Why sample from vinyl???

I was just wondering why so many people feel it's nessesary to sample from vinyl. You sort of limit yourself in my opinion.

Vinyl's harder to come across, cost's more money(also have to purchase a turntable)and you have easier access to so many sources. Since getting into computer audio I sample from mp3s, CDs, DVDs, and TV, that covers way more ground than vinyls.

On top of that, most of you run your audio thru computer which sort of defeats the arguement that you like the vintage sound.

its much more easier to find sounds instead of listening through the whole thing i think.

TRU, the thought of it and it's easier to find them oldies. I don't limit to just VINYL, i take alot of those CD's they sell on TV, my MOM buys them and I sample. Also, off the DIRECTV satellite. MP's maybe once every month.

vinyl is cheaper in many cases actually. unless you're trying to get some rare **** that cost $100. usually it's = to cds or more/less. and i record the playback of my vinyl onto the computer so 1. i still get a somewhat vintage sound and 2. i can listen for samples when it's recording. it is a pain but it's fun sampling off vinyl though i use mp3s alot cus it takes less time but if i have a couple hours for beatmaking i'll try to take out the trusty turntable :D

B/C WHEN "SAMPLING" FROM VINYL the lo-fi and analog sound peaks at a level which gives it a boost in the overall production quality,transferability(meaning easier to change formats w/o any decay or over-compression sounds climbing out of the track in the mixing stage),and basic structure of the sample.Also my two sense......I like when digging matching the samples with the studio they were recorded in.....like if you look on the back of the record *recorded @ hit factory circa 1989 I match it with another sample recorded in the same studio..my.reason is having to do with the sound the studio creates even after the original mixing process is complete this goes good for when you sample live instruments some of the eq levels match.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
I was just wondering why so many people feel it's nessesary to sample from vinyl. You sort of limit yourself in my opinion.

Vinyl's harder to come across, cost's more money(also have to purchase a turntable)and you have easier access to so many sources. Since getting into computer audio I sample from mp3s, CDs, DVDs, and TV, that covers way more ground than vinyls.

On top of that, most of you run your audio thru computer which sort of defeats the arguement that you like the vintage sound.

Dude! You just had to didn't you? :rolleyes:

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163019

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162977

I have to say the musical adventure for myself. Vinyl gives me a closer connection to music from the past then a Cd or MP3. I feel it's dope to come home with records that were made over 30 years ago pull them out of the album cover with everything still intact including the album sleeves (which can give some insight on other albums that were release by that artist or group). Sometimes just listening to the old headz who run certain spots I digg at tell me stories how to they played on different jazz tours. Plus had jam sessions with some major ol skool soul catz in little jook joints bac in the day are cool too.

Then it's times where I may be listening to a record for samples but end up just enjoying the music. So of course I have to replay the record.lol Those things I just can't get at my local CD retailer.So yes I went for being a digger for just samples to a collector of vinyl for myself. One important thing I learned from vinyl was Respect for the music.There are times when I have to sacarfice which albums means more to me becuz I know that it may not be there the next time I come back. These are just a few of my reasons why I prefer vinyl but not limited to just vinyl. Good luck to all with which ever path you take to create music.

Peace,
JBm

Loosely CD = 44.1kHz Vinyl = 48kHz. Somebody else I'm sure can get more into detail about that. I learned all the ins and outs of it earlier, but have forgotten like most things I learn just to pass a test. I'm aware of this much. I'm also aware that you can find 25 cent vinyl, $1 vinyl. Much of the same stuff can be found at music trader on CD for $1. But is the only reason the sound quality?

If I buy an old supreme album on CD it's digitally remastered from an old tape reel that's about as authentic as your sound from vinyl after being processed thru computer. If you're running analog gear, this makes sense, but most of you guys use turntables alongside Cubase or Live. This all just confuses me.

I used vinyl back in the days, still have a few albums and a record player(different from a turntable, lol)but now I sample from any RCA output source I can find. VCR tape has a analog gritty vinyl sound to it. Even tape decks. I'm not knocking it, just wonder if you guys feel you're limiting yourselves. I'm asking people who only sample from vinyl.

Last edited:
I myself haven 't sampled off of vinyl in a long time. i definitely can see the advantages of it. Sometimes you get that vintage sound that mastered cds take out. you also can find real rare stuff on vinyl in the back of Flea markets and thrift stores that just haven't been put on cd or cassette yet. Another advantage is that it actually keeps hip hop production close to it's roots because that's how all the ol' school producers sampled back in the day like Marley marl and them.

