When making a beat

Wilby89

When making a beat do you normally search in the crates for drums or do you have that special drum kit that you can rely on? (When I say Drum kit I mean one that you've created not a producers or whateva's kit) Ive been watching a lot of jake one vids recently and noticed he will always find some drums when making a beat that might contribute to his beats sounding different everytime.

I mean I could easily use the same group of drums on each track, but I try to switch it up and find different sounds. We all have our "go-to" drums though when all else fails.

I don't use many drums from vinyl though, for no particular reason.

I tend to always make drums from scratch regardless of how I am creating. Meaning if i made a synthetic drum I make it custom for that beat from scratch. If its a vinyl sample I go through the breaks that I have and decide what I want to use. I tend to use Its A New Day, The Devil Lost Again and Walk this Way A lot though. As much as I dig for Sandy Nelson its kinda funny that I rarely use his drums. I don't use sample packs really. I have a few drum refills for Reason but outside of that I do not use them.

I have about 5 drumkits i can always rely on.
Than i'll go through 10 other kits to make sure i pick the best

i usually take my Kick/Snare/Hi-Hat from the same drumkit.

When making a beat do you normally search in the crates for drums or do you have that special drum kit that you can rely on? (When I say Drum kit I mean one that you've created not a producers or whateva's kit) Ive been watching a lot of jake one vids recently and noticed he will always find some drums when making a beat that might contribute to his beats sounding different everytime.

Me personally, I go with wat sounds best in my ear... I may switch it up here and there, but if i got somethin in my go to drumkit I tend to favor it...

geez usually its completely random for me. i have a ton of kits in my library and i just pick what sounds good, i dont think i re use too often. and ive yet to come across a break that's good enough quality for me to rip from vinyl

geez usually its completely random for me. i have a ton of kits in my library and i just pick what sounds good, i dont think i re use too often. and ive yet to come across a break that's good enough quality for me to rip from vinyl

You have the wrong records lol. Most of my stuff comes off vinyl. Most classic hip hop does too. Now it seems like the only cats rapping on drum breaks are eminem and kanye. jay z every so often.

You have the wrong records lol. Most of my stuff comes off vinyl. Most classic hip hop does too. Now it seems like the only cats rapping on drum breaks are eminem and kanye. jay z every so often.

well i only have about 6 records so far hhahahaha

that only helps my point. I might buy 10 records on one digging trip

i dont think that helps your point but whatever...

so do you prefer a break in a song or for the break to be chopped up and rearranged? I think that putting a break in a song as it is is the equivalent of looping a sample. im not against either but whats your standpoint?

I do both. Some breaks aren't really loopable as it would come off weird. And if you have 6 records and cannot find quality drums how does that not help my point of you having the wrong records?

i just didn't understand why getting 10 records a trip was important. obviously you have a lot more knowledge about what your looking for where as I don't have the slightest clue yet. I don't think anyone would with only having bought 6 records, I've heard many times here that it takes time to be able to pick out a record and know that it will be good. so i ask, is getting "ten records a trip" important because there is a higher chance of finding a break on them?

is getting "ten records a trip" important because there is a higher chance of finding a break on them?
Really depends on the records, their prices and your monetary situation. If you are after breaks, you could always school yourself on some of them here. Making lists might help remembering in the beginning.
But as you said yourself, it will take some time to get good at digging and you are bound to pick up a few misses if you go by intuition.

i just didn't understand why getting 10 records a trip was important. obviously you have a lot more knowledge about what your looking for where as I don't have the slightest clue yet. I don't think anyone would with only having bought 6 records, I've heard many times here that it takes time to be able to pick out a record and know that it will be good. so i ask, is getting "ten records a trip" important because there is a higher chance of finding a break on them?
It didn't have anything to do with how many I picked up on a trip but exactly how well I know records. You don't know enough about digging to really make a statement like there aren't any quality drums on vinyl because again you have only owned 6 records. I was surprised because again I usually pick up a minimum of 5 to 10 per stop per dig day. When I go digging I usually make a day out of it or at least try to.

i have producer kits... but i mix em up to get a snare+clap sound or jus a snare sound..

Back