Think before you sample

maaan thats a comeup some real crafty shit lol. i wouldnt have thot about that probably cuz i never buy songs. where do you get the ableton 9? your running the beta right?

I have the LIVE 9 SUITE the full version came out on March 5th. The upgrade is $300 but it's $250 until March 12th. I was going to get it eventually so I figured I might as well save the $50 and get it now. Most of the new features are for "serious" musicians but a "beatmaker" like me can appreciate the upgrade. I don't do fancy automation curves and all of that technical stuff they added. I just make a beat and sequence it. The browser is a lot better. For a beatmaker, the main draw are the sounds that you get. Those drums be knockin' lol. I was doing some DJ Mustard ish because the drums were sounding good by themselves... no need to crowd 'em out.

Oh, they have this LIVE Pack made of nothing but weird noises... I forget what it's called. It's got like spoons, forks, chickens.... go Timbaland, ha ha.

Yeah, those people reselling those songs are hustlers. Too bad their gig is over pretty soon. Apple and Amazon are still working on the technology so technically the hustlers are still in business for a little while.

Last edited:
I have the LIVE 9 SUITE the full version came out on March 5th. The upgrade is $300 but it's $250 until March 12th. I was going to get it eventually so I figured I might as well save the $50 and get it now. Most of the new features are for "serious" musicians but a "beatmaker" like me can appreciate the upgrade. I don't do fancy automation curves and all of that technical stuff they added. I just make a beat and sequence it. The browser is a lot better. For a beatmaker, the main draw are the sounds that you get. Those drums be knockin' lol. I was doing some DJ Mustard ish because the drums were sounding good by themselves... no need to crowd 'em out.

Oh, they have this LIVE Pack made of nothing but weird noises... I forget what it's called. It's got like spoons, forks, chickens.... go Timbaland, ha ha.

Yeah, those people reselling those songs are hustlers. Too bad their gig is over pretty soon. Apple and Amazon are still working on the technology so technically the hustlers are still in business for a little while.

dam im late lol. i just switched from fl to ableton 8 and now they got 9. i gotta get my hands on it one way or another. thats how it is tho feel me its cat and mouse. right when amazon figure that out the people gon be on to the next move.amazon and them is some greedy motherphuckers ill tel u that much. they dont even own the songs lol

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

The old fella is right especially since we're not talking about artists who may only sell 5,000 units. I'm curious to see how much'd his check would be anyway if the artists he mentioned paid sample clearance since someone else probably owns the majority of the publishing.

alotta of these old heads have there business on point. they can make a good living off somgwriting so they make sure the copyright stuff and that works in there favor. he mentioned two other writers of that song so hed prbably just have to split it with them. i dont no how much the musicians actually get but the songwriters get cashed

they dont even own the songs lol

I don't know if they care about the songs. I think they care more about creating the technology that prevents people from reselling songs and they'll sell that.

Music is probably the last thing on Amazon's mind... it might be on iTunes' mind though.

Almost EVERYTHING I buy comes from Amazon. I need to read reviews on stuff before I buy it. I paid the $79 for the Prime membership so I get my stuff in 2 days (plus get to watch all of their movies with the subscription). So far... everything has showed up in 2 days. They'll suck you in with their prices. There's an electric razor I was looking at in Fry's Electronics... it was $149... on Amazon it's $99. I know, why pay that much for an electric shaver... because it works better than the $39 model is why.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Look through your garages and sell ish on Craigslist... turn it into the LIVE 9 upgrade!!!!!

That's how I'm covering mine. Anybody want to buy a carpet steamer? how about a wet / dry vac? Air mover? Lazy Suzanne? Old baby clothes?

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Endless fun...

www.maxforlive.com - Download Max for Live Devices

Last edited:
I don't know if they care about the songs. I think they care more about creating the technology that prevents people from reselling songs and they'll sell that.

Music is probably the last thing on Amazon's mind... it might be on iTunes' mind though.

