[Dubstep/Electro House] D - Upside - "Gunshit" (Zeridan Remix) [F4F]

Hi Zeridan,

I think that you pushed everything in a limiter, which makes it sound a bit dull and sometimes even distorted. Even with dubstep you'll want some dynamics and be careful how to use the compressors/limiters..

Most important fix in your mix would be panning, many sounds are quite centered and are fighting for space and attention.
I understand the second part is different to keep people's attention, but it's quite far off the first section.. Perhaps you'll want to have some sounds recurring from the beginning, so that the entirety of the song is more coherent.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Precursor

Thank you!

my "mastering" was only 1 adaptive limiter that I pushed as much as I could so you were definitely right about that. Ill try and learn some better mastering techniques before I send this in.

Also about the panning/stereo imaging. I tried to incorporate some different panning, but whenever I try it sounds off to me. But when I hear other producers mixes I am often surprised by the stereo imaging and instrument separation. I will certainly try to improve on this!

I will check your tracks out when I get a chance today also

Last edited:
Thank you!

my "mastering" was only 1 adaptive limiter that I pushed as much as I could so you were definitely right about that. Ill try and learn some better mastering techniques before I send this in.

Also about the panning/stereo imaging. I tried to incorporate some different panning, but whenever I try it sounds off to me. But when I hear other producers mixes I am often surprised by the stereo imaging and instrument separation. I will certainly try to improve on this!

I will check your tracks out when I get a chance today also

There is this a m a z i n g free plugin called "DeePanPot" which uses psychoacoustics to pan sounds left and right. This makes them actually 'go' to the left and right, rather than adjusting individual levels of left and right. It sounds a bit peculiar, but it sounds absolutely amazing on percussion and sometimes on synths aswell.
Careful though, because it's not very subtle..

I think something that can help a lot is just daring. In my album mixdown, very late in the mixdown phase I started trying to pan synths and big elements. Worked as a charm! Just dare to pan your main synth like 5%-10% left and put another, background element at +20%. See how it majorly improves your mix when you listen everything together ;)

Back