What does "chopping" mean?

yungRC

I hear of people talking about chopping. Is it basically cutting a song into different pieces and basically rearranging it to make a different sounding beat, yet you're using the same song except "chopped" up and re-arranged so it sounds different?

When you chop a sample it means when you switch parts of the sample into different parts its really self explanatory.

Yeah, so basically what I just said....? That doesn't really help just by saying self-explanatory, why would I have took the time to make a thread if I already understood it? Obviously, I did not know for sure so I'm asking.

Enndee said:
When you chop a sample it means when you switch parts of the sample into different parts its really self explanatory.

you just partitally described flipping.

Chopping is just disecting the song you're sampling so all you have is the part or parts you want to use from that track

(going in deeper)
Then you slice it, into smaller parts, but those arent seperate audio files like your chops. The slices are basically just cut sections.

Using those cut sections you can easily change the tempo or pitch without affecting the other, you can flip it, or whatever

yungRC said:
So basically what I described sort of?

these guys are just trying to sound like they know exactly what's going on, but when u look in the dictionary, it's not there. it's exactly what u think it is dude, just like u said in ur first post. if u take a sample and cut out a 1 beat, that beat is a now a chop. you'll hear producers or beatmakers saying yo check how i arranged my chops or you need to clean up your chops, those individual beats u take out of the sample are your chops, plain and simple.

BigJohnAudrey said:
these guys are just trying to sound like they know exactly what's going on

He ask, the other guy, IMO, didnt really explain it well, so I told him. Simple as that.

Oh and no, its not in the dictionary, why would you even think of something like that. ?_?

where's ur beats fool?

lion-ucs said:
He ask, the other guy, IMO, didnt really explain it well, so I told him. Simple as that.

Oh and no, its not in the dictionary, why would you even think of something like that. ?_?

nobodys looking in the dictionary you idiot, its an analogy cause the way u were exapling the chops and slicing as if u got the information from somewhere. get it? there is no right answer, u just make **** up and play it off like u got it from the great producers dictionary. the dude already had the right idea leave it at that. do u understand that? or should i break it down into steps for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
BigJohnAudrey said:
where's ur beats fool?

nobodys looking in the dictionary you idiot, its an analogy cause the way u were exapling the chops and slicing as if u got the information from somewhere. get it? there is no right answer, u just make **** up and play it off like u got it from the great producers dictionary. the dude already had the right idea leave it at that. do u understand that? or should i break it down into steps for you?

Well, since were all being assholes then yea, break it down. and I'll pretend to read your next post. ;)

Sanguis Mortuum said:
My god this is a retarded thread...
You ain't kidding. All they had to say was, "Yea man, you're pretty much right," "you're on the right track, but to go deeper, it is this:."

Instead, people always go up in threads trying to sound like THEY know it and never want to just admit that a person knew what they were talking about all along.

I hate the whole "ego on message boards" type stuff. When I first came here, that's all that there was, it's gotten better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back