What are the best people to sample

Earthquake

I'm dancing so what!!
I need help as you can see I'm kind of a newbie at this I only sampled two songs and I think I'm horrible at it check for yourself

www.soundclick.com/raidowave

The songs that I sampled are
Lifes a skipped Record and FP Working Progress First sample.

Well Basically I need to know who's the best to sample out there. And especially if they are easy to clear also.

Last edited:
Earthquake said:
I need help as you can see I'm kind of a newbie at this I only sampled two songs and I think I'm horrible at it check for yourself

www.soundclick.com/raidowave

The songs that I sampled are
Lifes a skipped Record and FP Working Progress First sample.

Well Basically I need to know who's the best to sample out there. And especially if they are easy to clear also.

I don't sample heavly so I couldn't tell you a list of artist to sample but I can maybe give you some ideas.

Try sampling music such as Classical, Jazz, Gospel, and Choir music. They have nice instrumentation that could be easily looped. Just a idea but may help you out.

Now as for getting samples cleared if you ain't out selling to famous cats then don't worry about gettin' em cleared cause most producers make the artist/company who buy the music get it cleared.

Besides since you say you are a newbie focus more on getting your music better instead of worrying about clearance rights.

I hope that helps.

Much Love,
missdjcoley-cole

It all depends on the sound you want. I always check the jazz section, world music(chinese, japanese, brazilian)You can always get good issh from some world music. As far as names go I guess I'll throw at a few Herbie Hancock, the Headhunters, Bill withers, Jeffrey osbourne, bob james. Now from these names i would pick a few of these up listen to them. if you like what you hear. the next time you go out try to remember maybe what label put those records out, or who played bass, drums, keyboards, etc. Because as your going through other records you might find those ppl on some other issh. And as time goes on, and the more you dig you'll begin to know what you like, and what is good. i would also try dollar record bins at thrifts and such. just grap records where ever you can. From there you'll taste, and knowledge of diggin will grow. i hope this helped. Also remember that diggin is only half the battle.
peace

Theres no "best to sample" . . . you can sample anything and everything. It's up to you and your skills to turn it into something that sounds good.

As far as clearing you just can't say "oh he/she is easy to get cleared" because you never know if something will get the clear or not.

As for a tip of what to sample try tracks from the 1960's, 70's, and maybe alittle of the 80's. Also theres post around here somewhere thats called "share a sample" or something close and it names some good songs to sample, search for it.

I dont know about clearing and all since i never had one of my samples cleared.

But Isaac Hayes, David Ruffin, and the Dramatics are the best and easiest to sample i found out.

Try to get some of the "not so popular" songs too.

Personally I like to sample people that will never show up in this list. Get a cheap record player and run down to some flea markets, garage sales, record exchanges and buy anything thats old, who cares if it looks stupid. I dont always do this but i find it fun. I try to make a beat out of every record I buy

Earthquake said:
I need to know who's the best to sample out there.

www.worldofbeats.com

He knows everything. There's nothing you would have ever got over Phil. And the articles are incredibly entertaining.

If there's one piece of advice I have: NEVER chop something and think it sounds great just because it's chopped.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't worry about clearin samples. unless your sellin 10k units. F-it sample whatever the hell u like.

the best artists to sample are people noone's ever heard of;)

Isaac Hayes
James Brown
Earth Wind & Fire
Millie Jackson
...are some popular names with good material for us cratediggers.

dj imperial beatz said:

Isaac Hayes
James Brown
Earth Wind & Fire
Millie Jackson

Earth Wind & Fire?? I just dont feel right sampling them, its like sampling stevie wonder or something

dj imperial beatz said:

Isaac Hayes
James Brown
Earth Wind & Fire
Millie Jackson

Are you crazy everyone knows them...

I herd james brown is a ***** to clear though

You wanna sample people that noones heard before

But since your prolly gonna download them and not get the vinyl I suggest looking into the Dramatics, Ahmad Jamal, Millie Jackson, and sh*t like that

There is no "best" person to sample.Sampling comes from the producer himself.You can sample whatever you are feeling and by adding your own twist to it that is the "best" you did, knamean.
I just sample anything that I enjoy.Doesn't matter whether its a not so popular act such as Tyrone Davis or a group such as The O'Jays or Earth,Wind & Fire.Every group has tracks that arent as popular and most of the "unknown" tracks are probably the best, imo, to sample.
Just listen to groups that you know about, and go out and actually buy their works and youll find gems here and there.(Its going to be hard for you now though since most works arent available on CDs anymore or are too rare to find, and the same with Vinyls you can find them but for alot of money depending on the rarity.)

Back