Sampling has me feeling uncreative

DirtySouthD

So yeah, I feel like Im uncreative when I do a sample, I can chop it up and go 16th or 8th by 16th or 8th and make some hot melodys, or whatever, but I always feel like Im just taking someone elses work and putting a kick drum snare and a hi hat behind it. It makes me feel uncreative. Ive got the maschine and mpk49 and I love them both but I cant seem to get the feel of other producers who use samples. /end story

Then sampling isn't for you. Imo sampling is harder than composing because it's harder to take someone else's music and make it your own. Sampling isn't stealing, shit Michael Jackson sampled and he's arguably the greatest recording artist of all time. You probably aren't finding the right samples, dig for better samples.

you havent let you mind be at ease dont force it,, make beats cause its fun an its what u love to dont for anyone but yourself ,, music is suppose to be funn .. when your to critical it doesnt help your creative side when your being so anal..no homo

dont get caught up inn what other people are doing jus do u ...

Last edited by a moderator:
thats just some ppl. Everytime i play my parents a sample beat they hit me with the Why cant you just make your own....they just dont get it lol

thats just some ppl. Everytime i play my parents a sample beat they hit me with the Why cant you just make your own....they just dont get it lol
lol thats been the argument from day one. its better than what my mom says though. she doesnt understand why I still choose to make music telling me "u been doing it for 10 years now and you are not famous and wasn't that the point?" she likes my records only because she thinks shes going to find something she likes only to find a bunch of Super Tramp and ask why I listen to "white people music"?

They just dont get it! hahaha. I tell them man, people like this shit! For one, its fun as hell to take a song and turn it into something COMPLETELY different (doesnt that count as making your own?) and two its like...classic hip hop shit. Its just....idk it just is what it is and they just dont get it. They dont even listen to rap or hip hop so i dont care what they say haha.

compose and listen to lots, if you have your own style and listen much music there should be times where you see the genius in x and want to sample it to make it sound what you like to produce/listen to... if you keep composing you should at times hear a tune in your minds eye that fits to what you are composing.... just free flow on composing and if you never get any music you know seem to play along with what you compose, you are no sampler and never will be

you havent let you mind be at ease dont force it,, make beats cause its fun an its what u love to dont for anyone but yourself ,, music is suppose to be funn .. when your to critical it doesnt help your creative side when your being so anal..no homo

dont get caught up inn what other people are doing jus do u ...

The Truth..

there's way more to do with sampling than just chopping by 8ths or 16s, putting drums and a bassline over it and calling it a beat.

They just dont get it! hahaha. I tell them man, people like this shit! For one, its fun as hell to take a song and turn it into something COMPLETELY different (doesnt that count as making your own?) and two its like...classic hip hop shit. Its just....idk it just is what it is and they just dont get it. They dont even listen to rap or hip hop so i dont care what they say haha.
I just tell them most of the time that I am making keyboard sounds and selling them and they leave me alone. That's not too far from the truth though I do use the records to make sounds and I do plan on releasing some banks but still it eliminates a lot of convo i dont feel like hearing
there's way more to do with sampling than just chopping by 8ths or 16s, putting drums and a bassline over it and calling it a beat.
huh? niggas been doing that for years. Dj Premier made a career off it lol

^ of course he has. thread starter was feeling uncreative and pretty much saying all he does is that, but wants more. there's more he can do if he wants to.

then be more involved with your sampling. chop notes from diff instruments from all over an obscure song (see sig lol) and make your own melodies. You don't always have to chop on the beat, that often gets boring to me too. Experiment and play around with different ways to chop samples. Speed up, slow down vocals, add cool fx, just be creative man.

Last edited:
I agree with the post above mine.

Sampling is just a technique. Yeah a culture of diggin for records and such has spawned from it.

But at the end of the day, sampling is just a technique. You have to remember to put your own spin and flavor on whatever you do
when it comes to music and art in general. The key is not to think to much into it, and just create, and have fun.
Thats what its all about!

"Once you stop having fun at something, its time to move on..."

^ of course he has. thread starter was feeling uncreative and pretty much saying all he does is that, but wants more. there's more he can do if he wants to.
well yeah there is lots of stuff you can do but when it comes down to it you have to really want to be create imo. its not something that just happens

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

I agree with the post above mine.

Sampling is just a technique. Yeah a culture of diggin for records and such has spawned from it.

But at the end of the day, sampling is just a technique. You have to remember to put your own spin and flavor on whatever you do
when it comes to music and art in general. The key is not to think to much into it, and just create, and have fun.
Thats what its all about!

"Once you stop having fun at something, its time to move on..."
in what way has the culture of digging spawned from sampling? people were digging for records (particularly rare ones) before the technology to sample was available. Did I miss something?

Sampling is the basis of hip hop.

Creativity comes when you have limited resources. I don't think you shouldnt sample if you've got this attitude, i actually think its partly a positive thing. If you don't feel like your doing too much, you probably arnt, so work into it.

In this day and age anybody and theyre dog can make beats, so just simply adding a boom bap drum pattern probably wont do the trick for you. Which is why people try to find rare samples in the first place, many others try to chop the sample up til its un recognisable, which is also always good.

But if your lacking inspiration for sampling i'd recommend checking out a few producers that do it well and that depends on your own preferences. I personally am currently lookin at alot of Elequent beats, Alot of Jaisu - as of right now. Its always good to know how the original sample sounds too.

Last edited:
I got into sampling after i had composed my own stuff for a while and it helped me to be more creative with the samples. sampling just isnt for everyone

i had the same problem.

Thats why i started composing on top of my samples.
And recreating stuff thats inside the sample and layer that on top of it.
So you basically have that great sampled sound but still make it a lot of your own.

Nobody forces you to use samples in your tunes.
What about just sampling a small part and making the rest of the sounds with synthesizers? Gramatik is a great example on how to mix those two things.

Sampling is definitely an art form. There are arguments that traditional musicians 'work harder' to come up with melodies and everything, but I disagree. Sampling is like taking a piece of cheese and transforming it into an apple. You took something that already existed in one form and breaking it down, rearranging it, and remixing it into something completely new. Its a work of art.

Back