Almost EVERYTHING I buy comes from Amazon. I need to read reviews on stuff before I buy it. I paid the $79 for the Prime membership so I get my stuff in 2 days (plus get to watch all of their movies with the subscription). So far... everything has showed up in 2 days. They'll suck you in with their prices. There's an electric razor I was looking at in Fry's Electronics... it was $149... on Amazon it's $99. I know, why pay that much for an electric shaver... because it works better than the $39 model is why.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Look through your garages and sell ish on Craigslist... turn it into the LIVE 9 upgrade!!!!!

That's how I'm covering mine. Anybody want to buy a carpet steamer? how about a wet / dry vac? Air mover? Lazy Suzanne? Old baby clothes?

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Endless fun...

www.maxforlive.com - Download Max for Live Devices

shit get it how you live bro. yeah they dont care about the music its all about a profit which is cool it is what it is as long as they stay in there lane. i dont get stuff from there but shit sound like a cool deal. i just moved so i dont have nothing to sell except my music services so itll happen one way or another. itll happen tho

DesireInspires is completely right there needs to be a market place and standardization on pricing to really cut down on people using their music without permission. Most samplers love the music their sampling and if asked by other producers to be sampled themselves, would be happy to for simple compensation in return. I'm sure some Indy artists would be flattered enough to be sampled for free. So most this sampling isn't done for greed but lack of resources to negotiate with these artists, IF you can find the rights holder to begin with. A lot of music is held by foreign owned corporations, eccentric wealthy people who thought it be nostalgic to own the catalog from some small little known 70s band, or greedy record label conglomerates who got the rights after they bought them in a fire sale when the record label who created the music went bankrupt.

All im really saying is its near impossible for a tiny player to get a sampled clear on a mixtape. If they want more to comply, standardize prices, group them into between 1 to 4 databases and mediate through a completely neutral unemotional 3rd party. They'd probably make more money that way because of the long tail theory

Last edited:
The day an upcoming artist/producer gets sued for the $30 they made off their mixtape will be a very sad day indeed...
You are missing the point. He is not talking about the small time guys. He is bringing up the major artists who are making a lot of money from sampling the old school songs and not wanting to pay them for their material. I think what he said is totally fair. If I am making a great living in large part because I sampled your record then yeah you deserve some of that bread. I am not saying give them 100% of the record but they deserve something worth while especially if you are living or rapping about living this lavish lifestyle but then screwing over someone who paved the way for you.

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

You don't have to sample anymore... LIVE 9 will strip the melody, harmony or drums out of any song and all you have to do is slap your own instrument or drums over the midi that LIVE 9 renders.

Old school artists won't even recognize their own songs... just delete some of the midi notes or rearrange 'em. You no longer have to know music to make music... sad but GREAT! at the same time for people like me, lol.

... works fast as hell too. I was using it yesterday on drum patterns. Some drum loops came with this CD I bought. I converted the drums to midi and put in my own drums... sounded awesome, lol.

ALSO!!! people used to complain about the "sound" of Ableton LIVE... well, in LIVE 9 they fixed all of that. I didn't have any plugins on the master channel or any channel and everything sounded "pristine"...

Oh, you can beat box your drum patterns into LIVE now... yezzir.

WHOOT! Learn about it....

CONVERT AUDIO TO MIDI

One of the most exciting new features announced in Live 9 is called Convert Audio to MIDI. This will allow users to extract MIDI note data from an audio file and place those notes in a new MIDI clip. This function really opens up some mind-boggling compositional possibilities, allowing you to ‘borrow’ a musical part from one source and transform it into something entirely different, or use your voice to input original MIDI parts instead of a keyboard or other controller.

“I have been fortunate enough to use the Live 9 beta for a while now and my favorite feature by far is the Convert Harmony to MIDI function. As an artist whose compositions use a lot of sample based material, this opens up so many doors in terms of isolating specific chords or melodies in a song, getting just the midi note data, and then manipulating those melodies and chords to your liking, all while leaving the audio sample behind. I think a lot of people will start revisiting their old samples and find lots of new ways to use what is there.”

Thavius Beck, Electronic musician, Ableton Certified Trainer, and Dubspot Instructor
Its been around for a while. It was originally a vst called Melodyne that the Live stuff is based on. Melodyne has been around since at least 2004. And beyond that the version in Live don't work right. I beta tested it looking forward to using that feature and the audio to midi stuff plain sucks right now.

