Should i sell my maschine for an MPC 2000xl?

Talkin2Wallz

watup guys my main daw is Reason but ive been thinking about going to MPC route for a while, thats the main reason why i bought a Maschine in the first place (thought id be safer with the hardware/software). i dunno if its just me, but i was disappointed with Maschine personally. Just in my opinion i felt that the sound i was getting (compared to reason) was alot thinner and the eqs n effects werent doing it for me. In short, i was making worse tracks with maschine, even after i got it down and after a few months went back to reason (instantly made way better tracks).

now i know that it doesnt matter what you use, but im feeling like an MPC would give me better quality tracks than a maschine would. No offense to anyone who has a maschine but when i search up soulful sampled tracks on youtube, the producers on MPCs just kill it, and the ones on maschine arent as good IMO (this is something that also worries me about the maschine)

the main reason i wanna switch from reason is just the way you sample, im growing tired of reason/record combo, i dont wanna have to reopen recycle n save the new chops everytime i wanna make an edit nah mean?

thoughts??

My friend. I here you on the bit about reason. I used I use that software and it is very annoying having to use a second software for chopping. Especially when recycle is so dreadfully inferior in its one minuscule task. With that said I'm a satisfied maschine user and I produce boombap sample based hiphop. You absolutely can not base you're opinion of what is better for sample based hiphop on going through YouTube videos. I'm honestly not just saying this because I like my Maschine either but the guys you are watching on those MPC videos have also taken the time to master the ins and outs of their particular machine. It's just like anything else. Also if your goal ultimately is to do sample based hiphop and you're talking about going to a 2000xl your are talking about a MAJOR step backward from Maschine not only in with sampling but most of the other features as well. If you are worried about sound and you don't like the drum sounds buy or even just download new ones and build your own kits. Or if you're a purist grab your records and start snatching drum samples straight from vinyl. There is no difference. By getting a 2000xl , assuming you know the ins and outs of your maschine, it will absolutely double your production time. You will have to dump every track into a DAW to mix and I'm not talking about Drag and drop man. It's not that simple. Most MPC guys will tell you that that process can be exhaustive. So with all of that in mind and you still wanna buy an MPC I would highly recommend that you at minimum get yourself into an MPC1000 but preferably a MPC2500 if you want to have closer the capability to Maschine but its still not quite there. Good luck bro. Whatever you do though make sure you take the time to master it because there's cats out here making fire boombap tracks with fruity loops haha.

The reason my MPC 2kxl just sits on my desk while I chop away in Ableton, is because if have ADD and the process (while fun) takes a lot longer setting up -- I lose focus and get distracted. Also, saving/syncing/loading up is slower.

IMO get something that has usb

so MPC 1k then haha

i want to add ive never used an MPC before, what is the difference between it and Maschine as far as sampling, drums and sound qualitygoes. IMO on Maschine the sound quality is thin for me. When I try and get down with Maschine and im just wack, but on Reason i knock out good tracks. Im just feeling like an MPC would be a better Maschine at this point....

IMO im not a fan of the drum samples maschine came with, they just arent very good to me and they hardly have any punch, i had to sample my own drums from records, and with the maschine software it takes so long for me to figure out to get my drums to knock, even my own drums (EQs/effects blow IMO, and im obviously a Reason head so i dont kno much about vsts) but on reason its a breeze for me.

I dont believe i would have this same trouble on an MPC, ive seen many ppl with knockin drums on the MPC thoughts??

Put it this way. If reason works for you stick with it. I don't know where you are getting that Maschine stock drums sound thin. And native instruments is known for their software/effects so... And sampling in maschine is probably the fastest process I've ever used. But honestly it sounds to me like you're not gonna be happy until you buy an mpc. If you wanna get it then get it. It just kinda sounds to me like you think your gonna get your mpc and its magically going to turn you into Pete Rock. I mean if you don't take the time to learn it it will sit in the closet. Part of the reason why maschine and mpc are so fast is because you have to learn the hardware. And with an mpc you will not have the safety net of the mouse like in Reason. On my maschine I could be making a beat for an hour without even looking up at the computer screen. Keep in mind with the mpc that is what u r in for but not just for the hour. Since you don't like maschine but you like reason maybe you would like the Renaissance. Same premise but its an MPC.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

And btw.. What gives you the impression you won't have those same issues with an MPC?

