knowledge. (and maybe you have, but we can all benefit from better music theory knowledge)

Also- write write write write write... how many tracks are you going to write this year? I will bet you green money that your 30th track will sound better than your first. and your 80th will probably sound better than your 30th. Practice make perfect, the more you put in the more you get out (insert various cliches here, you get the point).

Listening and imitating is a good thing too. Take a sound, or a musical technique, figure it out and MAKE IT YOUR OWN.

As far as your mix- you have good instincts. Put the sound effects lower down, same with the pad/keyboard chords.

A VERY common mistake new producers make is to try to mix everything " in the front". Let your mixes have depth. Your bass and drums are your foundation, your melodies should cut thru the chords, which sit on the foundation.

If I had it to do all over again I would probably tell myself to collaborate with other producers more in the early stages. I taught myself and I think I did a good job of it, but when I got to the level of working as a studio engineer I found out tricks from other producers that would have saved me sooo much time and frustration.

Good luck! Keep at it.

Last edited:
I agree with everything thats been stated. Structurally for a first song youve done very well putting the right sections where they go. Def work on melody, some music theory, chord progressions, stuff that make is sound more like a "song" if that makes sense. Continuity through the whole song is important also! overall a good job! keep practicing!!

Thank you for the kind words will defiently try play some piano it seems pretty fun:)

Not my style but i feel like you miss some bass in your track, no offence (it's not easy to produce and master a track perfect).
So keep on making music, practice a lot because it will be worth it!

D. Bass System
Yeah i felt like there were some part missing have been starting to add more bas to my songs and it helps a lot thanck you for the tip:p

+1 for piano and music theory.

Chords and scales are the words of the language of music. If you do not understand the fundamentals at least you are basically a poet writing in a foreign language or a blind painter. Arm yourself with the tools and knowledge. (and maybe you have, but we can all benefit from better music theory knowledge)

Also- write write write write write... how many tracks are you going to write this year? I will bet you green money that your 30th track will sound better than your first. and your 80th will probably sound better than your 30th. Practice make perfect, the more you put in the more you get out (insert various cliches here, you get the point).

Listening and imitating is a good thing too. Take a sound, or a musical technique, figure it out and MAKE IT YOUR OWN.

As far as your mix- you have good instincts. Put the sound effects lower down, same with the pad/keyboard chords.

A VERY common mistake new producers make is to try to mix everything " in the front". Let your mixes have depth. Your bass and drums are your foundation, your melodies should cut thru the chords, which sit on the foundation.

If I had it to do all over again I would probably tell myself to collaborate with other producers more in the early stages. I taught myself and I think I did a good job of it, but when I got to the level of working as a studio engineer I found out tricks from other producers that would have saved me sooo much time and frustration.

Good luck! Keep at it.

Thanks for the tips will try that thing with imitating sounds and making it my own sounds like a lot of fun:berzerk:

I agree with everything thats been stated. Structurally for a first song youve done very well putting the right sections where they go. Def work on melody, some music theory, chord progressions, stuff that make is sound more like a "song" if that makes sense. Continuity through the whole song is important also! overall a good job! keep practicing!!
Thanks, will def keep practicing on my melodies:p

Back