Are you aloud to sell sampled beats?

You have to get the sample cleared first or get sued! Thats one of the reasons i stay away from sampling.

You have to get the sample cleared first or get sued! Thats one of the reasons i stay away from sampling.

This is untrue. The person/label/entity that wants to release the music commercially is responsible for clearing samples. I sell sampled beats on the reg and it says in my production contracts that the artist is responsible for any sample clearance.

This is untrue. The person/label/entity that wants to release the music commercially is responsible for clearing samples. I sell sampled beats on the reg and it says in my production contracts that the artist is responsible for any sample clearance.[/QUOT

You must be dealing with newbie cats cuz i dont know anyone who knows just a small bit of music law would buy a uncleared sampled beat period! No one on sites like PMP would touch an uncleared sample beat with a 10 foot pole!

Last edited:
LoL, why do you think artists are always talking about albums getting pushed back or songs being dropped from albums due to clearance issues...

There is no black and white rule for who absolutely has to do it. In most cases it's done by the artist.

What if I change the pitch of the sampled vocal would that be enough to overlook clearance?

No, its not that easy. You need written permission from the publisher which costs money. No matter if its chopped, looped, pitched up its still a previous commercial recording. The art of sampling does come with a price tag. There are some who can sample without anyone ever knowing what they sampled and get away with. Also, I do believe it is cheaper if you can replay with instruments, a sample. Don't quote me there, but if you can replay a bass line with slight variation, you can say its original? Someone else will haveto chime in there......

I always put in me lease/exclusive contracts that artists are responsible for clearing any samples and never had any trouble. Also if the artist is somebody small, chances are nobody will hear it anyway.

No, its not that easy. You need written permission from the publisher which costs money. No matter if its chopped, looped, pitched up its still a previous commercial recording. The art of sampling does come with a price tag. There are some who can sample without anyone ever knowing what they sampled and get away with. Also, I do believe it is cheaper if you can replay with instruments, a sample. Don't quote me there, but if you can replay a bass line with slight variation, you can say its original? Someone else will haveto chime in there......

Thanks for the info. What happens if I use the song as a bonus track in my album. Does that change anything? I think I read about that somewhere. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. What happens if I use the song as a bonus track in my album. Does that change anything? I think I read about that somewhere. ;)

Doubt it. Bonus, single, feature, deep album track, filler song...all the same. Thats like saying I stole your car but I took my mom to work instead of robbing a bank. Still stole it.

I've sold sampled beats, clearance is the artists problem. Make sure that you provide them with a list of all samples used though.

I've sold sampled beats, clearance is the artists problem. Make sure that you provide them with a list of all samples used though.

Exactly...its true i dont sell anything on PMP but i still make a decent enough living from it and never had an issue....thats all i care about.

To the cat that asked if he can manipulate the sample so that it's unrecognizable.... M-Phazes was down in Cape Town last year and he was on some, there're companies that dedicate themselves to tell you if you've changed a song enough for them not have a case should they want to take legal action... But this means the sample itself is replayed, for example Gutter Rainbows, the sample was replayed... The OG beat was better though, I wish he'd release. So you can get away with it especially if you're handy with composition and theory, (save yourself an orchestra in your moms living room)... which is usually untrue for a lot of sample producers (not all obviously)

Back