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

So what you're saying Rome is that general nobodies(no offence to anyone, but most of us are on the come up trying to make a name for ourselves) are having their shit bought, then resold? I can't really see the market in that, plus the legal issues surrounding it means you going to have to have a smart proxy set up... Also... There are ways of getting the music for free... Why on earth would they look round for the best deal when they know God damn well they can download our music free of charge...

I'm interested about Ableton Live though, if all of what you said is true. It's a shame that music is becoming so easy to make, however, as you said, it's also amazing...
A lot of people don't want to steal and want to find good prices. They don't know what retailers are legit and what ones aren't online and its not for the consumer to really know up front. All they should know is that they are buying a product but yeah people do that all the time. Hell even on FP Lab Dummy takes posts from other people's youtube channels rips the video posts it on his channel places ads on it and gets a check for being a YouTube partner off it. Its the way of the world right now. I'm not judging him I just noticed it a long time ago and a lot of other people are doing the same thing. The problem with digital media is that most people don't respect it because its not a physical object. Even with music back in the day it wasn't a big deal to most because music only existed on physical items cds, records, tapes ect. Now those are gone and people say well I don't buy things I can't own so I won't buy it and the software companies basically tell you in the EULA that you don't own anything anyway so some people feel like they are just giving away money. its a catch 22 all the way around

You are missing the point. He is not talking about the small time guys. He is bringing up the major artists who are making a lot of money from sampling the old school songs and not wanting to pay them for their material. I think what he said is totally fair. If I am making a great living in large part because I sampled your record then yeah you deserve some of that bread. I am not saying give them 100% of the record but they deserve something worth while especially if you are living or rapping about living this lavish lifestyle but then screwing over someone who paved the way for you.

A lot of people don't want to steal and want to find good prices. They don't know what retailers are legit and what ones aren't online and its not for the consumer to really know up front. All they should know is that they are buying a product but yeah people do that all the time. Hell even on FP Lab Dummy takes posts from other people's youtube channels rips the video posts it on his channel places ads on it and gets a check for being a YouTube partner off it. Its the way of the world right now. I'm not judging him I just noticed it a long time ago and a lot of other people are doing the same thing. The problem with digital media is that most people don't respect it because its not a physical object. Even with music back in the day it wasn't a big deal to most because music only existed on physical items cds, records, tapes ect. Now those are gone and people say well I don't buy things I can't own so I won't buy it and the software companies basically tell you in the EULA that you don't own anything anyway so some people feel like they are just giving away money. its a catch 22 all the way around

I didn't miss the point at all, my original post was just a general consensus. It wasn't aimed at the video, in all honesty, I hadn't even watched the video when I posted that. But I do agree with you...

When I buy music from someone, I go straight to the labels page(If I know it) and buy from the labels store... If peoples thought process is "Well, he/she's my favourite artist, he/she deserves some money off his/her album sales but I don't want to give him/her a whole $1.30" (this is if they don't know how the money is split and what have you)... Then, in my opinion, you're still cheating him/her... If you're thinking how you can save money... Then you might as well be buying the records for FREE.

I agree with the whole catch 22 idea though. That's why my next few projects are only available on CD... If I put something online, I generally want it to be free... (Though if the label I'm in talks with says 'you can't just put it out as a hard copy, you need downloads off iTunes' then I'll have to listen. Or stay independent and then not be able to put my shit out...

Last edited:
i'll meet you in the ring...lmao greedy old fucck

Greedy for wanting to be compensated for his work?
Maybe compare what that old man made on his entire career to what these new guys made off of the single before calling him greedy.
Dont get confused- That old man is right.

CONVERT AUDIO TO MIDI
+1
Its a messy workflow kinda, but its something worth having available.

Anyone not using Live, check out a Reaktor ensemble called The Mouth.
It actually works better than what is in Live from what I hear so far.

Apple and Amazon are coming up with a way to sue you...

People are buying full songs on iTunes and Amazon for $1.29... they like the songs and they want them BUT !!!

... they are building websites and reselling the songs for cheaper, let's say $0.79... and they're doing quite well, lol.

