Sampling Process

WestCoaster

Lately ive been feeling like my beats dont sound official like other producers. i wanted to tell you about my sampling process and see if i can get some help. first i find the track that i want to sample. from there i chop it in 1 to 2 bar loops. i put them in different fl slicers and arrange my sample. then i go in and program drums around the sample... do u think that my beats arent sounding good because im not playing them out with a midi controller? every time i go to play them out with my mpd8 i get a lot of clicks and pops in my sample. this is the reason that i posted a previous thread on buying an mpc. i have posted a link to my soundcloud if you could please take a listen maybe you can hear what im talking about. thank you for any help you can give me.

Sean Kelly aka King Kelz's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Those clicks and pops are most likely due to your chopping. Zoom in as much as you can on your starting and ending points of your chops and if the chop on the soundwave occurs anywhere but the 0 axis, then you will get a pop or click sound occuring.

As for your sampling technique, always chopping on a 1 or 2 bar basis will make it harder for you to manipulate sounds and directions, and come up with something original out of the beat. Manually chop on different parts of the sample and try to come up with something that sounds original but also makes sense musically. The only way to learn this is through practice.

Back