However, there are many disadvantages as well. nowadays (as somebody mentioned before) you have to still run the sound from vinyl through your computer (or an mpc/drum machine which is basically a small computer in a box) which kinda just adds in an extra step in the beat making process. Also, unless you're a sound quality god like some of you up here, the average Joe Smo is not going to be able to tell the different in 44.1khz or 52.3khz. Sampling off of vinyl often sometimes has to be cleaned and run through various filters because of hiss and clicks that a producer (like myself) does not want in the final product.

Basically, find out what works for you and do that. i know that sounds like a huge cliche but it's often the right answer. I digital dig all the time and find rare stuff just as the guy going to the $1 section of the crates. It's just whatever you're used to.

Facts:

Percentage or recorded music released on Vinyl between 1970-1980 - 99%
Percentage of that vast resource available to you on CD and MP3's THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE RECORDED FOR YOU AND TRANSFERRED TO THE NET! about 1%....

Opinion
Vinyl sounds better, its a more versatile way to produce if you use heardware (and in some cases software)

Bottom Line
You are lazy muffa****as, make synth music, it'll suit you better

LOL, make synth music if you complain about VINYL. <I like that. With a good mixer and recording hardware you can't go wrong using it on CPU!

Last edited:
I don't limit myself to vinyl, but you are alot more bound to find rarer shlt that not many else have if you dig in the crates. Cats always ask me, man where 9th be findin those damn samples... he digs, point blank. All the youngstas are just DLing shlt that's already been sampled time and time again, why not make the next hit they copy? Then again, I've found alot of nice shlt VIA... well can't give away all my secrets.

twinings said:
Facts:

Percentage or recorded music released on Vinyl between 1970-1980 - 99%
Percentage of that vast resource available to you on CD and MP3's THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE RECORDED FOR YOU AND TRANSFERRED TO THE NET! about 1%....

Opinion
Vinyl sounds better, its a more versatile way to produce if you use heardware (and in some cases software)

Bottom Line
You are lazy muffa****as, make synth music, it'll suit you better
1st off, those percentages are way off.

Lol, because I don't use vinyl i should use synths????
That's funny when most of my stuff has way less transparent samples than anyone's.

Rather than digging thru crates all day, I experience life and when I hear a sound I want, I get it, whether it's on a DVD, birds chirping outside my window, Vinyl, CD, a doorbell, tape, mp3, whatever. I didn't ask the question to be told to use synths. I do that when I want to also.

I just wanted to know why so many of you feel it's nessesary to use vinyl exclusively for samples. Seems more like you're the "lazy muthaf**ka". You don't use any other sources, hope you know how to scratch(I can, more than a little), if not, you're a waste of space when you get at me for asking a question and you don't even have your craft down. Hope you also know the right techniques to presrve that sound as you tranfer it(I can, more than a little).

I'm pretty sure that I'm such a "lazy muthaf**ka" that I can do the same(IF NOT MORE)with your Vinyl than you, and on top of that, that's just 1 of my 100s of sources for samples.

You sure told me.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
1st off, those percentages are way off.

Lol, because I don't use vinyl i should use synths????
That's funny when most of my stuff has way less transparent samples than anyone's.

Rather than digging thru crates all day, I experience life and when I hear a sound I want, I get it, whether it's on a DVD, birds chirping outside my window, Vinyl, CD, a doorbell, tape, mp3, whatever. I didn't ask the question to be told to use synths. I do that when I want to also.

I just wanted to know why so many of you feel it's nessesary to use vinyl exclusively for samples. Seems more like you're the "lazy muthaf**ka". You don't use any other sources, hope you know how to scratch(I can, more than a little), if not, you're a waste of space when you get at me for asking a question and you don't even have your craft down. Hope you also know the right techniques to presrve that sound as you tranfer it(I can, more than a little).

I'm pretty sure that I'm such a "lazy muthaf**ka" that I can do the same(IF NOT MORE)with your Vinyl than you, and on top of that, that's just 1 of my 100s of sources for samples.

You sure told me.

and your not the only FP user on here...

For the record my last post wasn't directed towards everyone, I ginuwinely just wanted to know what makes people decide to fully devote their sample library to vinyl. I realize now, "I'm just lazy and need to just use synths". LOL. The one time i ask rather than answer questions, this is my response? I almost forgot this is FP. Nobody's here to answer questions, are they?

Last edited:
Back