A tip for samplers...

J

JiggSaw

Ok... I'll admit it. I'm selfish when it comes to my sampling secrets/tips but I'm feeling generous. Some experienced samplers might already know this. To get a nice rich and thick bass.... sample from "Live" records. Example: Donny Hathaway - These songs are for you, Live. If you have cool edit... put the FFT filter on it. Pick the preset "only the subwoofer". Then compress it and get the volume back up. And surpise! You got a nice, thick, Just Blaze rocfella type bass. You can do it with any record.... but "Live" records are the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use this technique to bring out basslines in my samples but this is a great tip ur probabaly talkin for samplin multiple songs together too i dont think many cats here sample 2 or 3 songs together i know i cant do it lol

an equally good tip is to have a sine wave along with your tools for sampling- layer that an octive below your bass and have the same envelope on it... people's families will vibrate for generations b/c of that bass

also consider splicing the front of a bd onto a basstone...compress... and you'll find that sound making its way into a lot of things you touch

-lodger

Lodger said:
an equally good tip is to have a sine wave along with your tools for sampling- layer that an octive below your bass and have the same envelope on it... people's families will vibrate for generations b/c of that bass

also consider splicing the front of a bd onto a basstone...compress... and you'll find that sound making its way into a lot of things you touch

-lodger

thanks, i'll try that when i have the possibility, but only thinking about this makes me understand the logics of it..

i can imagine that you can get some nasty results of the layered-lowered sine wave together with the bass

this should sound like some of those subbasses

another cool technique for bass sounds:

say you have a vinyl record (for the sake of vinyl warmth) that has an open guitar sound (no other sounds on top of it) and the guitar sound is just one held-out note. sample that to your keyboard sampler, maybe use a tuner to find out the root note. then go down to the keys in the bass range and play your bass down there. to shape the sound to your liking, run the sampler through a resonant lowpass filter (with the resonance turned up a good bit, experiment to find the right cutoff).

some samplers might let you loop up the end of the sample so the note can be held out indefinitely, and then you can put your own amp envelope on the sample to shape your own dynamic. if you compress the sample the right way, THEN loop up the end of the sample, the looping might sound a bit more smooth.

ya i saw the dub j beatmakin video he was doin that on his ish. you can also add some waves plugins like maxbass to add some extra bass it sounds phat as hell.

kboyyc said:
ya i saw the dub j beatmakin video he was doin that on his ish. you can also add some waves plugins like maxbass to add some extra bass it sounds phat as hell.
maxbass is ight. ive played with it and it can give a phat sound if i had a good filter to go with it id plug both into acid and be a happy man.

ay 2nice great tip i used to do that with bass line notes but i never thought to try it on other inst it actually is easyer to work with on the guit noises thanks

i get my hardest drums when i record a drum or loop from a cd or record to a tape(old 4 track) then sample them.But thats my secret.(lol)

since we're sharing...

originally got this tip from sonicstate.....anybody with an sk-5 casio....when you find a kick drum you like sample it in that keyboard first....then dump it in your up to date sampler and instant dirty, grimy, in your face kick drum....i think it's a bit rate issue of the sampler but when i resample at a lower bit rate with my up to date sampler i dont get the same results....anyway, sounds good and the kicks really pop out of the mix without adding mud to the low end...

and thanks for those other tips fellas. peace

^ I was searchin and i found it and was wondering which settings should i put when compressing

Xabiton said:
i use this technique to bring out basslines in my samples but this is a great tip ur probabaly talkin for samplin multiple songs together too i dont think many cats here sample 2 or 3 songs together i know i cant do it lol
You could use this feature for a lot of stuff, but as far as samplin 2 or 3 songs together, it can be done. i sample multiple songs all the time. my song JUST BLAZE(no relation to just blaze) at www.soundclick.com/djgutterman i sampled frank sinatra, an old tuba sound from a 30's big band song, and a fats domino song.

Back