Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JUST FINISHED MY EP "ODES"! :D (Would love feedback.)

Thanks

JUST FINISHED MY EP "ODES"! :D (Would love feedback.)

Sign in to disable this ad

Thanks
    Definitely digging the "Dwellings" track, very good groove and arrangement!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow11 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow11 View Post
    Definitely digging the "Dwellings" track, very good groove and arrangement!
    Thank you SO much!

Thanks
    Hey dude, I've listened to all your tracks and have some feedback for all of them

Dwellings: I love the percussion and drum work, I only wish it was louder and more in the foreground, especially with the kick, imo you have way too much sidechain compression on the synth.
    Also, while your chord progression isn't bad, there is one chord that stands out as strange and doesn't quite fit. Its the chord at 0:38, I'm not sure if its in the right key or not, but its noticeable.

Odes: A much stronger track, I like the continuous shift of filters. The bass sits nicely and the guitar has just the right amount of reverb, and that arp sounds pretty good too. Does the snare have some distortion on it?

Reachings: A good use of one shot samples in this track. Again, slightly more sidechain compression then needed imo, but there is enough in the track to keep it interesting.

Hesitations: Again, the first thing I notice is the sidechaining, too much again imo. While its good to have the kick dominant, it sounds like it just clean cuts everything out.

All in all, it's not bad by any means, its an interesting bag of ideas for sure, and there is a lot of promise. Just some small things here and there that need perfecting. How long have you been making music for? Also I love your track artwork, its awesome!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Introvert_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Introvert_ View Post
    Hey dude, I've listened to all your tracks and have some feedback for all of them

Dwellings: I love the percussion and drum work, I only wish it was louder and more in the foreground, especially with the kick, imo you have way too much sidechain compression on the synth.
    Also, while your chord progression isn't bad, there is one chord that stands out as strange and doesn't quite fit. Its the chord at 0:38, I'm not sure if its in the right key or not, but its noticeable.

Odes: A much stronger track, I like the continuous shift of filters. The bass sits nicely and the guitar has just the right amount of reverb, and that arp sounds pretty good too. Does the snare have some distortion on it?

Reachings: A good use of one shot samples in this track. Again, slightly more sidechain compression then needed imo, but there is enough in the track to keep it interesting.

Hesitations: Again, the first thing I notice is the sidechaining, too much again imo. While its good to have the kick dominant, it sounds like it just clean cuts everything out.

All in all, it's not bad by any means, its an interesting bag of ideas for sure, and there is a lot of promise. Just some small things here and there that need perfecting. How long have you been making music for? Also I love your track artwork, its awesome!
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!! You haven't a clue how much it means to me that someone would listen to EVERY single track I've made here... I've been producing for roughly a year-and-a-half. The track... "Odes" is actually "Transcriptions". xD The EP name is "Odes." :P I find the need to mention this because it would seem that you and I are both in the minority of people who prefer it to "Dwellings". xD Once again... just... THANK YOU SO MUCH! :P (No distortion on that Snare by the way. xD )
    Last edited by Merton; 07-31-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks

Also... Glad ya like the album art. xD I spent like five hours on a few of 'em. :P

Thanks
    hey no problem dude, glad I could be of help :P It's impressive work for just a year and a half, and I hope my insight was useful
    btw if that snare has no distortion then it sounds like maybe something peaking? I'm not sure, its just a bit muddy when the snare hits.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Introvert_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey no problem dude, glad I could be of help :P It's impressive work for just a year and a half, and I hope my insight was useful
    btw if that snare has no distortion then it sounds like maybe something peaking? I'm not sure, its just a bit muddy when the snare hits.
    Glad ya think so. xD Hmm... yea with that snare, what may of happened is that it was peaking in the bus, because I promise you when I say at no point does my master clip in that song along with any of them.

Thanks
    I browsed through all of the tracks meaning I listened to them partly and I can say: Great work especially considering that you only do this for one and a half year. Good job.
    For my personal taste it would be better if the synths were more quiet so that the percussion moves more in the foreground.

What sounds like distortion on the snare in the second track is in fact a juxtaposition with a clap or another percussion element I believe, but I'm not sure

About the compression: I also think that's a little bit too much but many artists use this over-compression as a stylistic element, especially in lofi instrumental hip hop, so it's a matter of taste I guess

Good work overall but for my personal taste the melodies could be a little bit quieter and more subtle, but that's just me
    Last edited by darreichungsform; 07-31-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darreichungsform View Post
    I browsed through all of the tracks meaning I listened to them partly and I can say: Great work especially considering that you only make this for one and a half year. Good job.
    For my personal taste it would be better if the synths were more quiet so that the percussion moves more in the foreground.

What sounds like distortion on the snare in the second track is in fact a juxtaposition with a clap or another percussion element I believe, but I'm not sure

About the compression: I also think that's a little bit too much but many artists use this over-compression as a stylistic element, especially in lofi instrumental hip hop, so it's a matter of taste I guess

Good work overall but for my personal taste the melodies could be a little bit quieter and more subtle, but that's just me
    Ayeee!!! xD I'm not crazy! :P Yea... I side-chain such as I do strictly given taste. xD I've been musically influenced by people like Porter Robinson... (Don't know if you've ever listened to his remix of "Nero - The Thrill" or his original "Natural Light" but those two kind of speak my case. xDD ) Very glad you enjoyed! Had a listen to some of your stuff... I actually was listening to Novum while writing this... xDDD (Really good for concentration... LOL) Love it man... It's fun being a part of the brain-stimulating non-mainstream minority isn't it? LOL :P
    Last edited by Merton; 07-31-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Thread Information