Drowned beat. How to fix?

raudelan

[FONT=&quot]Every mix of mine sounds about like this; muddy and drowned - even though I'm trying to get the track as clean as possible.
I am using every trick I know of, which is obviously not enough.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I guess the best way of getting better is by receiving feedback on very specific things.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you hear anything you know how to fix then I'd love to hear your thoughts![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
you always fight by rodolen | Free Listening on SoundCloud[/FONT]

Hey, cool tune. Not sure what you have or have not tried yet but here's what I got:
Use a light amount of sidechain eq (maybe a touch more on the bass track) triggered by the kick drum.
Bring that snare up front, maybe some saturation and eq work in the higher frequencies.
Are you using a spectrum analyzer? I use voxengo span (free) and I keep a close eye on frequency peaks and try to get everything adjusted and balanced to taste before attempting adding a mastering chain.
Removing reverb and/or shortening decay time should create more space in the mix (maybe on the percussion tracks). There actually are free tools out there that calculate "appropriate" delay amounts based on bpm which may be of use as well.
Remove unwanted frequencies from each of your tracks; especially if you feel like they are competing for space.
Either way cool tune, different, and feel that the writing and overall vibe outshine issues you might have with the mix, but nonetheless getting solid at mixing down is important to me as well.

Hey,

Above comment went through the most! Equing is key, EQ away ALL the frequencies you dont need, remember the instruments should sound good together not one by one. Dont over reverb stuff, only use the reverb you need! Lastly make sure to use LIMITERS. Adjust the volume of everything, for example the kick should be rather loud, so reduce the volume so that they match eachother better. Anyways, nice song tho!

Back