Check out my new track!

DZM

Dining Room Producer
Hi all,
apologies for the “faux” message of this morning. Please check out my new track “Holiday Haze”. Made it for the Noise Engineering Challenge at Reason Talk. All sounds except for the kick, snare, Rev cymbal and vocal are from the Noise Engineering synths. Style is electro / techno.

as always, keen on your thoughts and happy to listen to Urs as well!

Holiday Haze by DZM | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Great sound design in this! Something I would've experimented with is adding a reverse reverb tail back into those drums at the beginning to enhance the flow and groove but that's down to preference. The saw/synth that comes in at 44 in my opinion needs to be a big stronger and less static, maybe some volume automation and a little high-end saturation boost to let it dominate the mix more, as I feel that heavy of a sound shouldn't be fighting as much as with the other elements. Maybe some quick sidechain every bar would increase the dynamic of it. Also the high-end sparkle noise around 2:10 feels a little too harsh. Good work!

I agree with jdierks. Nice sound design ideas, wish for a bit more forward orientation.
Did you mix this on headphones or monitors? I am on consumer speakers here (Logitech Z333), and after the first minute the sound gets very dense and many of the nice details are drowned. A bit more airy mix would also give the sawsynth more air to breathe.

-- Ghosts: From Tribe to EDM and back again

I agree with jdierks. Nice sound design ideas, wish for a bit more forward orientation.
Did you mix this on headphones or monitors? I am on consumer speakers here (Logitech Z333), and after the first minute the sound gets very dense and many of the nice details are drowned. A bit more airy mix would also give the sawsynth more air to breathe.

-- Ghosts: From Tribe to EDM and back again

Many thanks for listening! Indeed mixed on headphones, where it all seems to be in place though listening it again it gets pretty busy in the high end. Many thanks!

Great sound design in this! Something I would've experimented with is adding a reverse reverb tail back into those drums at the beginning to enhance the flow and groove but that's down to preference. The saw/synth that comes in at 44 in my opinion needs to be a big stronger and less static, maybe some volume automation and a little high-end saturation boost to let it dominate the mix more, as I feel that heavy of a sound shouldn't be fighting as much as with the other elements. Maybe some quick sidechain every bar would increase the dynamic of it. Also the high-end sparkle noise around 2:10 feels a little too harsh. Good work!

thanks for listening and your feedback, greatly appreciated!

Really cool sounds. Very energetic song. at some points the mids and the highs seemed to clash a little. maybe some masking. overall really good though!

Nice! I really like the melody of the track and has a really nice flow, but, like what others have mentioned, it is too high-heavy and takes away any other instrument track that compliments with the song away because they're all drowning in similar frequencies. I usually find that by using some EQing, compression, saturation and slight reverb for each track will, first, take away any unnecessary frequencies and second, balances each other out that would otherwise conflict with the other tracks of the song. I found myself head-bopping to this song since it actually is really good and I also have a lot of appreciation for melodic music, haha! XD

Thanks for sharing

Nice! I really like the melody of the track and has a really nice flow, but, like what others have mentioned, it is too high-heavy and takes away any other instrument track that compliments with the song away because they're all drowning in similar frequencies. I usually find that by using some EQing, compression, saturation and slight reverb for each track will, first, take away any unnecessary frequencies and second, balances each other out that would otherwise conflict with the other tracks of the song. I found myself head-bopping to this song since it actually is really good and I also have a lot of appreciation for melodic music, haha! XD

Thanks for sharing

Thanks mate, appreciate you taking the time to listen and provide feedback!

nice drop and intro, but I will prefer if you make it more prominent and interesting, because it sounds a bit weak. Nice track though

Back