Sampling

S

Supa_Nova

Yo, I'm all for this sampling phenomenon and shyt, but what's up wit these cats just cuttin' up a sample and layin it on a drum track? where's the musicality? It's hard to cut a sample, I know, but damn, can we get an original idea, an original melody. I've sample before. Made a killa ass track too, but this is gettin old. A lot of cats is bitin people's style i.e. Kanye, Just blaze, needlz and alchemist, that's coo and everything, but let's try to change music, not conform to what's hot. That's our responsibily as the future producers. Had anyone done it how Kanyezy did it b4 he came in the game, or tha 'Tunes? No. They changed music as we new it. That's what we should strive for.

Holla at me.

Supa_Nova said:
Had anyone done it how Kanyezy did it b4 he came in the game, or tha 'Tunes? No. They changed music as we new it. That's what we should strive for.

Holla at me.

Actually N.O.I.D was doing this before Kanye, and Rza before NOID.

tru, but were they doin it how kanye does it? they all had different ways of sampling.That's beside the point. most of these cats nowadays just bite.

Rza was doin that **** in 94 Dre was loopin **** on The Chronic who didnt loop who cares if its hot its hot stop worryin about how cats made it

NoI.D was kanyes mentor before he really came into the industry

you ask how has kanye has changed music since he came in. well until blueprint dropped everybody was usin their keyboards and makin synth driven beats and the south was startin to blow up with trick daddy and cash money. then kanye came to the game and was soul samplin. all of a sudden you hear alot of beats with sped up vocal samples. yes that is due to kanye (and just blaze too). then you have even big name producers biting him (*cough* cool and dre *cough*) and all the bedroom producers in the world try sampling. so he changed the game by jus makin his beats and bein good at it.

Quick question:
Why did you start this thread?

Anyways. I understand what your saying about people biting and all but not about cutting a sample then laying some drums. I undrstand if some one just loops a top ten soul record then drops some drums under it. That isn't creative at all. But then again if you hit the trift store and find this japanese orchastra record that has a great loop on it and just use that as it is that is perfectly creative. If you find a great loop more time than not it'll sound horridble after you chop it and do everything else you would to try an make it more "MUSICAL". Some of the greatest tracks were made my "cutting" a sample then layering some drums under the sample. When people sample like P. Diddy then that is uncreative. Don't get it twisted!

Yo, I feel that, the musicality. I have nothing against sampling. I sample all the time. Sampling is what hip hop is, samples of other music. Now other music is sampling hip hop. Anyway, I just get mad at those cats that just grab a record that was hot, speed it up, drop a drum beat and a wack ass bassline and call it "My Beat"! That's some bull****. Hurray for sampling, boo for those who steal. That's all I'm sayin.

Supa_Nova said:
Yo, I feel that, the musicality. I have nothing against sampling. I sample all the time. Sampling is what hip hop is, samples of other music. Now other music is sampling hip hop. Anyway, I just get mad at those cats that just grab a record that was hot, speed it up, drop a drum beat and a wack ass bassline and call it "My Beat"! That's some bull****. Hurray for sampling, boo for those who steal. That's all I'm sayin.

Yeah, I think people need to be original. Now it's like every underground producer is trying to speed up vocal samples just like Kanye (even sucka's from FP). As a producer you gotta go left when everyone goes right.

Not everyones sample game is gonna be tight. The same way everyones composition game is not always on point. Don't waste time worrying about what 'wack' producers are doing...if they don't have what it takes...the game will weed them out.

Supa_Nova said:
Yo, I'm all for this sampling phenomenon and shyt, but what's up wit these cats just cuttin' up a sample and layin it on a drum track? where's the musicality? It's hard to cut a sample, I know, but damn, can we get an original idea, an original melody. I've sample before. Made a killa ass track too, but this is gettin old. A lot of cats is bitin people's style i.e. Kanye, Just blaze, needlz and alchemist, that's coo and everything, but let's try to change music, not conform to what's hot. That's our responsibily as the future producers. Had anyone done it how Kanyezy did it b4 he came in the game, or tha 'Tunes? No. They changed music as we new it. That's what we should strive for.

Holla at me.

what you said is koo...but seriously what makes it a phenomenon?

just curious.....cause i been sampling since i started this **** about 6 or 7 years ago....

honestly..the phenomenon is the keyboard ****....

i get what your saying about this and it's a fair point, but producing is about more than taking a sample and putting a beat to it...the producer arranges the track, musically and structurally. The also help the emcee get there ish right...and get a performance on tape..there is alot of skill involved...

worry bout ya own ****...u aint gonna even hear half the **** these "future producers" are makin anyway so why does it concern u?

No ID is incredible. just look for the songs "resurrection" and "i used to love h.e.r." if you want a brief introduction to what he did. i dont know what hes doing now, but the common resurrection album was as good as it gets.

Back