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

p.s. or just stick with reason an get an mpd or Mpk type controller for the feel

nono i think your getting me wrong. I wouldnt have bought a Maschine in the first place if all i wanted was an MP, i understand that i would have to get a bunch of other stuff with it and there are possibilities of problems as well, thats why im asking ppl who have one. its why i made this post, so i dont make a decision i end up regretting.

Ill also trying digging deeper into Maschine, the reason i got one is because of how well you can sample on maschine, which is really quick.

and yep ive been using my maschine as a midi controller when im not on my keyboard.

And no, i dont think it will magically make me better, i kno quite well it does not matter what you use as long as the music is good. The reason i thought of switching from software was just to see if i would prefer it.

I hear you bro. Just put it this way. If you wanna go hardware just get it. The 1000 is a good machine. Get the fat pads and install the jjos. Everything I've read says that's the way to go. Also if you don't like the drums there are tons of sites that you can buy the mpc sounds from and make your own kits in Maschine. Check out Maschinemasters.com it's a forum/ tutorial community filled with a lot of knowledgable people. Guaranteed there's someone there that can help you achieve what you want to do. Also if you still want a 1000 check out mpc-forums.com lots of people who really know their ish when it comes to mpc. I belong to both and both sites have helped me.

I wanna thank you for taking the time to answer my questions man, i really appreciate it! really! Alot of ppl i know also like the Maschine alot so it must be something that i am doing. I will check out those sites right now and try to relearn the Maschine.

thanks again!

I wouldn't buy a mpc 2000xl these days. Its a huge step backwards imo. They're 14 year old machines good luck finding floppy disks for them. That's a big part of why I don't use hardware samplers anymore. I love Maschine on the flip side. instead of buying a new mpc it sounds like the sound is bugging you why not try some other effects since Maschine can host vsts. There are a lot of great vst effects out there many great free or inexpensive ones in fact. I've never actually touched Maschine's internal fx. I have the full T-Racks collection so I just use the compressors and eqs from there. And I use my fx from amplitube or guitar rig for delays, reverbs, chorus ect.

I don't know where you live, but the Guitar Center by me has a MPC hooked up. Go in there and make a quick beat to see if you like it. Saved me a ton of money, I just bought a MPD and kept it moving.

I recently just pre-ordered Ableton Live 9 & the Akai-Ableton Push controller.. it's worth taking a look at this too if you're giving up your current setup.. The thing with this setup is that you get straight to beatmaking and less of the setting up sounds etc and you pretty much do everything on the controller itself which is more like a musical instrument and you dont need to switch between computer mouse & keyboard and controller whilst doing your thang.. Then once you layout your track you get the power of the PC and can do your final mixing / mastering. Demo is available for you to preview too, you get a 30-day free trial

Last edited:
I recently just pre-ordered Ableton Live 9 & the Akai-Ableton Push controller.. it's worth taking a look at this too if you're giving up your current setup.. The thing with this setup is that you get straight to beatmaking and less of the setting up sounds etc and you pretty much do everything on the controller itself which is more like a musical instrument and you dont need to switch between computer mouse & keyboard and controller whilst doing your thang.. Then once you layout your track you get the power of the PC and can do your final mixing / mastering. Demo is available for you to preview too, you get a 30-day free trial

Im not an ableton person.. no real reaon other than i couldnt catch on but I saw on Instagram that skibeatz got the beta and said it was really good and that almost every complaint users had about the previous version was addressed in 9. And if you like the Maschine style workflow but really like Ableton then it's a no brainer. I saw the vid for that Push and it looks really fantastic. Let us know your thoughts when you get it please. Maybe if you have time drop a thread in the hardware forum as I'm sure many others are vey curious! Thanks

I have the Live 9 beta and prefer Live 8. The new browser is horrible. The midi to audio stuff is cool but I don't really use it. I dislike Live stock fx and instruments because they are hard for me to use so they see little use. They do sound good though. The Glue is a great compressor but imo that is the best thing about Live 9 unless you are buying Push and I am not sure that Push is nearly as connected to Live as everyone thinks it will be. It will be connected to your Live instruments and fx, the sequencer, and the clip view. You can't warp loops with Push. You can't open and close or tweak vsts with Push. I am not sure that you can arrange your song in the arrangement mode with Push but you can probably arrange scenes which is how I generally work with Live anyway. Cats tell me I am crazy but right now I am thinking Maschine might actually be a better controller for Live than Push. I am not sure yet but from what I have seen its hard to argue against it.

the only use my maschine gets is being a midi controller lol. I haven't utilized the actual software since the first couple months I owned it. Should have just bought a MPD I think :(

Back