Dream Membrane - ambient techno

Hi all,

My latest track, a sort of ambient techno inspired by Umfang, Silent Servant and uh Tangerine Dream. First time I've played around with recording my own samples and a more complex mix. Please have a listen and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
they are very minimalistic sounds, I would say ambient type.
I'd like something more aggressive, but it's my techno vocation ... nice

Davide

Thanks Davide, much appreciated! I have done and plan to do more aggressive tracks so please stick around to hear more :).

This is nice work. Really loved the synths and the sample. I also think the mix is good, it may need a bit more low end, but that may be just personal taste. Well done!

Thanks DZM, that means a lot to me as I've been finding my feet with mixing and this was the first time I've really felt like I was doing this properly, glad I didn't make any obvious mistakes. The low end was deliberate as it's more meant to be atmospheric/ambient than booming, but I can see what you mean and will take your feedback into account for future.

Very nice ambient track you've written! I liked the main melody: it's relatively basic, but it sticks with you and that's honestly all you need to build something catchy. Nice touch during the break having the pads take control of the rest of the track. I think my only issue here is that those kicks need to just sliiiiightly punch through more. I know, most ambient tracks typically don't have transients in their kicks but I think it would help a little by adding side-chaining so that way everything would sound balanced and have the kick more pronounced. But yeah, good stuff :)

Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Hey Slackeroverflow, the mixing sounds good but from a production standpoint the one thing that stood out to me was that some frequencies need better representation. Fill out the whole spectrum with pads and synths. It doesnt have to be overpowering. In fact, sometimes its almost inaudible until you solo it but it adds to the overall feel. Just my 2cents...if you were going to a more minimal feel, you do you!

Thanks all, some interesting feedback there. The kick drums don't punch through enough it's true, I was going for ambient or whatever but on ear-buds for example they are frustratingly quiet so I think it's a case of overdoing the whole pulsing as opposed booming thing, also a good reminder to always check how the song sounds on a few different devices... There is also a transition where the kicks go away too abruptly, I can see what you mean @Dirty32.

@DVJordan that's some feedback I didn't expect, I'm wary of the song becoming cluttered, also it was never intended to be a wall of sound...but also it's food for thought and I will consider this during future tracks.

Thanks again all, appreciate your support and kind words :).

It is ambient for sure, but the mix isn't really wide enough for my liking. Some of that popping sounds more like audible clipping to me, so its unpleasant on my ear at least from a production background. The transitions are also fairly non-existent, when i think of ambient, I think of wide soundscapes personally.

Back