What got u into sampling

To tell you the truth, I been sampling since I was young but not even knowing it, when I use to scratch records and speed them up and slow them down, I just liked the songs that way after a while instead of the regular way and then with the help of the late great RZA and Kanye samples just started being the best thing to do

My Amiga and the sampler cartridge I bought for it.

Oh, the memories! Especially proud of a trick I came up with to achieve better audio quality:
Super simple, actually: slow down the turntable as you were sampling. And then play the sample at a higher pitch - result: more fidelity.

Nowadays, pretty much any audio card does 96kHz or higher. Where have the limitations gone?

Early Wu-Tang stuff. When I realised you could make music by looping parts of an old track. Once I realised that I could do this myself I was hooked!

For me it was Hank Shocklee and The Bomb Squad's production on Public Enemy records that really opened up the possibilities of how records could be made in the late 1980s through sampling along with the work of Mantronix.theres also the early work of Depth Charge AKA Jonathan Saul Kane who was using drumbreaks in really interesting ways combined with samples from Shaw Brothers Kung Fu movies..(preceding RZA & the Wu Tang)

The Future Sound Of London were also pushing sonic boundaries in new,insightful ways,again,it really opened a whole new world of where sampling could take an artist sonically and creatively,

There's an excellent article in Sound On Sound (which can be found online)that goes into the details of how 'Papua New Guinea' was recorded and produced which is worth a read for any sample heads out there.

The real beauty of sampling is it breaks down any pre conceived rules or musical barriers with the sheer freedom of musical expression it allows the user of the instrument to have which can only be a good thing in my opinion!..;)

Here We Are One Time (Album Mix) | Danswift

Danswift | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Back