Youtube sample detection - end of sampling?

You don't want Al Gore Rythm You need to model it more on "Clinton" He wasn't bad on Sax and was always playing "AHH Monika"

I think you're a little confused over What an Algorithm is?
It is a mathermatical question that its complexity effects the conclusion.
What you are talking about is methodology or in laymans terms "How to do it!
You don't use algorithms to create music. Unless you have a Dx7 or a kurzwiel!
In that case it is a mathermatical manipulation of a digital wave each time the signal is transformed using a particular set of
sums ( algorithm) the sound is effected in a predicable way.
The plan was that you can make the sound you want but the reality is seldom the the case!

If Youtube are using an algorithm to detect copywrite protected material it depends on how it actually detects it?
The most obvious way would be to scan coywritten pieces of material using an alogorithm that will apply some sort of digital code to that material and file it into a data base.
So that instead of sound there is effectively a "Numerical String" or several for every song on the database.
This could be something like the result of a FFT ( Fast Fourier transform) for example
That is basically turning sound into 1s and 0s (in reality it will more likely be hexadecimal values). in a particulat order that when converted back represents that material.
The best way to describe an FFT is if a sample is a 2d snapshop an FFT is a 3D Model
If they then scan everything that is uploaded against the data base to see if any of the digital code matches.
It will see how much of the string matches the criteria might be say 16 character sequence either forward or reversed
So your 2 second break beat gives a code of 3fc245d43ffe321 and it finds 123eff34d542cf3 on the data base it will assume you're up to no good it will reverse your clip convert it and compare and if it matches they will ban it.

This isn't too dissimilar to how a duplicate file finder for your computer works.
If you get one of those change the name of the file the resolution and cut a bit off the end the software will still flag it as a duplicate it is actally digitally analyzing the data within the file. The way it does it is its Algorithm

Computers are very good at doing this and the Info from something like an FFT will
be number crunched like a mathermatical problem it could do it pretty quickly.
The other way of course could be AI there are already apps where you play music and it will detect it and identify the music for you. A more advanced version able to detect smaller samples would work pretty well.

You're missing the point for my use of the word. I'm not interested in tricking algorithms; I create tunes from a very blank canvas using gear that most people can't afford and don't understand. I'm far beyond needing a sampled song to complete an idea or get a feel for what I make. I can play by ear and still practice almost daily. I get asked to perform with bands at times; I'm not interested. It's for fun. I sell gear, engineer, and manage for a livable income. It's best to learn the instruments, master the real craft of making music. Learn everything, get out of the pocket.

I manage producers who sample; they're always having trouble with getting songs cleared. It seems to me they should also learn to play instruments. The people you're sourcing did, which is why you sample in the first place. I did enjoy sampled tracks at a point in time, but now its just out of hand. Sampling has taken musicians too far off the road from being creative truly. Yes, this is my opinion, take it or leave it. I appreciate an excellent remix like everyone else. I'm no music critic; instead, I like to keep an open ear a metaphor for oI manage producers who sample; they're always having trouble with getting songs cleared. It seems to me they should also learn to play instruments. The people you're sourcing did, which is why you sample in the first place. I did enjoy sampled tracks at a point in time, but now it's just out of hand.

Sampling has taken musicians too far off the road from being creative truly.Yes, this is my opinion, take it or leave it. I appreciate an excellent remix like everyone else. I'm no music critic; instead, I like to keep an open ear and mind. I still like sampled songs, however, will not judge them on the same level as composors of original hits.

Actually I'm not missing anything
I play I've only ever sampled instruments or sounds and never other peoples hard work.
That's just a cop out!
Personally I think sampling someone elses track is a cheap trick from talentless non musicians.
Kill me for that comment!
Yes there are some people that do some amazing stuff with samples and when you can't tell where it comes from thats a different thing altogether. Looping a lick or grove as an entire mixed soundbite is basically cheating and a low dispicable practice where by a talentless urk can pretend that they can create music. Its not its like DJ+ it has its place but don't ever call these people musicians

FYI having expensive equipment doesn't make your music good I started out with a home made mixer and bounced tracks backwards and forwards between a couple off 1/4" reel to reels with a cheap ass drum machine a couple of Sh101s a Jen sx1000 a Vox organ a Casio Keyboard and a poly 800 and that was way more than most people could afford at the time I've sold over half my gear and still have enough to open 2 shops.
But hey ho I can get 95% there with a DAW and some plug ins

Last edited:
Back