What does Madlib use?

Madlib recorded the whole Madvillain album with the Boss SP-303. He uses the 303 for the bulk of his work. He also uses the Emu 1200 alot. I believe he does all his recording on a 4-track still. Also remember this guy has more records then a Ma-F*ka:D

Madlib uses

Madlib uses whatever he can find/use that suits him. The key to Madlib is HIM his style the way he chops not the machine he uses. As for the 303 - No he didn't make the ENTIRE madvillian cd on it - only 2 tracks rhinestone and another one check the stone throw web site under madlibs pics. Honestly it seems he is like rza - picks up some new gear each new project - he did shopping bags 4 de la soul on the mpc4000 - the lootpack cd sp 1200 - he also uses the Roland 303, 404, 606 - Electribe EX, the list goes on once agian proving its not the gear but the man.

Probably. Depends what your trying to do. Like Madlib I use older gear and sample obscure jazz records. If you want to make non-sample based sh*t maybey its a good buy. What style are you going for?

Electribe ESX - I just picked one up a week ago its not bad it can work a sample like no other and the tube gain for an analog touch works great. Its very simple control interface but I just bought an mpc 3000 to go with it J Dilla style to have the best of both worlds - I just prefer my 16 pads.

Chosen One said:
Probably. Depends what your trying to do. Like Madlib I use older gear and sample obscure jazz records. If you want to make non-sample based sh*t maybey its a good buy. What style are you going for?

Well, i compose most of my hip-hop on my xp-60. My style is more mello/jazz oriented, and i would like to incorperate samples into my music. Basically somethin i can freak a sample with, with good effects, and possibly be able to change the pitch of samples without changin the speed etc... Also somethin i can chop good on. You think that would fit the bill?

hmmm....I have an Akai s-1000 that works well for my needs, and I make obscure jazz beats. You may want to look into a retro sampler like the s-1000 or 950. Whats your budget anyways?

Chosen One said:
hmmm....I have an Akai s-1000 that works well for my needs, and I make obscure jazz beats. You may want to look into a retro sampler like the s-1000 or 950. Whats your budget anyways?

My budget aint very high, maybe up to $400. How exactly do those rack mounted samplers work? Seems like they dont have no pads or nothin. They are usually priced good, but i guess im used to seein samplers like the MPC and Roland jawns. How do they stack up? and more importantly, how do you sample on um?

rapmaster_e said:
i thought i read on your soundclick you had an asr-x?
Years ago i did, but it wasnt fully operational and i had to take an L without even really learnin how to get down on it. Im just now tryin to get back to samplin. Ive been lookin mostly at the asr-x(there down to $200 on ebay), but also at the Roland Sp units, Mpc's(prolly a 2000). I would like to know how those rack mounts work so i could possibly cop one a those.

Seems like every one who's new to production only knows about the MPC's. Yes their amazing in fact probably the best hardware available. But their overrated in the sense of how badly people "think" they need one. You said you produce "mello" jazz, I'm not sure pads would really help you. My s-1000 yes had unfortunatly no pads, but then again I paid like 300 bones for it fully loaded in great shape. The akai s-series as a whole are oriented at sample based producers(such as myself). You should also check out the ASR-10, great for chopping. Me and you sound like we have similar tastes so I think this advice could help you our a little. Personally for me I feel its time I upgraded with the times and bought a workstation. I played around with the Triton and thought it was dope. Tried the Motif(which I can't afford i.e. I can only drop one grand). Then I tried the Fantom! WOW this thing is a joke to sample on, plus had pads to bang on, numerous presets,solid synth as it is, 35 drum kits, ohh yea and a sequencer LOL. I live in Canada its 1000 for some reason here, where the rest are alot of money. Moving back to school in September, so this investment will help me turn out the obscure jazz I produce in a little more organized format. If 400 is what you'll spend, I suggest older gear possibly, maybey the Boss SP-606, if that has gone down in price. Hope this helped