... too bad you guys didn't think of that before Apple and Amazon caught on...

Are you a hustler for real? or just playing one on the internet.

The people buy the song once for $1.29 and resell it MULTIPLE times for $0.79... oh, behave...
For anyone living in the US, or a G8 country, that is a seriously dangerous hustle. Id rather sling yowder lol.

There are a million sites scraping and selling everything imaginable. Art, music, movies, ringtones. Even SoundCloud gets scraped and sold off.
But, all of those sites, and most of the operators of those sites, are not in the US.
(Or, they are tiny and unknown, or, they will be busted in two months lol.)
Once they get so big, sites arent 'hidden' from the authorities, they are just not worth the trouble of prosecuting because of where they are, or where their money is.
And that is not going to change much real soon, even with the 'copyright treaties' going around, and no matter what iTunes or Amazon would like.

Running something like that on any big scale while in the US is pretty dangerous.
The second the people looking see that either you or the money or the web design has a connection where the US legal system can get you, they can jump. Otherwise, their hands are tied.

Anyone in the US who even touches the back end of a sketchy project like that, even without making any profit themselves, has to be very careful, just in case the authorities are looking for someone in their jurisdiction to pick on.

Look at the kid they nailed just for coding for a site that didnt even host any copyrighted files.
He volunteered his work to a site that did not host any copyrighted content, and they went and nailed him just because he was the one guy in the US...

Thats called an interpolation my friend. You still need sample clearance if you will be replaying elements of a particular song. You are still copying the musical material, but playing it your self instead of sampling the actual audio.

You don't have to sample anymore... LIVE 9 will strip the melody, harmony or drums out of any song and all you have to do is slap your own instrument or drums over the midi that LIVE 9 renders.

Old school artists won't even recognize their own songs... just delete some of the midi notes or rearrange 'em. You no longer have to know music to make music... sad but GREAT! at the same time for people like me, lol.

... works fast as hell too. I was using it yesterday on drum patterns. Some drum loops came with this CD I bought. I converted the drums to midi and put in my own drums... sounded awesome, lol.

ALSO!!! people used to complain about the "sound" of Ableton LIVE... well, in LIVE 9 they fixed all of that. I didn't have any plugins on the master channel or any channel and everything sounded "pristine"...

Oh, you can beat box your drum patterns into LIVE now... yezzir.

WHOOT! Learn about it....

CONVERT AUDIO TO MIDI

One of the most exciting new features announced in Live 9 is called Convert Audio to MIDI. This will allow users to extract MIDI note data from an audio file and place those notes in a new MIDI clip. This function really opens up some mind-boggling compositional possibilities, allowing you to ‘borrow’ a musical part from one source and transform it into something entirely different, or use your voice to input original MIDI parts instead of a keyboard or other controller.

“I have been fortunate enough to use the Live 9 beta for a while now and my favorite feature by far is the Convert Harmony to MIDI function. As an artist whose compositions use a lot of sample based material, this opens up so many doors in terms of isolating specific chords or melodies in a song, getting just the midi note data, and then manipulating those melodies and chords to your liking, all while leaving the audio sample behind. I think a lot of people will start revisiting their old samples and find lots of new ways to use what is there.”

Thavius Beck, Electronic musician, Ableton Certified Trainer, and Dubspot Instructor

It's not thinking before you sample, it's just clear your damn samples. It's not rocket science (at least if you're on a major label) like c'mon now.

Greedy for wanting to be compensated for his work?
Maybe compare what that old man made on his entire career to what these new guys made off of the single before calling him greedy.
Dont get confused- That old man is right.

he already got compensated when that kanye's beat ended up on the blueprint (a multi-platinum selling album), but that ain't enough i guess? how you gonna sue a guy who helped you get paid 'cause he rapped on his own beat and that shit ended up on some free mixtape?

Its greedy for someone to want to be compensated for their work? I hope someone jacks your beats with that kind of attitude and I am sure you will change your tune.

i hope you get a placement on a major label, clear the sample, then get sued cause you raped over that beat and uploaded the song on your youtube channel?

read that post above yours, he already got compensated for that kanye track...

Back