Looking for Feedback on a Remix

Howdy!

The track sounds nice, and most of what you need is there, you have a good melody and the arrangement on first listen sounds good, and although I am unfamiliar with the original track, I just have got a couple pointers on production, the first thing that hit me was that the reverb on the guitar is quite strong, with a nice clean vocal like you're using it can become a tad unusual sounding, like they've been recorded in different spaces, a good way to think about using your reverbs is to always think of them as being relative to the same room (unless you're using things like reversed reverb tails and for SFX stuff), the kick is also missing some transients which you can probably bring out with some good compression, I, personally like using a tiny bit of saturation on the end aswell; the subtle harmonic distortion it provides can really fatten up the low end, on basses and kicks (I'll link a track of mine for reference). I also just suggest quantising the guitars in the drop, its sidechained nicely but there are bits where the note is plucked right before the kick, so it doesnt fully go through the sidechain. I like the sound design on your leads, you have a solid progressive house sound, although they do feel a tab wobbly at bits, could be my ears, but if that isnt the case, I'd always recommend removing the reverb on the instruments and adding them in using a bus instead, could also be that there is some low-end somewhere that is triggering the compression on one channel, or the group, if you've grouped them. Also, a bit of OTT is great on leads and basses, if you're using ableton, I do, or if you have the Xfer plugin, if not i imagine most multiband compressors will work fine (fuck me that compressor is a powerhouse).

Overall you have a solid track and just with some minor tweaks here or there it can without a doubt go from a great track, into a banging one, I hope some of my technical feedback was useful, I look forward to hearing more!!

Oh, also that reference track I spoke of, its a different genre, and a work in progress, but I think the kick might be a good example of what I'm talking about! --> dyro remix ive been playing with by makina | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Howdy!

The track sounds nice, and most of what you need is there, you have a good melody and the arrangement on first listen sounds good, and although I am unfamiliar with the original track, I just have got a couple pointers on production, the first thing that hit me was that the reverb on the guitar is quite strong, with a nice clean vocal like you're using it can become a tad unusual sounding, like they've been recorded in different spaces, a good way to think about using your reverbs is to always think of them as being relative to the same room (unless you're using things like reversed reverb tails and for SFX stuff), the kick is also missing some transients which you can probably bring out with some good compression, I, personally like using a tiny bit of saturation on the end aswell; the subtle harmonic distortion it provides can really fatten up the low end, on basses and kicks (I'll link a track of mine for reference). I also just suggest quantising the guitars in the drop, its sidechained nicely but there are bits where the note is plucked right before the kick, so it doesnt fully go through the sidechain. I like the sound design on your leads, you have a solid progressive house sound, although they do feel a tab wobbly at bits, could be my ears, but if that isnt the case, I'd always recommend removing the reverb on the instruments and adding them in using a bus instead, could also be that there is some low-end somewhere that is triggering the compression on one channel, or the group, if you've grouped them. Also, a bit of OTT is great on leads and basses, if you're using ableton, I do, or if you have the Xfer plugin, if not i imagine most multiband compressors will work fine (fuck me that compressor is a powerhouse).

Overall you have a solid track and just with some minor tweaks here or there it can without a doubt go from a great track, into a banging one, I hope some of my technical feedback was useful, I look forward to hearing more!!

Oh, also that reference track I spoke of, its a different genre, and a work in progress, but I think the kick might be a good example of what I'm talking about! --> dyro remix ive been playing with by makina | Free Listening on SoundCloud

First off, thank you! Second, that is some pretty detailed feedback! Lol I really appreciate that!
I tried taking as much of what you posted into account, and went back and make a few changes with the song. I lowered the reverb a little on the guitar, and added a slight sidechain to it during the drops. And while I know how compression works, I'm not entirely confident in my skills to compress things. Still, I tried it on the vocals, the kick and some other things. Definitely stood out most on the vocals I'd say. Also added OTT on the lead synths, and holy crap that made a difference! Took away most of the muddiness that was annoying me so much. Once again, OTT to the rescue! Huge thanks for pointing that out btw. And like I said, I'm not very good at compression, but I still also tried it on the main kick. It made a little difference, considering my compression "skills", and while I'm not entirely sure, it sounds like it might have added some more impact to it.
Anyways, heres the new version in case you're interested to hear it. :)

Oh and heres the original for anyone wondering what the difference is.
YouTube

First off, thank you! Second, that is some pretty detailed feedback! Lol I really appreciate that!
I tried taking as much of what you posted into account, and went back and make a few changes with the song. I lowered the reverb a little on the guitar, and added a slight sidechain to it during the drops. And while I know how compression works, I'm not entirely confident in my skills to compress things. Still, I tried it on the vocals, the kick and some other things. Definitely stood out most on the vocals I'd say. Also added OTT on the lead synths, and holy crap that made a difference! Took away most of the muddiness that was annoying me so much. Once again, OTT to the rescue! Huge thanks for pointing that out btw. And like I said, I'm not very good at compression, but I still also tried it on the main kick. It made a little difference, considering my compression "skills", and while I'm not entirely sure, it sounds like it might have added some more impact to it.
Anyways, heres the new version in case you're interested to hear it. :)

Oh and heres the original for anyone wondering what the difference is.
YouTube

Hey man I'm glad you appreciate the feedback, I listened a bit ago when it popped up on my soundcloud and I could hear the difference, it sounds much better, I get what you mean about not always being confident with compression, I honestly feel the same, I know when to use it during a mix of a recording session and what not, but I'm hesitant to say I'm confident when to use it creatively, but I know where I like it to apply, which helps a lot, I guess it's all taste at the end of the day. First thing that hit me though was that lead!! OTT really made that pop! Absolutely insane compressor, i swear. And the rest of the track too sounds great, I can hear the kick a lot better and its got some nice transients, and the vocals, and guitar all sound really good together now too. A top track, and great remix!! well done ! :)

Back