Are you advanced in the art of sampling?

AndKrs

I've been producing for a while, but I'm not that experienced with sampling (currently trying to learn).I'm doing a song between 55 and 70 BPM but I just can't get this sample 'on beat'. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could sample the first 25 secs of this song for me, or give me tips on how to do it!! :)

I'm sorry if threads like this are being made too often, but I've tried to follow a few tutorials without much luck...I think I have a pretty cool vision for this sample.

what are you using to sample it, are you using any software? i sample my music in sony acid pro, convert it to an mp3, then load it in fl studio and lay the drums on there that way.

Sampling is simple, it's just really time consuming...
Basically timestretching or audiobending/warping/chopduping in a sampling tool.

The BPM isn't constant- they're deliberately slowing down/speeding up slightly as they play to get expression
Which is fine if you're playing live because the other players can react to it, but not for sampling

Do it a bar at a time ( there will be pauses and you'll need to cut some bits out, and not all the bars will be the same tempo) then timestretch the bars that aren't the same tempo so they're all the same tempo

The BPM isn't constant- they're deliberately slowing down/speeding up slightly as they play to get expression
Which is fine if you're playing live because the other players can react to it, but not for sampling

Do it a bar at a time ( there will be pauses and you'll need to cut some bits out, and not all the bars will be the same tempo) then timestretch the bars that aren't the same tempo so they're all the same tempo

I feared that the problem is BPM changes. I'll try to see if I can make it flow by doing it one bar at a time..Guess I'll have to adjust the pitch as well then

What I would do is measure the distance between two notes which repeat in each phrase and then use that distance in seconds to calculate the BPM.....70 sounds about right give or take a little here or there but it's best to be accurate if you are stretching.....finding the length/BPM allows you to then divide incrementally which you might otherwise have difficulty doing when the beat is implied without audible ques........another trick you might find useful is to speed things up so you can perceive more rhythm when timing, a bit like that scene in the Hunt for Red October where the sonar operator (Jones) speeds up the tape recording to demonstrate that what they are tracking is mechanical and therefore a man made.

Tap the tempo out for whichever part you are trying to use.(use software obviously)(for example if Maschine, use the "tap" function to find bpm. After you find the bpm, pitch it up or down to whatever bpm you want it at. If you don't like the pitch it's at when you change the bpm. then "keylock" it first, before you raise/lower the tempo. Some people don't like the slight warble this gives off(will be more or less depending how far from the original tempo you move it. Me personally I usually like it. I noticed that Madlib does it a lot, and he's a huge inspiration to me as far as his techniques go. You get a lot of young generic producers who basically won't do anything outside the box. So it sounds clean, but it also sounds exactly the same as everyone else's.

Back