Those horns in all the old school 90's and big L tracks

tha_kid_tweak

BLUNT SMOKIN, BEAT MAKIN
Also heard alot on the new celph titled album nineteen ninety now

Where can I find all these horn sounds? ive searched everywhere.

perfect examply is the beginning of "Swashbuckling" off the celph titled lp

Last edited:
Not sure the exact sample but it'd be quite easy to just go find a horn stab that sounds similar or adjust the pitch to get it similar

Great question! After extensive searching and internet digging in an attempt to cull this resource, I have yet to discover it. The good thing is that someone knows, and, subsequently, I am now very curious as I've heard these horns/stabs many times before. In "All Black" by Big L, beat by Lord Finesse, it is apparent that this is more than a stab. Let me know if anything is availed and I will to you.

Happy hunting!

Pete Rock really invented the "horn stabs" in rap beats....funny, I used to hate it. But basically, liek the homie said: Jazz records. I'd say look for some early free jazz shit too...or you can just download a Pete Rock sample set..

It's pretty easy to get that sort of sound with the right samples, maybe add some delay/echo and possibly pitch them down a bit. I like horn (and other instrument) samples that you can actually play with a midi keyboard and make an original melody or tune with, without it sounding obvious that you're just playing a sample on different notes. I like turning the attack and release down on the FL sampler channel envelope (under the INS tab), then playing around with all sorts of samples to see if they sound any good when played like a synth. Obviously it helps if it's just one (sustained) note and not harmonised (makes it much easier to tune to bass/synth etc.)

The actual sounds like it comes from this song, Soul Travelin' by Gary Byrd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y_Ma71iWTg

yeah that's 8 is enuff by big L. among a few other tracks.

tbh Horn/Trumpet stabs are the easiest thing to find in records, its just finding a really good one.

it's no secret, it's all from jazz, like loads of jazz, particularly bebop and hard bop. but also Free Jazz.

cop a couple jazz albums and youll find a few.

yeah that's 8 is enuff by big L. among a few other tracks.

tbh Horn/Trumpet stabs are the easiest thing to find in records, its just finding a really good one.

it's no secret, it's all from jazz, like loads of jazz, particularly bebop and hard bop. but also Free Jazz.

cop a couple jazz albums and youll find a few.

While you are correct, nobody here knew the actual name of the sample, including myself. Even though it is not very obscure, the point was no one here was getting this gentlemen the sample source.

If it was "no secret" perhaps you should have apprised the rest of us as to the actual source.

Last edited:
Back