Deep/ Tech House track - feedback wanted F4F

totta

Hey, so i just finished up a first pass and basic master of this track, looking for general feedback on mixing and levels as i generally use only headphones. Also, are any of the parts of the track sounding messy at all? im worried there might be too much percussion in it.

https://soundcloud.com/jamestottakai/lionise_12/s-dtYgr

Any feedback will be returned :)

thanks!

I think the introduction of hihat and snare could be more subtle. Maybe that goes for some of the other parts as well. Maybe some reversed or noisy sounds? The mixing sounds fine to me :) I like the snappy perc sounds and the highpitched legato-sine. I see what you mean about messy. I actually was waiting for the reverb on the percussion, because it sounds very close to the ears, but it can be a bit too much with the reverb around 4:50. You have an echo on here as well, right? maybe consider turning down the wet delayed signal. And what about some kind of pad in the first build-up? That could enhance the constrast of the emptyness at 2:40 i think. Btw. i think the sudden highhat at 2:55 works nicely. I guess i'm contradicting myself a little there ^^.

I think the volume of percussion sound which starts on 0:31 is a little high. About adding some kind of pad in the first build-up i agree with hvedemelsbof. Sounds not that empty but it would be better with a pad. Mixing is pretty good and clean in general.

Its nice, it flows well, but its not stand out or catchy enough but I think with a few adjustments to the mix you could bring out the appeal of the track.
Maybe its a little busy in general; too many sounds. Dance music is made for people who are ****ed up, and having raved to this kind of music a few times ;) its best not to overdo things. Keep it simple and drag the listener in with you, and don't think your way out of good hook! Remember that catchy (shitty) SHM tune 'One' DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH. We ALL remember that. Hope that helps man.

Some examples of this.
John Dahlback pyramid dirty south remix
Fake Blood I think i like it

hey Rdwilli, thanks for the feedback, i did notice however, that the comment you made on Soundcloud was actually on the older version posted in the link at the top of the page and not the newest one (1 above). Interested to see if you still feel the newer version was too "Busy" as this was something i tried to address particularly...

Man your sound is so clean, i wish i could make a sound like this. Well, working, improving, one day maybe... :D

ahh youre very kind, thanks, but all it takes is practice, my man :)

Heres a couple of really important ive learned the hard way but which really pushed things forward for me.
1. layer up your basses, that means taking the melody and duplicating it and changing the bass sound. This thickens up the sound nicely.
2. use multiple voices and detune slightly to give fatness to a sound
3. learn how to use compression, side-chain compression and multiband compression properly. They arent that hard but they are essential!

Hey this is interesting, the bass melody threw me off at first bcause im impatient lol but when i heard the nice drop i took it back and played it from the begining, i like the progression of the melodies, its like a movie, the dark horns remind me of Goldeneye007 its got a nice theactrical feel to it, then snaps back into that gd ol bass melody! Follwing on SC.
-Acid Ernest!

The track works for me, it progresses nicely and you can't quite put your finger on where its gonna go - that bass will sound good on a big system too im sure.

Added you on SC

thanks for all the comments, I will try and get back to everyone with some reciprocated feedback :)

As it stands with the track i still wasnt happy with the bass, it sounded too boomy on a few other soundsystems and just removing EQ was taking too much away. So, now im trying now to create a fuller bass which fits the sound and the EQ of the track better. This could take a while.... haha

Last edited:
Back