Sampling a bass note and making it sound fatter

prophecy31

I have a bass sampled from a micron keyboard but trying to make it a more phatter hip hop sounding bass, something like a 9th wonder or black milk bass sound. what filters should i use to do this?

LP (Low Pass) or BP (Band Pass) filter help. But you also have to hit the bass with a bit of distortion and EQ boost (rolling off the mids and hi's helps too).

what he said...put a LP filter down to 10 or 11 till its just bass, and adjust that to the relation of the song its in. also tubes can add alot of warmth and low end to sounds/samples.

Layer a sub bass underneath it ( pure sine ) Make sure the sampled bass doesn't generate any sub, so use a HP filter at a cut off point where the sine wave is providing the bottom end. That should give you the weight.

Now for a an extra bit of presence and fatness, make a copy of the sampled bass and apply some chorus and maybe a bit of distortion, the chorus will give some width and the distortion will add extra harmonics, HP filter this and pull the channel fader right down. Now edge it up slowly alongside your sine/sampled bass until you just start to hear it having an effect.

I always think bass sounds fatter when the main bottom end is in mono and free of any effects. If you want to add a bit of 'shimmer' or with chorusing or distortion or whatever, HP filter it at at least 100hz and balance the levels of the 2 signals until you get the required sound, the maybe set up a buss and compress the 2 signals together. The reason why the effected copy of the bass is HP filtered is that this leaves the low end completely clean and a much more solid sound.

Try it, works great.

to the person who asked, im using the MPC effects and filters to phatten up the bass. Thanks delphine, i will try that and see what I get.

Back