Vocalist: When and why?

Devota_Exzyl

Hi,

I was wondering which is the most effective (royaltie wise, time wise, money) way to get urban female vocal samples (think lucy pearl, alunagoerge,...).
In any form really (Phrases, ad-libs, single shouts).

*Sample packs
*Vocalist: performer;artist/session singer
*Vinyls/well known etc

I've bought Rasta vocals(Prime loop) at the time, and was pretty happy with it but haven't quite found any urban female vocals and worry about the copyright side of things when it comes to sampling. Always been a bit safe in music (not the creative side.. at least I hope to think that :o).
In this case what would you do? Go :cry:through personal contacts and record them(regardless of their abilities to interpret what you want), look for a vocalist online (session singing, performer, .. and arrange a recording) or another online alternative?

Cheers!

:angel:

first post nice haha. idk i kno a few girls that ive already thought about doing something with, and not session musicians or anything theyre just friends. someone i know just made a song with some female vocals on it that they found on the internet for free, the only thing the singer wanted was to be credited if it gets sampled. im not sure what u mean by urban tho haha

I hire session vocalists. Pay them to sing the melody line I´ve made up front. That way the royalties are mine. Or I might offer them some part of the songs royalties. Most people rather want 85 USD in the pocket than 8500 USD the day the song reaches Hot 100 #1. Looking at the statistics, I can´t blame them :alcoholic:

Last edited:
Session singers, best option I'm thinking.

Hey,

Yup very first post! Haha, and sessiosn singers seem to be the best option, get the exact words (unlikely that someone else has the exact sentence like samples) and yep. Only bother would be if you have to record the singer yourself I'm imagining. But I'm guessing most of them have their own recording equipement or acces to studio. What about rap? Anyone ever thought of getting a session "rapper".. if that exists. I know some sessions singers can also do voice-offs(no singing) therefore have great abilities to recreate certain voices and theeen rap. Pretty impressive stuff. Anyways:victory:

By urban, I mean R&B, with an edge if that makes any sense. Not too gospel (deep, big vibrato, ), but with rythym/dynamic and influences from all over. Basicaly vocals that could suit anywhere, mainly mainstream but still on any genre of music and make it urban/modern?

Anyways, this isn't an official term, I just make these terms in my head, to color music, and arrange it...

Last edited:
Back