Float (Surging) | Ambient Electronic

Virtualex

Hey there,

I created this tune after the release of the Reaktor Blocks 1.3 Update (Kodiak Blocks) while experimenting with the new blocks and ensembles.

First I was aiming at some ambient sound but things got out of hand a bit ...

I am still not really sure if it is finished but I guess it is ready to take some criticism :-)

So as always I'd be happy if you could leave a comment on things I might improve. :berzerk:

Cheers :cheers:
Virtualex

As I personally am curious how people create their sound, here's some technical info:

I made use of all the new Reaktor Kodiak blocks and all the new (official) ensembles containing them :-) (if you are curious what they can do:

REAKTOR Blocks 1.3: Kodiak family - YouTube )

In total there are

25 instances of Reaktor 6
23 of which are Blocks Ensembles
2 instances of the Metaphysical Function

1 instance of Spire
1 instance of Transistor Base
quite a few effecte / percussion samples
loads an loads of automation ;-)

Mastered using Izotope Ozone.

The whole production took quite some time cause the ensembles use so much cpu power. On my i7 3770k @4,2GHz I can render about 8-10 of the synth instances live. I had to sample all the others to be able to arrange them. Quite a pain if you want to tweak the automations again (which I do all the time).

I enjoyed this one! Also, if your cpu load gets a little too crazy from using beefy plug-ins such as Reaktor, you can bounce your midi out to audio. I have the same issue with my Kontakt libraries. When my cpu starts buffering I just record each instrument separately, and bounce them to wav files. It makes it a lot easier on the computer I've found. I like your track though, keep it up! :D

I enjoyed this one! Also, if your cpu load gets a little too crazy from using beefy plug-ins such as Reaktor, you can bounce your midi out to audio. I have the same issue with my Kontakt libraries. When my cpu starts buffering I just record each instrument separately, and bounce them to wav files. It makes it a lot easier on the computer I've found. I like your track though, keep it up! :D

Thanks for listening!!

Problem with the midi -> audio is that you have to redo it again when you want to tweak the automations (which I do all the time).

Maybe I should think about not using filters / reverbs on the synths themselves but rather apply them externaly to the channel ... won't work with synth specific functions (resonance, oscs, ...) though ...

Easiest solution would be a major hardware upgrade ... which unfortunately is the most expensive solution too :-)

Anyway, thanks for listening!!

Just so you can guess what my problem with automation is like ;-)

Hey there,

after some (very welcome) critics from listeners elsewhere I decided to create a new mix of the track ...

- ambient intro cut by two minutes
- extended finale
- some more synth layers who play throughout the track to give it more coherence
- some very prominent synth sounds who maybe stuck out a little to much in the mix where toned down
- lots of minor tweaking ...

Give it a listen if you like :-)

cheers

Last edited:
Back