Static during vinyl playback

M

Mystile

Im getting static while playing any record on one of my turntables...its not wire hiss or hum, it only happens when a record is played...ive swapped out the cables, and the preamp/mixer, still the same result....so im guessing its the needle or stylus maybe? or is there a setting on the turntable that could be causing this that i can tweak? any help would be greatly appreciated...im hoooping to be able to fix this without purchasing any parts, but need to figure out exactly what the problem is first

Sounds like its somewhere in the area of the needle/cartridge. I would post this in the djing section, those dudes could prob help more.

Im getting static while playing any record on one of my turntables...its not wire hiss or hum, it only happens when a record is played...ive swapped out the cables, and the preamp/mixer, still the same result....so im guessing its the needle or stylus maybe? or is there a setting on the turntable that could be causing this that i can tweak? any help would be greatly appreciated...im hoooping to be able to fix this without purchasing any parts, but need to figure out exactly what the problem is first

Get groove glide, clean your records, this will clean the record and remove any static charge the record has. Get a stanton stylis cleaning kit, clean the needles. Take isoprophol alcohol, wet a rag with it, clean one of your cable jacks, let the jack dry, once dry plug it in and pull it out of each jack 5 times, this will clean your jacks. Adjust your tonearms so they are level/balanced and make sure they are not pulling to the left or right. Test your mixer and/or interface which you are sending signal to with another device to see if that isn't the issue. Make sure you are not setting the mixers input gains too high. Generally if you turn a mixers gains higher than 10-11 o'clock you will start distorting the signal.

If all else fails you need new stylis or your turntables need maintenance.

clean your records and your needle and see if that helps. if thats not the issue it may be time for a new needle. I like to replace mine every 3 years

clean your records and your needle and see if that helps. if thats not the issue it may be time for a new needle. I like to replace mine every 3 years

It can actually be more than that. That is why I made that long ass post before ;p

Does this happen with records you've played before that have never had this static?

Does this happen with records you've played before that have never had this static?

Records can actually gather a static charge over time. If you want to see if your record has a static charge get a styrofoam plastic packing peanut and see if it sticks to your record. That will tell you if your record has a residual charge on it. If it does you should use grooveglide to remove this charge.

I know.
You can also tell when it shocks you, or you hear the actual static when you pull the record out of the sleeve lol. But, we can't be 100% sure thought that the problem is from a static charge.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

BTW, Mystile, what ever happened with those records you were trying to get rid of?

I know.
You can also tell when it shocks you, or you hear the actual static when you pull the record out of the sleeve lol. But, we can't be 100% sure thought that the problem is from a static charge.

Thats why I like to err on the safe side and just de-static them with grooveglide anyways. I find grooveglide can build up though over time and leave this waxy crap on your records that may gum up the needle so I also use stanton vinyl cleaner on them every so often to clear off all the grooveglide build up.

Sadly there is also the chance that the record may have just reached it's limit and the needle has created permanent static from eating into the groove too much. That is when you better hope that record is still in print.

Ya for sure, I always de-static my record(s) when I first get them.

I was asking the OP if this happens to previously fine records because it would be very strange if all of his records were starting to get charges out of nowhere. If previously fine records (and any newly acquired records) are playing like this, I would assume that the issue is in the stylus.

Ya for sure, I always de-static my record(s) when I first get them.

I was asking the OP if this happens to previously fine records because it would be very strange if all of his records were starting to get charges out of nowhere. If previously fine records (and any newly acquired records) are playing like this, I would assume that the issue is in the stylus.

Yeah, thats why I gave him the whole break down of everything he can do at home to eliminate as many possible causes as he can. One thing it also could be is static on the needle itself. I know they can also sometimes gather a charge. One other possibility if his power at home. He may need to get a power conditioner.

Back