Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youtube sample detection - end of sampling?

Thanks

Youtube sample detection - end of sampling?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys,

i just found some music online which I would like to post, but cannot, because i don't have 5 posts.
    So the song is Xidus Pain - The Main Sequence.
    Youtube algorithm found out, which song he sampled, it's Donny Hathaway - Giving Up.
    So, the label that owns the music of Donny Hathaway is able to block the video of Xidus Pain anytime, And Youtube does not care.
    Do you think this gonna be an end of sampling for producers who put up stuff on Youtube? Algorithms get better ecerytime and it's just a matter of time till it can detect any sample used. And don't misunderstand, it's not about if you earn money with music or get sued from labels. It's only about the fact, that your music can be blocked on Youtube anytime.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by hlb90; 06-09-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    If you are sampling the whole song and not chopping it up I can see it being blocked. I don't agree with snippets being blocked. There should be some kind of rule about sampling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heavykingdom View Post
    If you are sampling the whole song and not chopping it up I can see it being blocked. I don't agree with snippets being blocked. There should be some kind of rule about sampling.
    There is! you basically cannot steal anybodies performance without their permisson.
    Some artist don't care and others will sue you for every penny.
    As for how much you can get away with the answer is not much.
    Years ago MARRS "Pump up the Volume" were sued by stock Aitkin and Waterman for about 2seconds of chopped vocal from the intro of "Roadblock" and can't remember who it was now but they were sued by David Bowies Drummer because they sampled the snare hit from "Lets Dance" Suprizingly Utah Saints weren't sued by Kate Bush for their "Cloudbusting" Sample which is suprizing because Kate Bush is very protective about her music.
    In short release sampled material at your own risk!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heavykingdom View Post
    What's wrong with talking to the people who own the music you like? I know exactly what goes into making music. People who make careers on the back bone of others by take a chop of what was created and using it in something else. It doesn't matter if made is made or not. Some people want to know who's riding their waves.

Quote Originally Posted by hlb90 View Post
    Hey guys,

i just found some music online which I would like to post, but cannot, because i don't have 5 posts.
    So the song is Xidus Pain - The Main Sequence.
    Youtube algorithm found out, which song he sampled, it's Donny Hathaway - Giving Up.
    So, the label that owns the music of Donny Hathaway is able to block the video of Xidus Pain anytime, And Youtube does not care.
    Do you think this gonna be an end of sampling for producers who put up stuff on Youtube? Algorithms get better ecerytime and it's just a matter of time till it can detect any sample used. And don't misunderstand, it's not about if you earn money with music or get sued from labels. It's only about the fact, that your music can be blocked on Youtube anytime.

What are your thoughts?
    I don't worry about such things. I'm a sample con except when it comes to DJ's.

Brought to you by IndieHost

Thanks
    What's wrong with talking to the people who own the music you like? I know exactly what goes into making music. People who make careers on the back bone of others by take a chop of what was created and using it in something else. It doesn't matter if made is made or not. Some people want to know who's riding their waves.

Exactly!
    By all means do the song then approach the Original artist.
    Some will allow it some will want credit and some will Release the hounds!
    Last edited by Lamster; 08-28-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks
    Dude chop your shit up and always layer your drums !!Also detune your samples change the pith up on them. Put the work in man.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dhwand View Post
    Dude chop your shit up and always layer your drums !!Also detune your samples change the pith up on them. Put the work in man.
    What's the point if youtube is going to block the video from being heard?

Brought to you by IndieHost

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerJC View Post
    What's the point if youtube is going to block the video from being heard?
    Thats why you're layering and chopping so that the algorithm doesnt recognise it.

Thanks
    I don't think it'll be the end of YouTube sampling because there will always be obscure records that YouTube won't detect. Plus some records get so chopped up and rearranged that you wouldn't be able to even tell where it was sampled from.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerme View Post
    Good
    Yes my thoughts exactly!
    However I was trying to be constructive

Thread Information