Chosen One said:
Seems like every one who's new to production only knows about the MPC's. Yes their amazing in fact probably the best hardware available. But their overrated in the sense of how badly people "think" they need one. You said you produce "mello" jazz, I'm not sure pads would really help you. My s-1000 yes had unfortunatly no pads, but then again I paid like 300 bones for it fully loaded in great shape. The akai s-series as a whole are oriented at sample based producers(such as myself). You should also check out the ASR-10, great for chopping. Me and you sound like we have similar tastes so I think this advice could help you our a little. Personally for me I feel its time I upgraded with the times and bought a workstation. I played around with the Triton and thought it was dope. Tried the Motif(which I can't afford i.e. I can only drop one grand). Then I tried the Fantom! WOW this thing is a joke to sample on, plus had pads to bang on, numerous presets,solid synth as it is, 35 drum kits, ohh yea and a sequencer LOL. I live in Canada its 1000 for some reason here, where the rest are alot of money. Moving back to school in September, so this investment will help me turn out the obscure jazz I produce in a little more organized format. If 400 is what you'll spend, I suggest older gear possibly, maybey the Boss SP-606, if that has gone down in price. Hope this helped

How do you use it if it has no pads to trigger samples on?
The sp-606 is about $600 minimum. The Boss 505 on the other hand, is about $230-260 range. thing is, the asr-x been going for less than that. Im bout to check on that s-1000 right now. .thanks

I have an electribe esx-1 and I don't really like it unless I'm using it to play back samples as a MIDI slave, for making beats on solo I am not feeling it for sequencing because you can only do 16th note quantization with a swing algorithm on it. For me that's not fine tuned enough. You can't put a drum a little off beat unless you use the built in swing algorithm which I don't like. But for hooking up to a keyboard to play back samples it's ok.

A rack sampler is cool to build samples on. Then you can midi a keyboard to it and play samples like that.

The 303 is the best tool i have used just for simple sample manipulations. A pleasure to work with. Other samplers seem very clunky and a bit like hard work now.

Also despite what is said you could build whole tunes using it, if you needed to.

Maybey you should check out the Boss Sp-404 also. The s-1000 is dope, but if its pads your looking for look elsewhere. Like I said its limited in that aspect. Its not a drum machine, you must put all the sounds into it. Thats why I'm upgrading to a Fanton Xa soon, cuz theirs pads, plus the whole workstation aspect for cheap. ebay has real cheap s-series samplers.

Chosen One said:
Maybey you should check out the Boss Sp-404 also. The s-1000 is dope, but if its pads your looking for look elsewhere. Like I said its limited in that aspect. Its not a drum machine, you must put all the sounds into it. Thats why I'm upgrading to a Fanton Xa soon, cuz theirs pads, plus the whole workstation aspect for cheap. ebay has real cheap s-series samplers.

So basically, i could MIDI the s-1000 to my Roland XP-60 and trigger the samples on there and just seguence it on a program or Other sequencer? If so, i could live with that.

diamond_cutter_face said:
I have an electribe esx-1 and I don't really like it unless I'm using it to play back samples as a MIDI slave, for making beats on solo I am not feeling it for sequencing because you can only do 16th note quantization with a swing algorithm on it. For me that's not fine tuned enough. You can't put a drum a little off beat unless you use the built in swing algorithm which I don't like. But for hooking up to a keyboard to play back samples it's ok.

not true you just have to change the scale it's possible to do 1/32 and triplets quite easily...

Probably could, I don't want to tell ya yes, cause I'm not sure. Honestly man just save up more money and buy an MPC-1000 or something. I don't think you want the s-1000 or 950. It's great for me, where I sample strictly and loop. Like I said it still holds up even today like the ASR does, but I'm getting with the times and buying a Fantom. Me and you are in similar posistions. I want pads also, but I want a workstation so I new it was going to be MPC-1000 or Triton LE, then I tried the Fantom and my mind is made up. How old are you anyways? Do you have a job?

Back