sampling jazz tracks

B

buddhahood

how do all these producers do it? it seems that jazz is really fast or really slow. i mean, do they speed the tracks up like bob james' angela in cabfare, or do they find little pieces of music that are faster or slower than others?

a lot of it is chopping... if you chop, its pretty easy to get the tempo to match whatever you want.

a lot of them pitch up though, just by playing records at 331/3 on the tt.

Most of my samples are Jazz. It's easy...i just sample it how i would sample anything else.

SP

Stréetwíze Productnz said:
Most of my samples are Jazz. It's easy...i just sample it how i would sample anything else.

SP

Same here.. Not any different then sampling a soul track.. or anything.

I just wanted to let streetwize know that sample or composition piece for rhodes and blues is ....hot... con:work on ya drum programming or arrangement.

eccentric1 said:
I just wanted to let streetwize know that sample or composition piece for rhodes and blues is ....hot... con:work on ya drum programming or arrangement.

lol

Thanks a lot bro...that is a really old song....years old. I have improved a lot since then ha ha.

Thanks for checking that out though!

SP

eccentric1
Registered User Join Date: Oct 2005

yep you right I love getting one shot joints spread it on the keys and just rip crazy
DANOCPICLOGO.jpg

Last edited:
now that i think about it, i feel hella dumb for asking this question

what all these guys said is true ,
but, you shouldnt feel dumb mang

jazz is notorious for odd time signatures and off ass beats,

not to mention, a live jazz track is rarely (or never) a set tempo.

so,i can see where you might run into some trouble lockin in yer samps and what not with it,

I feel you. Jazz music has a lot of variation and art into it. Too me jazz is the most work when chopping. Not hard though. Usually you get the illiest vibe when you done with it. You got to throw a lot your music theory knowledge to the wind, cause a lot of that ish organic; off time signature, but on purpose. Miles and them are geniuses, Nah Mean

unlike soul and rock, jazz usually isnt 4/4 or 2/3 time signature or anything so its really impossible to do loops of any kind. you basically have to chop each sample into hits or nothing more than 2 or 3 different waves in each sample, so that way u can make it into something with a 4/4 time signature.

basically just take a beat someone made from a jazz sample, listen to it, listen to the original song, and listen to how they did it.

another good way is to do wut i do.....actually listen to jazz music like u listen to hiphop

and jazz actually started at the time wen marijuana wus getting popular down in New Orleans.....the roots of jazz comes from smokin weed.......

so go smoke a joint or 2 and listen to ur jazz records and maybe that'll help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
jazz is in 4/4 time homie...just heavily syncopated

Back